Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fn 49

Fn 49

Just picked up a barreled action in 30/06 marked FN. All numbers match but am missing a LOT of stock parts. Numrich had most of them. Anybody familiar with this rifle?
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Buddy
    Terrible rifle, get rid of it. I’ll PM you.

But great rifle.

I think most (some) parts are interchangeable with the 8mm version.

My 8mm had stock issues - the wood shrunk - so I had to glass bed the action (the trigger guard).

Use a 2 piece firing pin.

Easy to load for - M-1 Garand loads.

I hope you get it lined out, they are nice rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Probably one of the best examples the last of the "Old School", long action, semi-auto rifles before the shift to newer technology.

Early post war FN products rivaled the pre-war quality that FN was known for. I've handled FN49's and they leave you with the impression of a pre-war gun. Lots of forged and machined parts well fitted. Unfortunately the FN49 was a victim of its era. Modern, less expensive to produce, short action rifles displaced it in short order.

I would absolutely attempt to build that action into a complete rifle.

Like P&P said. Very fine rifle, well worth the cost to rebuild.

AND it has adjustable gas- hello cast!

Got everything ordered except front handguard. Jack First has one in catalog so will try there. Thanks for replies!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Unfortunately the FN49 was a victim of its era. Modern, less expensive to produce, short action rifles displaced it in short order.
    Lets not forget the FN49 led right to the FAL. The FAL held it's own for 40 years, from the 1950s to the '90s. It truly was the last of the old battle rifles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    Lets not forget the FN49 led right to the FAL. The FAL held it's own for 40 years, from the 1950s to the '90s. It truly was the last of the old battle rifles.
    The FN49 was a stepping stone but a fairly short lived one. In some ways it was a shame that the FN49 didn't have a longer production run and in other ways it was good that it was the basis for so much more.
    In any event, it was and still is, a good rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The FN49 was a stepping stone but a fairly short lived one. In some ways it was a shame that the FN49 didn't have a longer production run and in other ways it was good that it was the basis for so much more.
    In any event, it was and still is, a good rifle.
    I've lamented this myself as well, it's important to note that the story of the FN49 isn't a tragic one of a rifle that had lot of merit but unfortunately ended up as a developmental dead end leaving us to wonder what could have been. The FAL is very plainly the evolution of the FN49, the gas system in particular is identical and there are a lot of little touches in the FAL that speak to it's lineage. Detachable magazines and much lower cost manufacturing were very obviously in order in the 1950's, the FN49 wasn't going to catch on but it's heart lived on inside the "right arm of the free world".

No, what's actually is shame is how you Americans completely ruined the FAL for the rest of NATO.

After the organization was formed post WW2 it was agreed by all parties they should standardize on one rifle/cartridge in an open and collaborative effort. The FAL was originally designed for .280 british, a lovely intermediate cartridge consisting of a 140gr projectile at 2550 fps. developed by the British with help from FN and the Canadian Army.
    It was discovered you could have could better ballistics than .303 with half the recoil/much less muzzle blast, and it made for remarkably good shooting characteristics in a semi/fully automatic rifle.

It was a winner however the Americans sabotaged the effort, being stuck on the old paradigm of full power battle rifles and refusing to accept any cartridge that had less energy than 30-06.
    They secretly started developing their own rifle/cartridge, buried their own reports showing the superiority of .280 british, and forced redevelopment of the .280 several times making it more powerful to try and meet their requirements for ballistics, which were actually all achieved with the exception of muzzle energy.

Finally there was an agreement between Churchill and Truman that the rest of NATO would standardize on a 30cal cartridge, if the Americans agreed to accept the FAL as the standard. The US even had a deal where they could produced the FAL royalty free, yet the still decided to not do what they agreed and instead keep developing their own rifle.

The end sum of all of this is every NATO county but the US adopted the FAL, no longer in a lovely intermediate cartridge that would have made it better in every way, and the kluged up garand America adopted as a service rifle lasted all of 7 years before the Americans went "ah no wait, this was a really bad idea" and adopted something else. Switching to a totally new cartridge and leaving everyone else with their FALs, which while were still excellent rifles, were NOT the fantastic shooting intermediate chambered assault rifles they could have been.

You see a lot of talk about replacing 5.56 with a 6.5 or 6.8mm intermediate cartridge, and given organizational inertia this is unlike to materialize anytime soon. But we could have had it all over 60 years ago, with tons of cheap surplus flooding the marked by now, if not only for a ton of short sighted obstinate by a certain NATO founding member.

My Venezuelan FN49 in 7x57mm one of my very favorite rifles, and my handloads for it are closer to what .280 would have been than fullpower 7x57. Realizing how close we were to a FAL in that chambering and how much nicer of a gun it would have been compaired to having it in 7.62x51 is physically painful.

Opinions vary....

Despite the tail (other NATO members) wanting to wag the dog (USA) and their continuing lack of enthusiasm about contributing a fair share totheir own defense, the M14 was and is a fine rifle, as is the 7.62mm a fine cartridge. No one could foresee the future that Viet Nam would make another rifle and cartridge change desirable, giving the M14 an early ticket to semi-retirement.

The FN49, while a fine rifle, is arguably no better than the M1 Garand that performed so well in WW II. The FN-FAL is also a fine rifle and has served admirably around the world, but like Tim (the tool man) Taylor, Americans always opt for more power. Don't overlook the fact that the 7.62mm made an admirable machine gun cartridge and shared the round with the battle rifle(s). The 5.56mm cartridge and the evolution of the M16 has been with us for about 54 years now, threatening to unseat the .303 British cartridge and Lee Enfield as to longevity. Thankfully we did not end up with a oddity like the French FAMAS or British bullpup. You can make mine an M14 in 7.62mm. Thank you.

Banned
    The FAL probably would have been a better rifle (and I'm not implying that it's bad) if it would have remained chambered in 280 British.
    The history is well known. Bashing the U.S. and bashing NATO will not change history, it is what it is.

The .308 Win is one of my favorite cartridges but right there with it in my rankings are the 7mm Mauser and the 7mm -08. Had the U.S. been able to accept something alone the lines of the 280, I think history would have played out much differently. Perhaps the 5.56 wouldn't have appeared as quickly as it did if we had adopted something closer to 7mm rather than sticking in the 7.62mm class......we'll never know.

In any event, the FN49 was probably a necessary evolutionary step regardless of what the next step would be. By the time the FN49 came out, the writing was on the wall. The next generation of battle rifles would have a lot of stamped steel components or alloy construction. An intermediate power cartridge was likely to be adopted and higher capacity would rule.
    The SKS and AK families were already in production. The British wanted to replace their Lee Enfield's with a big leap forward in technology. The U.S. was wedded to the .30 caliber but not necessarily a long action 30 caliber. The late war Mauser designed assault rifles would give birth to H&K and CETME and the Mauser engineers would be a part of that. It was one of those unique times in history were a fundamental shift in firearms design was going to occur no matter what. The shift may have looked different due to the forces at play but that shift was going to happen one way or another.
    In that process we got thee FN49. While the FN49 may not hold as big of a piece of history as the FAL, AK-47 or M-16, the FN49 is still a part of history.

Be advised, real light loads worked gradually upwards in powder charge can make a FN49 go D-D-D-Dow! before you can get your finger off the trigger. Might sound like fun but cartridges go off before the action shuts and case shoulders collapse and rupture and your spotter (better 2/3's) gets upset and...
    But they grouped really good!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    No, what's actually is shame is how you Americans completely ruined the FAL for the rest of NATO...
    Knowing the history and politics behind the adoption of the 7.62x51 cartridge I am in full agreement with you except for your statement above. That's the kind of statement that causes you to loose some teeth.

Neither I, my father, my grandfather, my fathers best friend (Korean War vet) nor our old next door neighbor (WWI vet) had anything to do with the choice of caliber. It was a decision of a few US Army Generals. So don't start bloviating with "you Americans" BS.

Thank you.

I guess we've made our point--or at least made our feelings known. I would like to say though, returning to the original subject, that the FN49 is a very good rifle. I've wanted one for years for my accumulation, but they were always a bit more than I wanted to spend in relation to the economy at the time. The Belgians had a contingent in Korea which acquitted themselves well, and I believe that they were armed with the FN49 in .30-06. That would be the one that I would want, with an 8mm being the next in line, and lastly a 7x57mm. I'm not going to make a research project out of it, but I believe that they have a fixed magazine that is loaded with stripper clips, whereas the M1 Garand had the 8 round en bloc clips. Something to be said for both systems, as you can't top off a Garand and have to replace the remaining rounds with a new clip; but on the other hand, I think doing so has it advantages over messing with a 5 round stripper to top off 7 or 8 rounds remaining in the FN's magazine. Whichever model one encounters and is fortunate enough to acquire, they are all exceptionally well made as are all FN products. Does anyone else remember the rifles that were on the market a few years ago, FN49s altered by the Argentines to accept a 20 round magazine? Now there would be a great acquisition!
    Perhaps even at this late stage of life there is an FN49 out there somewhere looking for me......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    snip
    I'm having some fun, don't take me too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I'm not going to make a research project out of it, but I believe that they have a fixed magazine that is loaded with stripper clips, whereas the M1 Garand had the 8 round en bloc clips. Something to be said for both systems, as you can't top off a Garand and have to replace the remaining rounds with a new clip; but on the other hand, I think doing so has it advantages over messing with a 5 round stripper to top off 7 or 8 rounds remaining in the FN's magazine.......
    Perhaps even at this late stage of life there is an FN49 out there somewhere looking for me......
    The neat thing about the FN49 is it has a bolt hold open lever on the left top side of the receiver cover. When you push it in with the thumb of your support hand and run the charging handle back, it will lock it in the rearward position. You're then free to cram another stripper clip in, pull the charging handle back, and you're back in action. Quite slick.
    Quite an esoteric discussion as either system is quite obsolete now, but it's fun to play around with.

The prices on FN49's in particular have gotten insane up here in the last 4 years or so, you used to be able to find them for around $600, but now you see people asking $1600. I've gone through a few but finally settled on a Venezuelan that's an arsenal refurb. It has an arsenal replacement stock, and the top cover doesn't match but it's got a brand new barrel and gas system in it. All I could ask for in a shooter.
    Keep looking.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 11-19-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    One of the milsurp weapons I wish I had the money and foresight for at the time. Joins the Johnson, a boatload of excellent condition Remington RBs (not that I don't have any, but more is always better), US GI 1911A1s (had to settle for Argentine '27s), M1917 S&W Revolvers (have a kludged shooter, not a collector and didn't get the 1937 Brazilian either), and so many more.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Be advised, real light loads worked gradually upwards in powder charge can make a FN49 go D-D-D-Dow! before you can get your finger off the trigger. Might sound like fun but cartridges go off before the action shuts and case shoulders collapse and rupture and your spotter (better 2/3's) gets upset and...
    But they grouped really good!
    My Venezuelan 7x57mm FN49 went triple and the last shot blew a 3/8" flake of case wall into my neck. I was shooting from the hip(Rambo era). I bled but was ok. I had a gunsmith repair it but the trust was gone. So I traded it with full disclosure for a Remington 1100.

Well...got all the parts together. Had to order from Numrich & APEX to find everything. Got it assembled, will try and get out and test fire. Will get pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks for all the replies here. I know very little about this rifle but really like the way it handles. Hope it shoots as well. Thanks Guys!!!!!

rmcc

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Well...got all the parts together. Had to order from Numrich & APEX to find everything. Got it assembled, will try and get out and test fire. Will get pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks for all the replies here. I know very little about this rifle but really like the way it handles. Hope it shoots as well. Thanks Guys!!!!!

rmcc
    You found it all? That's a stroke of luck, I bet it wasn't pocket change but they're starting to get scarce. Soon enough you'll be hard pressed to find them at any price.

I'll be waiting for those pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast