Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fn 49

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Well...got all the parts together. Had to order from Numrich & APEX to find everything. Got it assembled, will try and get out and test fire. Will get pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks for all the replies here. I know very little about this rifle but really like the way it handles. Hope it shoots as well. Thanks Guys!!!!!

rmcc
    rmcc,

I like the M49 VERY much and have the 7MM, .30-06 and 8mm. I have never seen the 7.65MM to complete my collection. In my M49s I use cast boolits. For the loads that don't cycle the bolt, I shut off the gas system and manually cycle the bolt to retain my fired cases.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Back in the '90's, I found a beat up middle-eastern '49 in 8mm for cheap, ordered a surplus new 8mm barrel because the surplus ammo was plentiful and a .30 cal blank to make a copy of the original barrel. It sat around a while until finally I had an FN49 in 7.62x51 with a match chamber throated for M-852. It wasn't sighted in for a specific distance, but I got it on the paper and SHAZAM!!! With some surplus M-852 from a rest, it put the first five rounds into one ragged hole at 100 yards. Keeper! Could have covered it with a nickel. I could just make out the first hole from the firing line, and kept wondering where the others were going, but I concentrated on sight picture, breath control, squeeze and let it surprise me, and I was surprised indeed. That very limited supply of surplus M-852 seems to have been the magic, though. I tried everything to reproduce those exquisite results with match 168gr HPBT's, various propellants and specially prepared cases, but couldn't bring it off. I got very good results, but no more one-hole groups. A pity, I thought, but maybe I was spoiled by the initial results. The next effort will be with cast, swaged solid/smooth, paper patched and swaged again for near perfect uniformity. All I need for this is some free time (HAH! Right.), a round tuit and we'll see how it does.

Well guys, got gas sleeve adjusted and took to range today. Shot some surplus TW54 and some 168 SMK I had loaded in LC NM 65 brass for the Garand. Had a couple of issues with returning to battery, either I am running it too dry or the recoil springs need replaced as they are pretty ratty. All ready have springs ordered and will replace before I take rifle back out. But, I really LIKE this rifle!! Here are some pics. I started with the barreled action, trigger group, and top cover. Had to assemble the rest.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	252015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	252016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	252017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	252018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	252019

Rifle is a Luxembourg contract with a low serial # ( I think it is low,, anyway)

Thank you for all the comments and info on this rifle from you guys, it was really helpful.

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12