RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersADvertise here
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder lube question

Boolit Master
    60/40 beeswax (in pellets from craft store) and olive oil melted together in sauce pan and poured into tupperware for storage is like peanut butter in consistency and great for BP revolvers. 70/30 would be good for your needs, and keeps BP fouling soft and rifling clean.

Boolit Bub
    I made up some 30% beeswax 60% old *** crisco and 10% olive oil

In a State that is #1 with people migrating out.
    In my opinion using Animal fats like Crisco is not the thing I would put in my lube. It might be marked no salt, but it has a preservative in it to keep it from turning black. What is a preservative made of?
    If you want to use animal fat render it put into a tallow, not a lard. Nothing is added to tallow and it will keep with out spoiling or freezing it if it's made properly. Some smokeless shooters will just put the rifle away with out cleaning it and end up with rough bores. I know I will get the raspberries for saying I would not use Crisco.
    A very simple lube that works good is just a simple B-Wax and Peanut oil with maybe a little Hydrous Lanolin added. There is a difference between Anhydrous Lanolin and Hydrous Lanolin.

Boolit Bub
    Well sir....unless my eyes are deceiving of me...the label of Crisco ALL VEGETABLE SHORTENING, has no animal fats and there is a zero sodium listed on the daily intake guide

They might say it's salt free but I would be willing to bet that some sort of nitrates are used like potassium nitrate or even something that is high in nitrates like Celery juice or powder. Something is needed to dry the moisture to kill the microbes to keep it from spoiling.
    Fatty acids an animal fats will react to metal. Ever see green on your brass when it has been loaded for a spell with lubes that has animal fat in in it......?

Boolit Master
    One thing that always confused me. Crisco is vegetable oil processed into "shortening". Basically whipped vegie oil. Why would you add both Crisco and vegetable oil to the same lube?

I can't speak for cartridge bullet lubes, but for muzzleloaders, I have yet to have anything beat just straight Crisco. If there is salt in it, I can't taste it, and my muzzleloaders have been lubed with it for a month straight now with no ill effect. The stuff is magic, it's soft in 70 degrees, and it's soft in 0 degrees. Tuesday morning I'll be out hunting, I'll wake up to -14, and I'll bet it's still soft.

Sometimes it's best to just not over think things. Crisco itself is a perfect muzzleloader patch and bullet lube. Mixed 50-50 with beeswax makes a nice hard cartridge lube.

What? No one is using straight peanut butter?

Boolit Bub
    That is great....I thought about this as I made my sammich today

[QUOTE=

Sometimes it's best to just not over think things. Crisco itself is a perfect muzzleloader patch and bullet lube. Mixed 50-50 with beeswax makes a nice hard cartridge lube.[/QUOTE]

So is straight vaseline

Boolit Master

i use gato feo ("UGLY cat") as both a cartridge bullet lube and as a trad muzzy patch lube. works quite well, easy to make, cheap enuf.

by weight ...

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works - mutton tallow won't go rancid like some other tallows)
    1 part paraffin wax (gulf brand is what i use)
    1/2 part pure strained beeswax (local to ya or online)

i do 1lb each of the tallow & paraffin and 1/2lb of the beeswax. put the ingredients in a pot or large jar, put the pot/jar in a pot of water, light the stove.

when all melted, stir it a bit and then i pour it into 1/2 gallon milk or juice carton. when cool, it cuts up into chunks like cheese.
    Last edited by rfd; 12-12-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12