Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unfired Rifles

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A single shot Frank Wesson in .32 rimfire came to me years ago.

I can't find ammo for it.
    There's some old stuff out there for about $5-10 each, but most of it is duded out from old age.
    CIL makes a run every now and then but it's really not cheap and is hard to find . Dixie gun works used to have cases that used .22 blanks as a primer that you loaded with black powder and either a bullet or round ball , bet they still got them and the blanks .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I don't own anything that I do not use. If it sets too long without being shot it gets sold or traded for something I will shoot .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    None and never will. If I don't shoot it I sell it. That includes the collectibles.

Shooting firearms that are over 100yrs old is interesting to say the least. Or, like the 24ga, where we had to hand craft ammo for it at one time (made brass cases on the lathe). Now we can get 24ga brass cases, all the wads and such already made. Even some factory ammo is available at times.

Father-in-law had one that we determined had probably not been fired, but it was hard to determine due to age. It was a 1600's coat pistol, flintlock. It was donated to a museum.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    One... A Ruger scout 450 bushmaster... Because I picked it up today.

Oh wait!...I have a 1890’s Charles Daly side-by-side 10 gauge I bought 20 years ago. It’s currently getting new hammers put on it so I can go out and kill some predators and turkeys with it.

I would like to say never but it would be a lie. In the past several years I have bought A Lot of GUNS ! Some need a little work or ammo I don't have but I will try to shoot them all.
    I have been trying to use guns that have not taken a deer to be the next in line each year and don't have many that I have not taken a deer, hog or antelope with now. I have a lot of wildcats and this year have finally taken big game with all of them.
    I still have a few I have not fired yet but workin on it.

After rereading the original post I have zero new unfired guns, all of mine are old used guns.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 11-20-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    A single shot Frank Wesson in .32 rimfire came to me years ago.

I can't find ammo for it.
    There's some old stuff out there for about $5-10 each, but most of it is duded out from old age.
    Run a search for >299153< on Gunbroker. That will get you to Jack Harrison's selection of .32 rimfire adapters, plus the correct Lyman 288153 heeled bullets. Jack uses .22 Ramset loads, but I prefer by far to use 6mm "Acorn" blanks and a 1.6 grain pinch of Bullseye. The acorn blanks, being both very short and made from soft copper, are so much easier to punch out of the adaptors when it's time to reload, saving wear and tear on the adapters. Amazon used to have them, but now I go to www.gundogsupply.com

There is some Navy Arms .32 rimfire around, at collector prices. It's junk. I fired a handful of it in a Stevens Favorite, and about 1 in 4 burst the rim. Thank you Jesus for giving us safety glasses!
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-16-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

My only unfired rifle is a Mauser 71/84. Legend has it that a stash of these in unissued condition was found in Germany after WW2, and shipped to Canada. This one must be one of those. It has had the wood scraped and refinished, but the bore is as pristine as can be. I've never fired it either, despite having obtained proper brass for it, and a mould.

If we're talking about rifles unfired by me, I've probably got two dozen or more. A curse of being a collector of odd calibers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

It wasn't unfired, but I had only shot a couple of cast rounds through it. Interarms Mark X in .25-06. The scope set up it came with was obviously off, ran out of adjustment on two different scopes. Ordered a Redfield set up for it and broke one of the rings installing it, then got side tracked a while. New rings I ordered came in Friday so I mounted up a scope and shot it. Was kind of disappointed in the accuracy I got, but it was a first try, so we'll see. Nice rifle.

Not a rifle, but there is that little Stevens 16 gauge double side by side I bought last Spring. Been wanting to do some squirrel hunting, maybe that one will go out this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12