MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black powder lube question

Boolit Master

Why do you think the lube didn't do so good? Did you get hard deposits in the barrel? Did you lose accuracy after a few shots? Did it grease up your gun too much? If you don't have any goals for the lube how will you know if it works well or not? Seems to me, if the shooting went well, the lube worked. And it isn't all about having the right lube, sometimes it is about having enough.

Vendor Sponsor

There are basically two kinds of lube.
    You can guess the rest.
    Chill Wills

I didn't get much out the muzzle, three rounds chambered, fourth took a hammer or wipe, no didn't grease the gun up, in fact hardly atoll. Accuracy did not go away...at least not less than I've been used to... infact it did go well. Last yes hard deposits....first cleaning patch almost took a hammer to push thru. But... No lead, and I actually hit stuff...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by okietwolf View Post
    I didn't get much out the muzzle, three rounds chambered, fourth took a hammer or wipe, no didn't grease the gun up, in fact hardly atoll. Accuracy did not go away...at least not less than I've been used to... infact it did go well. Last yes hard deposits....first cleaning patch almost took a hammer to push thru. But... No lead, and I actually hit stuff...
    Try a simple blow tube. Three to five slow breaths between each shot.
    Amazing how much better.
    Chill Wills

That was a little difficult to use.......from the reloading bench to the range, hose wasn't quite that long.

Vendor Sponsor

That was a little difficult to use.......from the reloading bench to the range, hose wasn't quite that long.
    ??????????
    Joke?

Merry Christmas.
    Chill Wills

The range is 12 miles from the bench where it sat while I was shooting.....

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well

Boolit Grand Master

The blow tube will help a lot adding moisture to the fouling to keep it soft. As does wiping between shots.

Did you get a good lube star at the muzzle? you should see it forming after a few shots. With the Paper Patched bullets and grease cookies your lube may be fine just not enough. You might try a thicker cookie, with the same lube

Crisco will give more "leeway" softening its slower takes mire to get where you want. The olive oil is faster and takes less.

I actually like a softer lube in cold weather and harder in hot. In a 30-34" long barrel of 45 caliber it may need more lube

It took 5-6 rounds before much showed at the muzzle, the cookie was about a 1/4" roughly. We were at about 34-36° which is why I think it was too hard.

Boolit Master
    Ok...got to the range today and the shooting went well. The lube however, I don't think so good. I feel it was proboobly too hard for the 30ish degrees it was today. Now, do I add more Crisco, more olive oil or less beeswax? Wich is most effective for softening and lowering the effective temp it'll operate in?
    Less BW and more of the other and reverse in summer ,works for me/Ed

How soft is excessively soft?

Boolit Master

If it is too soft to stay on the bullet while you are reloading, it is too soft. Other than that I don't feel there is a limit to "too soft".

No lube will stay on a paper patch boolit...it's for the cookie under boolit

Boolit Master

I don't do paper patching, just regular Blackpowder cartridge shooting. If you are getting hard deposits then you are most likely running out of lube, so more is better. Or blow tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    Why would that bother you? It is a primary ingredient of Black Powder...

Long ago I was advised to use 60/40 Bees Wax and petroleum jelly or a +/- mix for cold or hot weather.
    Never had an issue with that composition and it flows very well in a lubesizer too.
    That said, I did just buy a can of Crisco and have other ingredients like anhydrous lanolin which I mix with castor oil for swaging lube along with all of the usual stuff like Olive, Peanut, Canola, Walnut, regular veg. oil, ATF, paraffin, Marvel Mystery, Murphy's, Johnson's etc. etc. etc.
    Its enough to get dizzy thinking about it...
    Some day I will just make a huge supply of something and stop thinking about it!!

Nah, it don't bother me in the least with what you want to use.
    I tried it my self and I didn't like my cases getting edged with the green stuff that builds up. Down the bore is not a problem, salt or no salt because I clean my rifle when I get done shooting but the rounds that have been loaded for a spell will turn green side.
    I very seldom use any lube with my PP loads unless I want to make a soft load I add a lube wad to take up case capacity.
    I have some rounds loaded from 05 that I shot up last week to use the brass for a different load and no sign of green in any of those cases with the lube I use.

Boolit Bub
    I've used Crisco, olive oil, deer tallow, and mutton tallow. All mixed 60/40 by volume with beeswax. My preference is with the animal tallows. Both of these have a favorable shelf life & higher melting point.
    Just finished rendering a batch provided by a fat does on this year's hunt.

Great lube for black or smokeless.

Regards,
    Slim

Thanks for all the advice, got another 20 loaded up to head for the range. We'll see if it works any better..at least I seem on the right track now.
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Boolit Master
    ....first cleaning patch almost took a hammer to push thru...
    Reply to post#43
    Use a trigger pump spray bottle to squirt some liquid down the bore prior to trying to push that first cleaning patch through the bore. Wetting the BP fouling first will soften it making it much, much easier to get that first patch through the bore. What ever liquid you choose to use as the wetting agent you should have the days ambient temperature in mind. Straight water might not be the best choice in freezings temperatures, where as -40* windshield washing fluid would be a better choice. Mild weather a water/Ballistol mix work for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123