Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feral Dogs

ACC, I will tell you what has worked on coyotes for me and it is a 223 with 50 gr bullets and a mid load of TAC powder. I don't think the 32/20 will put enough shock in an animal that size to give you a DRT, although it will work, just not fast enough to keep them from dragging off to be a front poarch ornament. I bought the 50 gr bullets from Mid South Shooters Supply in a bag of 500 and they make a coyote "slosh" when you pick one up afterwards. I shoot them in my Mini-14 with a 20 rd magazine and never had one run away after a decent hit. It is a shame that you are having to deal with the problem but livestock needs protecting. If there are any small children in your family, they are clearly in danger as well.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Dogs running loose, chasing livestock, causing problems are simply shot in rural Colorado and Wyoming. Many years ago, shot dog in barn attacking goat, days later posters appeared, 'child's pet missing'.
    Dogs, neighbor's billy goat in the horses' hay bin/feed trough, mountain lion in the horse pens, use enough gun to put them down where they stand. SHOOT SHOVEL SHUT UP. No Facebook, no pictures, no conversations. 32-20 might be a little light on 80-90 pound dogs.

Boolit Master
    Many, many years ago a pack of feral dogs was running down deer and killing them near my home in S. Calif. Those dogs eventually attacked a child and the police couldn't find them. Even though they were in the city limits, I went out with my .222, got three out of the four, removed the collars and let the coyotes take care of the remains. Feral dogs are not domestic dogs any more. They can turn into monsters with no fear of humans when they run in packs of three or more. I love dogs but feral dogs are no longer dogs.

Banned
    Packs present a whole nuther level of problems. Back in 1966 there were a couple of big packs of dogs about 5 miles out of town. One family had many farms out there. Nobody could get the dogs but then ....Snowmobiles! Before they regulated them, these guys would ride one guy on the back with buckshot. They cleaned out several packs that year. Then they started hunting coyotes that way. It lasted until the govt said "no more shooting off moving snow mobiles".

Boolit Buddy
    Use enough gun. I have seen a starved, diseased, mangy dog attack after being shot between the eyes with a 22 LR hollow point. The 44 mag was enough gun. I know the 22 was right between the eyes, I checked the skull a few months later.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Feral Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    Look at the bright side. I hear they taste like chicken ! Seriously though, .......
    I won’t hesitate to light them up if they step onto the property. If it happens, I just might rotisserie one in effigy on the fire pit to send a message to the other dogs, as well as their irresponsible owner.
    Actually they taste like a cross between turkey and chicken. Dark meat; very tasty. Looks like big rabbit. Enjoyed many while stationed in Okinawa. Would always ask him for a breast, thigh, wing. Always same answer, “No ——, only leg!”
    Monkey and rat are very tasty as well. Marines eat anything!
    In ‘82 mom worked 3rd shift. Woke me saying a dog wouldn’t let her go out to the car. I went out with my Nylon 66 (.22 semi) & loaded 1 round. It tried to eat me so I stuck muzzle in mouth. Click! Bad sound! I did a really good dance trying to single load & not get bit. Stepdad only wined I put holes in siding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 11-20-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've always used a .243 or .257 / 25-06 on Coyotes, to be humane. Same would do well for feral dogs.

Well we have to something fast because they are getting out of hand, so I will be using either my .357 or my Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62X59. Talked to the local game warden and he was telling me that our neighbor has lost another calf.

No time for funny business here this is a serious.

ACC

Boolit Master
    That 7.62x39 will accomplish the task. Been there done that, use hollow points if using factory.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Where I roam the hills, a .357 carbine serves for whatever I might see out there. An SKS or .223 would do as well. Feral dogs used to be a real problem around the area. My brother was once harassed by a group of them, dissuading them with shots from a .22 rifle without actually shooting any of them.

Years ago, a fellow named George rented pasture on the farm next door to where I lived. One day, the family renting the house on the place called him and said a bunch of dogs were chasing his horse and foal around, trying to get at the foal. Apparently, the mare was able to fight them off sufficiently until he got there, and with a rifle, he began to lay waste. At the second or third BOOM, they were milling around on the opposite hill where he laid out anther half dozen or so, and two or three were seen to make it over the hilltop. When the carcasses were examined, half or better had collars and tags and only a few were actually feral, but there was no doubt they were on a killing spree. It cost him a good bit in vet fees to have the mare and foal patched up. Both recovered, but the foal was scarred up to where he didn't expect any return on his investment. A year or so later, the three registered Huskies owned by the fellow renting the house got out and were gone for two days before they came back. One had an injury and the vet said he'd been shot through the leg with a .22, just a flesh wound. Being a friendly fellow with a sense of accountability, he went around knocking on doors and asking if they had gotten into someone's chickens, and if so, he'd like to make it right and pay for damages. To my knowledge, no one owned up to shooting his dog, but he was asked if he remembered when George's mare and foal were attacked by those other dogs and what he did about it? Sure do, said he. It was suggested that he might want to keep his dogs securely penned up and leave the whole chickens/shot dog question alone, lest he find out that the "chickens" they may have gotten into were worth many thousands of dollars like George's mare and foal. He obviously wanted to make amends, but he saw the wisdom in discretion, so he let it go.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 11-21-2019 at 01:23 PM.

A 100g XTP at 2000 fps from that 32/20 will more than take care of those wild dogs.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes agree very much on the above post. Anyone who is of the opinion that the 32-20 is lacking in take down effect on animals this size has little experience with this caliber when it is loaded to any reasonable potential.

I walk the property with an sks paratrooper stoked with my homemade 162 grain soft points, for just such an occasion. Accurate to 100 meters and deadly.

Thanks folks. Most people don't believe that this is a problem, but then they ain't loosing money when a calf is killed. Like I told my wife. I feel sorry for having to shot these dogs and I would really like to get hold of the jerks who dump them out there.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Thanks folks. Most people don't believe that this is a problem, but then they ain't loosing money when a calf is killed. Like I told my wife. I feel sorry for having to shot these dogs and I would really like to get hold of the jerks who dump them out there.

ACC
    Wild dogs put my dad out of the sheep business, another pack chewed up my mom's pomerianian, twice.
    Neighbor was basically mugged by some one day feeding her dogs. Those four went down fast and hard when we found them.
    My dad hit one five times with 150 grand Winchester Silvertips back in the 60's and watched it run off. Never did kill one of that pack DRT.
    If it has claws or teeth and can hurt me or my family, overkill is not a thing.I
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master
    Back in the early 70's I was bird hunting in a State game area in Southern Michigan....we had lunch in a small diner and were at a table adjacent to two CO's. They asked us if we had any luck and if we had seen any dogs running loose. They advised if we saw a dog, collared or not and the owner was not in sight to shoot it. It seemed a bit harsh, and likely to cause a big problem if we shot someone's beagle just before the owner crested the hill.

It seems they were having a feral dog problem and they were running in packs. I never saw any in the areas I hunted.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My favorite Coyote load is a 70 grain ballistic tip driven at 3650 FPS out of my 26” heavy barreled 243. It’s the hammer of Thor and DRTs them. Dogs wouldn’t know what hit them with this combo. I have blown holes through coyotes that I could Clap it.

Boolit Buddy
    I raised registered shorthorns . I have one neighbor across the road who won't even speak to me or wave. Because I shot his dog 3 years ago And it made it 1/2 mile home and died on porch used a 20 gauge with buck shot and only got 2-3 pellets in him. Now I keep a 22-250 in the truck. They don't make it far anymore

Boolit Master

I used to be care taker for 675 acres. Myself & two others round the clock (plus other duties) Land owner was tree hugger didn't want to know how just wanted coyotes removed. For most of one season I chased a blk hybred dog. Every single time I was close enough it was unsafe. The bugger was brazen too. I was in parking lot chasing him on Gator. Plenty opportunities to shoot but for safety I couldnt. It was as if he knew. Looked just like jet blk Sheppard. Handsome animal. Another time I was collecting readings at our water tower. I was 100 yards from truck. He had me cornered between me and truck. I had pen & clip board. He didnt advance but gave no ground some 15-20 feet. I had my clip board as shield and 3” Buck 112 in hand. Again he walked off as if stalemate.
    Strange.

But a 22 Mag was my prefered there as it was powerful enough and not overly loud. That Henry lever in 22 mag earned my respect. Mostly using 50g Federals & 40 g cci hps later the bal tips came out. The Hornady CD was junk but the 30 g came apart pretty good inside them. Neck & head with Federals anchored them good. But a good many would run off. Very very few went unrecovered. One of those WHERE more important than WHAT scenarios.

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123