Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: How long to wait between powder coating and loading?

How long to wait between powder coating and loading?

I usually size soon after coating. How long should I want until loading? Out of my fave 45 boolit.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I've done it all the same day, cast to loaded, and never had a problem. I PC as I'm casting and will size and load when the bullets are cool.

PC is a polymer so it's basically not going to react with much. In my opinion PC isn't too different from the plastic bottle the powder was delivered in so it's doubtful those two parts would react in any way. And once the bullets are cool enough to handle they don't stick to anything so I doubt they're going to stick to the case. From what I've read, PC cures in the oven. When it comes out of the oven it basically just cools down. Like most plastics, it's softer when it's still hot but it's fully cured. I'm thinking if it's cool enough to handle and run through a sizer, it's cool enough to load.

Boolit Master
    the only observation ive ever made that would actually matter to wait, is when your doing a type of alloy or heat treating where it will get harder in a few days. if you wait till its harder the base of the bullet will get "sized" less by the cases neck tension. ive pulled freshly loaded 44 mags and measured that that base tapered in a few thou from being soft and the neck tension high, if i waited until there harder it wouldn't happen as much so accuracy and leading would be less a problem.

that's a specific scenario for types of lead and gas checks obviously avoid that so otherwise go as fast as you want.

Yeah, these are 45 SWCs meant for standard pressure 45 ACP loads. Plain base and cast out of a mix of shielding and harder stuff to approximate COWWs plus a bit of tin. Everything I do is air cooled. That all sounds like I can load pretty much whenever I get the sizing done, right?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

yep--go for it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You know I’ve read posts here when I started casting a few years ago that it takes a good three weeks if not longer For an alloy to reach its final hardness. I casted and PCd all in the same day and tested the hardness every day for three weeks. After three days my alloy was basically about as hard as it was going to get. So if it really bothers you wait a few days versus shooting them on the same day as your alloy will be softer like the above posts mention and you’ll get different grouping results. My groups open up or shrink with changing alloys. Im sure shooting a softer uncured alloy versus the end result with a harder BH is going to change your group sizes. If you don’t care and just going to plink load them up and shoot away.

Banned
    Cast and load the same day not so good the lead hasn't had time to harden and reach its final size. This usually takes 2 or more weeks.

But PCing and loading the same day is not a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Ditto to above. I size mine as soon as i can touch em. Load em when there is time.

Boolit Grand Master
    depends on alloy
    pb/sn rite out of the gate
    something with antimony I may wait a couple of weeks
    then check the size and re-size if necessary
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I cast & PC the same day, more efficient for me to cast while waiting for PC to bake. By the time they're done, I quench them in cold water by then a new batch is ready for PC. I wait a day or 2 to size (& gc if required), then load them whenever. By the way, smokes powder is way better than others I've tried (HF, pbtp, prismatic, ebay), especially like the translucent copper.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Buddy
    I cast one day, PC and size another day, then let them age for about a week at least before loading. Of course you dont have to wait and you might be fine but I like to wait for my bullets to get full BHN before I load. Helps with not swaging your bullets down when loading and crimping etc. I always cast ahead so i dont have to rush anything but thats just me and everyone has different SOP.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    I size mine as soon as i can touch em. Load em when there is time.
    I haven't seen ANY difference on paper or game animals.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I now wait two weeks before sizing. I have noticed that my bullets certainly grow. So why size twice. As for powder coat, I usually will do this the day after casting.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I now wait two weeks before sizing. I have noticed that my bullets certainly grow. So why size twice. As for powder coat, I usually will do this the day after casting.
    I re-sized a batch of once-sized bullets yesterday. They were sized 3585 one month ago,then heat treated. They were 360 yesterday.

Alloy can be soft right after coating so depending on your expander and alloy, bullets may or may not swage down when loaded quickly after coating. But that's easy to check.