Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE Wilson Case Trimmer

Boolit Bub

LE Wilson Case Trimmer

So I'm currently using a Redding 1400 trimmer and I'm not real fond of the collet system so I have been looking around at different manual trimmers. The Wilson looks very interesting to me and was wondering what you guys that use them think about them? I bought a couple Wilson chamfer tools lately on ebay that came with the wilson small and large primer pocket reamers. I guess I'm impressed with the machining/quality of this company.

LE Wilson makes quality reloading tools. I have the case trimmer and the chamfer crank tool. The case trimmer is nice. It’s basically a hand operated lathe.

What I like about Wilson tools is that they are relatively simple, handtools rather than mechanized, that are extremely high-quality. I’m not in a hurry, and like to take my time reloading. Wilson tools are very affordable when measured over the life of the tool.

deleted double post

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one.
    Never used it.
    They are built nice.
    If you don't reload many calibers, I guess it would be OK.
    Would get expensive if you have to buy a shell holder for every caliber.
    And they're not all that cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and it's a quality tool that is very easy to use and very consistent.

The only downside is that you need to buy a separate case holder for almost each caliber you load for. This can add up if you do a lot of different calibers.
    Popping the case into and out of the case hold is a snap for rifle calibers.
    The case holder for some straight walled pistol calibers is a 2 piece arrangement that takes an extra step but works well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and like it. simple to use, easy to adjust over all length, wont wear out under normal use. Shell holders are expensive
    I have some Lee trimmers that once fine tuned to the OAL that you want are simple to use.

Boolit Master

I have used the Wilson trimmer since I started reloading in the early 60s.
    It is probably the most precision trimmer on the market.
    I have a Forester as well if I am in a hurry to trim pistol cases.
    It is somewhat slow but very precise.
    I really like mine...dale

Boolit Master

Sorry.
    Double post.

Moderator Emeritus

I have, and have used Lyman, RCBS, and Redding trimmers -- *ALL* with same disdain as you have experienced with toooo much variability in trimmed length from case to case using each's collet system.
    Then... I discovered the L. E. Wilson and have never even thought of looking back!!! I complement their system with a small piece of oak hardwood flooring to tap case from holder, and it is remarkably fast to trim even a several-hundred case lot in a short amount of time -- with ALL coming out pretty much the identicle length -- what it should be! I bought mine many years back from Sinclair, and one does not really need to remortgage the house to purchase a case holder for, say, a "new" caliber. The only non-love I have is for a few pistol cases, using their "Q" holders which adds a step -- a horizontal wedge to hold in case. BUT, it is so rare, and a one-time-at-most operation vis these cases -- it, too, remains a "plus" for this tool. From the photos of my set-up, one showing it in the "cubicle" in my loading station for it, and a 2nd, overhead shot, you can see I added their micrometer adjuster, and, to turn it, I use a (not-pictured) Milwaukee battery driver.
    geo

Attachment 251370Attachment 251371

Boolit Master
    I have 4 of the LE Wilson Case Trimmer's and leave them adjusted for the cases that I use most. I am more concerned with accuracy than speed.

Boolit Master
    I have 4 Wilson trimmers that I came by when purchasing batch of stuff from guys that were getting out or reloading. I also got a good supply of case holders for common rounds.
    The Wilson tool is well built and delivers good results when it is locked down so you have both hands free to operate it. It requires you to use your left hand to hold the case holder against the lathe bed and against the stop while turning the crank with your right hand.

I also have 5 Forster case trimmers. These case trimmers have a push collet system that is superior in performance to the pull collet trimmers. The push collet stops against the interior of the collet housing so case head diameter variations do not affect the length of the cases when trimmed. Due to the stepped collets versatility, once you get a full set of collets you can trim practically any case except the very large rimmed BPCR rounds with rims larger than the .45-70. Forster does make a larger Classic trimmer for those that need to trim the very large cases up to .50 cal.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have, and have used Lyman, RCBS, and Redding trimmers -- *ALL* with same disdain as you have experienced with toooo much variability in trimmed length from case to case using each's collet system.
    Then... I discovered the L. E. Wilson and have never even thought of looking back!!! I complement their system with a small piece of oak hardwood flooring to tap case from holder, and it is remarkably fast to trim even a several-hundred case lot in a short amount of time -- with ALL coming out pretty much the identicle length -- what it should be! I bought mine many years back from Sinclair, and one does not really need to remortgage the house to purchase a case holder for, say, a "new" caliber. The only non-love I have is for a few pistol cases, using their "Q" holders which adds a step -- a horizontal wedge to hold in case. BUT, it is so rare, and a one-time-at-most operation vis these cases -- it, too, remains a "plus" for this tool. From the photos of my set-up, one showing it in the "cubicle" in my loading station for it, and a 2nd, overhead shot, you can see I added their micrometer adjuster, and, to turn it, I use a (not-pictured) Milwaukee battery driver.
    geo

Pretty much what he said ^^^^ with a few exceptions. I have both the Forester and a Wilson. Pros and cons as described by the comments posted but both are very useful. I like the collets unless the case mouth is 'damaged' or is 'rough' (think trimmed by a saw). The holder cost does mount up but used ones can be found at gunshops, gun shows etc.. And they often work for multiple calibers. I mount the trimmers to a wood base for 'pounding' into or from the holder, a battery operated power source for the cutter head etc. works for volume trimming, use a 'set up' case for adjusting to the length of the case. A stand and the case holder arm are recommended but not required. I accumulated my 'accessories' over time (years) as I felt the need or desire for them. The trimmer I prefer is 'work' to be done.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Bub
    Guys, much thanks for your insight. I think I'm going to retire the redding.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    geo

So how is the trimmer mounted; are there threaded holes or something in the bottom of the trimmer. I've seen them mounted on vises and onto Wilson's own bracket but is it possible to just mount to a wood or aluminum riser I make myself if I wanted? Also, your micrometer looks different from the newer ones I've seen online. I like the one your using better than the stainless shorter model I've seen on their website; is it made my Wilson or someone else?

Boolit Master
    I have used the Forster, Lee hand held, and L E Wilson trimmers. I haven't used the Forster since I got the Wilson. I found that the Forster could 'drift' while in use, along with length variation of .002 to .003. The Lee hand trimmer is very accurate, but is limited to a single length without 'simple' adjustment. The LE Wilson is very simple, very accurate, easy to adjust and maybe faster than the collet type trimmers. I find case length variation is less than .001. I also use the Wilson case holders in a mini chop saw when shortening cases like 300 Savage from 308. The Wilson case holder provides a square holder with a simple stop set on the mini chop saw. Wilson provides a wide variety of case holders, most have multi uses - 243, 260, Rem, 7mm-08, 308, 338 Federal, 358 Win use a common case holder, same for 25-06 through 35 Whelan. Case holders do come in 'fired' or new/full-length sized dimensions. Accuracy and ease of adjustment are the two reasons I use the Wilson. It can be powered with an electric drill set-up.m

Boolit Master
    I share the pro Wilson comments!

My go to trimmer is the Lyman Universal. I use it with the carbide cutter. Longer life and faster cutting.

This trimmer has been relegated to cases of more extreme over length.

I acquired a used Wilson trimmer and as estate sales were encountered more Wilson trimmers and case holders began trickling into my universe. As my collection grew so did my fondness for the Wilson system.

It gained a fever pitch last summer when I began building my own mounting bases to fit what are now three trimmers. In watching videos about the Wilson I saw that the new factory bases have a round disc of plastic in their base for the user to tap cases into and out of the holder.

My wife discards her plastic cutting boards in the interest of food safety as they get “chewed up” in their course of normal use. I save them for repurposing. After seeing the videos I decided to use these boards as part of the base system for the Wilson trimmer bases I was about to build. Instead of a smallish disc to tap in and out cases upon, I have a significant plastic base (cutting board) to tap on. Free and can’t miss!

Now as to the case holders: If you load a lot of different cartridges you may well need a bunch of holders from the manufacturer. Some cartridges call for one holder for new or full length sized cases and another for fired or neck sized ones. Then you might need two holders per that cartridge if it is particularily straight sided.

However, there are families of casings that where a case holder fits several different cartridges and where the condition of the case, fired vs. new etc. makes no difference.

The best way to make an educated decision is to go directly to L.E. Wilson’s web site and compare their cartridge case hold listing against your list of cartridges.

There are many ways to trim brass. The Lee original is a good one for accuracy as far as it goes but it is limited in that cases shorter than the stock length it trims to are not uniformed. I own a Forester (I use it for outside neck turning), an RCBS, an old Hornady (dull cutter), Lee originals and the Lyman Universal. When you factor in adjustability, the Wilson has no peer as to repeatable accuracy.

Adding my home made base brought up speed and comfort to the Wilson trimmer as well.

The factory base would be just as good .... I made mine because I have a tooled up farm shop to work in and I am cheap!

Go L.E. Wilson!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRiverBoy View Post
    So how is the trimmer mounted; are there threaded holes or something in the bottom of the trimmer. I've seen them mounted on vises and onto Wilson's own bracket but is it possible to just mount to a wood or aluminum riser I make myself if I wanted? Also, your micrometer looks different from the newer ones I've seen online. I like the one your using better than the stainless shorter model I've seen on their website; is it made my Wilson or someone else?
    From Sinclair, International -- years before Brownell's acquired it -- they purveyed it as a simple/bare tool, and also offered several options. These included the base -- to which the trimmer is screwed; the hex adapter to use an electric screwdriver or similar; several handles with cutters to deburr cases; the springy case holder; and even a carbide trimmer blade. Whether "OCD" or sometimes (sometimes???) having more money than brains, I think I purchased one of each offered. The vertical piece of 1/2" Plexglas which stores the handle was my own addition. The Wilson trimmer I purchased does in fact have threaded holes in the bottom for mounting to the commercially made/sold base, as I have. A buddy has his mounted to a piece of 5/4 pine, with a small hole in it to hang on a nail in the wall for storage; he clamps the 5/4 in his machine vice to hold the unit while in use. Again, with no reservation... I do in fact love mine!
    geo

Boolit Master
    The base that the basic unit comes with is not threaded on my three units. Rather the screws run up in to the guides that hold the screw adjustment for trim length on one end and the guide for the cutter assembly on the other.

As my trimmers are built, the factory stand or my home made ones require longer screws up through the added stand threading into those end pieces and sandwiching the original base and the guide/centering rods between the top most and added components.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    To everyone again, much thanks! I'm going to buy one. I may see what the bay is offering and keep my eyes open on the forums.

Boolit Master

Wilson all the way here! Been using them since I started loading in the late '50's. Quick, accurate & convenient. Just mount it in a small leather padded vise. Drop the cartridge in the shellholder, give it a light tap on a wooden block, trim, another tap to free the case, & on to the next one. True, you need shell holders for dis-similar calibers, but a .308 shellholder is good for the whole .308 family of cartridges.

The collet type of shellholders of other makes introduce variables due to the taper in the collet system. If the case base varies in diameter, the collet pulls in a little more or less. The more you tighten it, the further you draw in the case. Also, you have to make sure the case is bottomed out in the collet. It's a slow and aggravating process to me. I gave up on all the others long ago.

By the way, L.E. Wilson was quite the shooter in his day, and I remember reading articles about him in the Rifleman of days gone by. I believe he was still shooting into his nineties. He brought out simple, well made tools, that withstood the test of time. Solid Quality!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast