MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st suppressor barrel threading

1st suppressor barrel threading

I finally got my tax stamp for my suppressor, picked it up about three weeks ago. ordered adapters for 1/2x28, 1/2x36 and 5/8x24 so i could use it on my 9mm rifle, 22, 223, and 308. but then I wanted to be able to use it on some of my older rifles and would need to get the barrels threaded. checked and it would cost about $125.00 for each. checked out youtube found a place called CNC warrior who sales annular cutters,(that can be used in a hand drill) to cut down the O.D. of the barrel for 1/2x28, 1/2x36 and others for threading plus many other tools. the cost was $102.00 for my order as I already had a 1/2x28 Die. so i received my 1/2x28 thread protector yesterday and decided to use it on the oldest .22 rifle I had, a Marlin model 25 .22 I got as a Christmas present when I was 12, it has always shot very well for an inexpensive rifle. so I cut the barrel O.D. down and threaded it last night and wanted to see if it effected the accuracy. seem's to shoot just fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115191521a.jpg 
Views:	1229 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	251322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115191521a.jpg 
Views:	1229 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	251322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115191539.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	251323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115191712.jpg 
Views:	1225 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	251324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115191712a.jpg 
Views:	1211 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	251325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115191720.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	251326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1116191606a.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	251327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1116191606.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	251328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1116191621.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	251329

Boolit Master

Be careful with calibers that are closest to bire diameter of your suppressor. There is a REASON that rifle barrels are single point threaded on a lathe or CNC after the bore is dialed in to 0.0005" or so. Bores dont run true to the barrel contour and you cant guarantee squareness to bore or suppressor baffle clearance on a die thread. did you at least check for baffle clearance with a range rod before shooting. For a .22 through a 9mm suppressor, you have a lot if forgiveness with clearance. Also suppressor threads are cut to class three specs. a standard threading die is going to typically not be close to the spec and have a sloppy thread fit.

No way would I die thread a .30 caliber ti shoot through my .30 cal suppressor.

Congratulations on your success, though.

Thanks I appreciate the advice. what I know about machining would not fill a thimble, but I thought it would work on my .22's so i took a chance with my model 25. I may do the same with my Marlin papoose, but think I will talk to my local gunsmith about doing the AK. the suppressor is made by rebel silencers and is a DFNDER9. they claim it can be used for anything from 17 HMR to 338 Lapua.

Boolit Master
    Man you got lucky you didn’t have a baffle strike, there is sooo much that can go wrong with threading a barrel from an out of square shoulder , threads , improper pitch diameter. There’s a reason it cost $125 to single point a barrel. Lathes, spider chucks , threading tools, mics, thread wires all cost money
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Nice going. Back when I did my first muzzle threading on my first metal lathe I also posted my intentions, my progress and my success and I also got the obligatory warnings and cautions.

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Now you can plan on buying more suppressors cause they can become addictive once you get accustomed to not having to wear hearing protection.

HollowPoint

I appreciate all the advice I get from all you guy's. I have a lot of 2nd thoughts before doing this again, Just happy it worked out.

Thats a new one for me, I have never seen an cutter like that. I echo some of the concerns of others but, it worked for you.

Very cool! I want to tackle a suppressor build for on of my next projects.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Excellent job.

I have personally blown away 1 suppressor right off a ar 15. As it was misaligned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

that sucks, suppressors and transfer are not cheap, that's why I made sure after reducing the O.D. and threading the barrel I attached the suppressor and 1st looked through it, than ran a .22 rod down the bore to check the alignment with the suppressor, all looked good so I tried it out with no problems. The annular cutter has a bore guide that does not turn with the cutter so it doe's not wear or throw off the alignment.
    the suppressor is one of the better priced one's at $300.00, (plus it comes apart in segments for easy cleaning). Tax stamp $200.00 + $50.00 transfer Fee from the local dealer. not bad for the States. Most Countries that allow hunting and firearm ownership want you to use a suppressor to keep the noise down, after all it's like a muffler on a car!. Just remember the people who want to rule over us must 1st disarm us. it's what gun control is all about.
    Last edited by Jjed; 11-17-2019 at 06:11 PM.

I am very impressed that worked. Annual cutters just cut at the angle you hold the hand drill. I suppose if your threads are not too tight the shoulder will be what matters but that’s still impressive, it’s square enough with the bore.

The annular cutter has a guide rod in the center that is the bore size of what ever barrel that is being cut so it holds the the drill in alignment. I think you have to try hard to get it out of alignment.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm more impressed at the range of calibers they claim they can handle from from 17HMR to 338 Lapua ? also if it can't be disassembled for cleaning I wouldn't shoot much rimfire through it. My DeadAir 22 collects A LOT of gunk but it's easy to disassemble and clean all the baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjed View Post
    The annular cutter has a guide rod in the center that is the bore size of what ever barrel that is being cut so it holds the the drill in alignment. I think you have to try hard to get it out of alignment.
    What is it made of that is ridged enough to maintain alignment but soft enough to not distort the important part of the lands and grooves? Seems like the brunt of the work would be at the muzzle that’s the most important part of all.

The alignment tool does not spin with the cutter so it does nothing to the barrel.

Kayala So far I an happy with my rebel suppressor, it come apart easy and is easy to clean. I have shot .22LR, 300 BLK, 308 WIN. THE 300 BLK with subsonic round's is very quiet all you hear is the action, the boolit hitting the target and the brass hitting the ground. I also ordered adapters for 1/2x28, 1/2x36 and 5/8x24Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1030191923.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	251671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1030191925.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	251672

The alignment tool does not spin with the cutter so it does nothing to the barrel.
    Interesting, how does it lock into the bore and how does it locate and spin in the arbor?

What is the adapter you use so the die is square with the bore? I assume it uses the same non rotating alignment tool?

Very interesting, so the 9mm works well with .22

the cutter has a center bore for multiple rifle bore sizes and has two locking nuts to keep it in place but let's a tapered end rest on the end of the barrel and does not spin with the cutter. it all must be well oiled so no friction causes it to spin. as far as .22 in a 9mm suppressor it works good so far. remember I have only had this for about a month and may have a total of 100 rounds of different calibers through it. if you shoot supersonic .22lr you still get the sonic crack, but the sound seems to be far out in front of the rifle. plus i learned depending on elevation the speed of sound is different, I live around 1600 feet and with some factory 300 BLK advertised as subsonic, 4 out of 5 rounds went supersonic. plus there is something called the first round pop that from what i have read it's the air being pushed out of the suppressor with the first round, it's not very loud but you can hear it. even firing full power 308 win i have shot it without hearing protection, it's loud but i didn't get the ear ringing from the muzzle blast, that said when shooting supersonic i will be using hearing protection. but shooting some of Aguila subsonic .22 all i could hear was the click of the firing pin and the bullet hitting the target. But then again my hearing is not as good as it use to be. JMORRIS Check out CNC warrior web site, I'm sure they can explain the cutting tool much better than me.
    Last edited by Jjed; 11-24-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Banned
    I thought suppressors were gun specific and when making one you had to specify the caliber and the gun you were using it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast