MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Storage of Lee 6 cavity molds

Boolit Master

Storage of Lee 6 cavity molds

I have 6-8 Lee 6 cavity molds. I am looking for ideas on how to store them. I would like to keep the mold halves together. I dislike rubber bands and wrapping them in clothes. What type of container and mtrhod do you use to store your larger molde? Do ypu store them with or without handles?

I take the handles off, clean the halves so they look good, put them back in the box and set the box on the shelf with its friends.

Denny

Boolit Buddy
    I have a large (.50 cal.) U.S. Army ammo can...it is a lot bigger than the common surplus .30 cal. cans. Such surplus metal cans have a rubber gasket. I put some desiccant packs in the bottom and place all my molds inside the can, including Lee Aluminum molds and all my iron molds. The ammo can sits in an unheated garage (where I cast), year-around (Michigan Winters), and have been out there for about twenty years with no rust on the iron molds or the steel parts of the Lee Aluminum molds. None of the iron molds or steel parts of the Aluminum molds are treated with oil or any other substance to keep them from rusting. When I am going to cast, I just take out the molds I am going to use, and put them on a hot plate to preheat. Nothing could be simpler.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...used?a=1586610
    https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Moi.../dp/B001O62T4O
    Last edited by dahermit; 11-17-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    I take the handles off, clean the halves so they look good, put them back in the box and set the box on the shelf with its friends.

Denny
    That's what I do because the old group buy molds weren't marked. Or at least mine aren't.

Boolit Buddy
    Just go get a plastic storage box with snap on lid at Walmart or like store. I have one that will probably hold a dozen 6 cavity molds with handles. If you have some older Lee molds that aren't stamped with the bullet size you can engrave the info on the side of the mold block with a cheap engraver.

Banned
    Military Surplus Ammo Can 50 Caliber https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918169793

I just let them cool, put them back in the box and back on the shelf.

Boolit Master

I just put them in my dedicated toolbox drawers lined with cork. The lining will absorb moisture, kinda like a machinist's toolbox. But then I have about 35 of them, counting duplicates.

Moderator Emeritus

I live where things rust if left outside on the ground for a week or more. If I wanted to put a 6 cavity mold in long term storage I would put the two halves together, wrap it with newspaper then electrical tape. The tape doesn't stick to the mold and the halves don't come apart.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

In one of the wood drawers, each drawer with camphor blocks in 2 corners. Most with handles on, if I have enough to go around. No wrappers or anything that would retain moisture.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Some go back in the boxes with handles on (have a set for each mold), some without boxes in a drawer in my reloading room desk (LEE and NOE), and a few on the shelf in a cabinet in my reloading room (climate controlled). Usually wipe the steel sprue plates down with a light coat of oil as have had a few spots of rust on top of the sprue plates over the years. Haven't had any serious issues in the 40 plus years I have used this method. If you want to keep the blocks together suggest plastic cable ties, won't attract moisture and are inexpensive.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a strip of 1/2" Velcro , cut from a 75' roll of Velcro One-Wrap Garden Ties , in place of a rubber band to secure the handles...Velcro last a long time , and put the mould back in it's factory box .
    Place on shelf till needed .
    Strip of Velcro is great for securing fishing rods and all sorts of stuff . Easy to fasten , remove and lasts for years . Neat fastening material .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I can recommend Anox paper, if it gets tattered chuck it & use more. Machine shops use it for million dollar product that can't be coated, in the white.

Boolit Master
    While they're not as common as the 30's or 50's, and cost more, a 40 mm ammo can may suit your needs. At about 17 1/4" by 9 1/2" by 5 1/2" inside, there's plenty of room for gang molds with handles still attached.

I use cut sections of bicycle inner tube to keep my 8 cav MP mold halves together and wrap each in a small microfiber towel. Less frequently used molds are banded and wrapped without handles. Some stay in the boxes Miha shipped them in. Molds without attached handles would fit into a 30 or 50 cal can, but the 40 mm lets me keep the handles on the ones I use frequently.

Despite the gasket and the fact that I don't have any iron molds I use dessicant packs and VCI chips the reduce rusting of the hardware.