RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feral Dogs

Boolit Buddy
    Use enough gun for a DRT result, then SSS. Works well.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master

Seems to be a drama queen post to me.

Kill them with any ammo you have.

Sorry but way I see it.

Mods please delete this if I am out of line.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I was using the old abandoned dirt road between our place and a cousins for working out because it had a pretty steep hill on it. Got to the top and toward the back and heard barking. Looked around and found two dogs attacking a newborn calf on the cousins side.I chased them off, but figured they'd be back. Hustled back down to the truck, drove up the road and jumped out with the old 25-20 Marlin. In those days I was using the 257420gc at a little over 2000 fps. Two quick shots to the shepard that was doing most of the damage and it was down. The other had taken off, but I saw it running through the heavy brush about 75 yards away. Got in a shot between the bushes and heard it yelping, but never found it. Cousin called the sheriff but we never found out who the owners were. He said it wasn't the first calf that had been attacked, they were thinking coyotes.The calf lived but there was a fairly steep vet bill.

Boolit Grand Master

One big problem with the feral dogs and cross breed coy dog is they aren't afraid of buildings or people. Thus makes them more dangerous than the truly wild counterparts. A pack can really devastate livestock and game animals. In most states farmers ranchers and homeowners can protect livestock from predators, dogs cats wolves coyote or others. Best is as mentioned SSS. We had chickens and had something killing them. Caught a feral tom cat in a live trap that weighed close to 20lbs and was anything but cute and cuddly.
    Do what needs to be done and don't advertise it. Use enough gun. Remember no ones pet is killing stock to here them tell it so don't give them the chance by advertising. Everyone's pets are cute cuddly sweet things that wouldn't hurt any creature

Boolit Master
    A local rancher had a neighbor complaining about the shooting of their “pet”.

To which the rancher immediately questioned “Right there on your porch?”

Response ..... “Well uh ..... “

Again the rancher, “You mean right there on your porch?”!!

response, “uh .... uh ...”

An animal of any kind chasing anything will have it’s adenralin up. You use what you have to try to save your stock but if you are reaching for something and you have a choice you are better off reaching for the best tool at your disposal.

Years ago another rancher shot what turned out to be someone’s pet chasing his cattle. He did not choose wisely and paid for a large vet bill even though he was in the right legally to protect his livestock.

Same pet, back again, he used a 270 Win. No vet bill!

He used enough gun

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I would advise anybody here that shoots a dog... Whether it's obviously a pet or not... To dispose of it "away"... And always follow local regulations for disposing of such things as much as you can...

The issue there is somebody's dog running home and the owner getting mad at you... Yes - theoretically the law *might* he on your side - but the fellow sure won't.... And if he comes hunting his dog and finds it dead - he will be mad at you vs if his dog is found on the roadside a mile away "Hit by a car"....

I would also never shoot to wound for the same reason... Always shoot like you mean it - for the kill....

Boolit Master

Im up in Northern Kingdom of VT for deer season

Yesterday, I saw two Ferals (no collars) they had a small deer kill. One was a Great Perineese looking white dog and a Sheppard Pit mix. The White was all bloodied on hid snout from eating inside the chest cavity. I crested a rise overlooking a field and as I scanned I spotted movement. The dogs never saw me @ 350 Ish yards. Im hunting private unposted property. So I wasnt shooting the land owners dogs if they wasnt feral.

We had coyotes everywhere. I glimpsed one no shot but they where lighting up all around us. There was some howling that was very wolf like. I say its dogs just answering the coyotes.

Last night I called them to the other side of a 5-600 yard wide field from maybe 1/4 mile away. But couldnt get them to cross. I was watching tree line with a 20x and never saw them. But they where right there cause I heard them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Getting the skinny on that and acting accordingly would probably help that land owner as well. When they can drag down deer there is not much safe from them.

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    We had a pack of wild dogs here that people dumped in old strip mines, i tolerant them until they started to bark and try to attack my at the time 3 year old twin boys playing in the yard. They ended up being “put down” the next day

I don’t tolerate mean animals, especially if they are trying to harm my family, I keep a underfolder Polish AK47 as a farm rifle and I have had to use it more times than I care to imagine

Look at the bright side. I hear they taste like chicken ! Seriously though, I owned 75 acres in Coleman county TX. We had a community dog the whole town was familiar with. Thankfully, he didn’t chase livestock , but he would run down deer. I saw him eating one on my property once. Apparently, the deer had been shot and wounded, so no harm done.
    Hear in Idaho, my nearest neighbor always wears a sub 2000 in 9 mm. When I asked him why, he answered “ protection from dogs”. He’s had a few run ins with a neighbor’s dogs to the point where his wife had to use her shot gun on one. In fact , he told me that when he was moving in, the neighbor remarked “ you’d better not get chickens” . The idea of being told what not to do on your own land, really sticks in my craw. Needless to say, I won’t put up with that nonsense. I haven’t seen the offending pooches yet, but I do hear them around. I won’t hesitate to light them up if they step onto the property. If it happens, I just might rotisserie one in effigy on the fire pit to send a message to the other dogs, as well as their irresponsible owner.

Boolit Master
    Free range chickens is a problem all unto it self ..... coyotes, Fox, hawks weasels and racoon, but the owner of a dog that thinks his chicken chasing dog has a right of way and that warns a new neighbor not to get chickens?

That’s fresh .....

..... and stoopid!

I do not know laws in ID but a dog is not breaking the law until it chases stock or game (on it’s own) or threatens someone in my State. There are most forms of traditional dog hunting use banned here (sadly) as well.

Just stepping onto your property in my State is not illegal. The exception is where a stock owner reports a stock chase to the dog owner and the dog re-enters to further harm them.

My experience with dog owners that let their dogs run repeatedly is that informing them is a waste of time. They know what is going on but they do not care. Even if you do not kill the offending dog after notification and someone else puts an end to it, you will wear the brunt of their anger because you spoke out and be blamed for them losing their dog.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-18-2019 at 12:17 PM.

That government code section I mentioned in a earlier post is a federal law that applies in every state under the department of agriculture. Since I patrolled a rural area, I used to have copies of the law to pass out to citizens having problems with dogs chasing their livestock.
    On one such call, the citizen was having problems with several large dogs chasing his sheep. I gave him a copy of the law that allowed him to shoot the dogs and not face any criminal or civil charges. He told me that he had the perfect rifle in his hall closet to take care of the dogs if they came back. He pulled the rifle out to show me. It was a national match M-1 Garand. He was retired Navy and had been a member on their shooting team and brought his rifle home when he retired.
    I tried several times to buy that rifle from him, but he would not sell it as his son wanted the rifle and he was going to pass it down in the family.

Boolit Master
    My Garland is just a regular one but my wife is so good with it I fear her. Now anything hurting her horse faces an 870 12 ga up close and that Garrand beyond that.

Three44s

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You may want a chambering that will reach out further. The dogs get wise pretty fast.
    We had a real problem with feral dogs some years ago. A housing complex was built down by the lake. People moving to the country for the first time figured they could let their dogs run free. One neighbor shot 28 one year because of the dogs chasing deer and his livestock. His mules also killed a few. You might think of getting a mule or two, they are death on dogs. So are llamas, for that matter, they just aren't as efficient as a mule.
    When I lived on the rez, I did coyote control for some ranchers, and also did some feral dogs. There was one I would see at long range, but could never get a shot at it. I was talking to one of the ranchers out on the mountain one day, and we saw the dog cross back across the valley, and lay down on a porch. He drove down, and shot it right there. Never heard a word from the Indians that lived there about it.
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-18-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Here is a copy of the Food and Agricultural code that allows the shooting of dogs that are harassing livestock on your property.

FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL CODE - FAC
    DIVISION 14. REGULATION AND LICENSING OF DOGS [30501 - 31683] ( Division 14 enacted by Stats. 1967, Ch. 15. )
    CHAPTER 5. Killing and Seizure [31101 - 31153] ( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1967, Ch. 15. )

ARTICLE 1. Generally [31101 - 31109] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1967, Ch. 15. )

Except in an area in which the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 31151) of this chapter apply or as otherwise provided in Section 31104, any person may kill any dog in any of the following cases:

(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or persistently pursuing or worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.

(b) The person has such proof as conclusively shows that the dog has been recently engaged in killing or wounding livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the dog’s owner.

No action, civil or criminal, shall be maintained for the killing of any such dog.

(Enacted by Stats. 1967, Ch. 15.)

I really don't want to shoot a dog, because it one day was someones pet, but my wife gets really testy if we lose a calf. Money out of our pocket.

I go out there about 3 times a week, and I went out there today. Shot one at about 75 yards with my 7.62X39 Ruger rifle. Dropped in it's tracks.

Thanks for the info folks. And thank you for not dropping me from the list.

ACC

Boolit Master
    ACC,

A belated welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Three44s

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    There’s nothing worse that burns my butt than a dumb owner! I had the neighbors dogs corner me and try to bite me while I was turkey hunting on my property and I still didn’t shoot them but let off a warning shot off at a 45° angle. One walked away and the other one kept standing at the ground trying to bite me till It heard my neighbor(it’s master) yell from a half a mile away for him. The dog the. slowly turned around and walked away. I had a conversation with the neighbor minutes later and told him those dogs will never be on my property again. He said he lets them run loose to harass the trout fisherman on his land. They’ve been on my property many times after. I have caught them on my trail cameras chasing deer and turkey and one came running by me with a deer leg in its mouth last while I was small game hunting. I called the cops on him twice and they keep letting him off with a warning. He told the cops that one the dogs is 12 years old and doesn’t listen so the cop let them off with a warning for the second time! He Even told the cop that he calls his dogs back to the house when he sees my truck coming down the road to make sure they’re off my property! If It was me on his property I would’ve gotten a tresspassing fine. I had a pair of new dogs walked by me last Sunday while I was deer hunting that I’ve never seen before either. Both had collars on. I took a nice picture with my cell phone out of my tree stand so that way if I figure out who’s they are I can chew their owners butt. I sure hope they don’t get in my coon and coyote traps this year

I’m ready to buy a cow and say it got chased... and I’m not kidding.

Well after reading this I guess I should’ve shot the two that were lunging at me and trying to bite me nonstop for several minutes until the owner called them back while I was on my property turkey hunting. It would’ve been legal and completely justified Because they were trying to do bodily harm according to Wisconsin state law...

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tutes/174/01/1

Even in one of my post last year I posted a picture of one of these dogs chewing on a deer carcass on my property. One I sent to the cops they did nothing again. From what I understand they have a brother-in-law in the force which is probably him.

I remember years ago my buddies out in AZ got asked by a farmer to dispatch some dogs. When they got out there there were 2 to 3 bite marks out of their cows that look like a shark bite them. The dogs killed a calf as well. They were 3 Rottweilers with no collars. “Were”!
    I used to fish trout in Wisconsin. Once you are in the creek, as long as you stay in the creek you are not trespassing. I used to get in at one bridge and fish to the next. Sometimes a few miles. Then walk the road back to the car. Worst thing was getting harassed by dogs. The only time I ever considered CC was at that time.
    I had one guy sick his very large dog on me while in the creek. The guy stood above me on the high bank with his hands on his hips as his dog growled and salivated for me on the bank. I moved out into chest deep water and called the dog in. He wouldn't come. I swear I would have drowned that dog right in front of his owner. Told my dad the story when I got home and he warned me that the guy would have probably killed me if I would have done that. I love good dogs. But would not hesitate to kill anything that attacked me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Had a dog walk up and growl at me as I was sitting on my front step once. I was under 18 and thus not carrying, did talk that dog out of doing me any harm (Being completely unafraid helps a lot.) Never again though...

I had to dispatch two dogs last week which managed to break into my "Ft Knox" chicken pen killing all my chickens...Once a chicken killer, always a chicken killer.
    7.62x25
    Although without collars/tags, my wife was concerned that some of my rural neighbors may come by asking if we had seen their dogs. I'm and honest man...I'd tell them I killed them.
    If there is any problem, I will offer to let them kill MY chickens if MY chickens ever got out and killed THEIR dogs in THEIR front yard.
    East Texas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast