RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What to do with venison backstraps?

Boolit Master

“Gaminess” comes from Miss handling. Period. B eef lamb chicken can all get it too! Heck fish... If it smells like fish IT AINT FRESH!! FRESH fish has no fishy smells.

Fresh properly handled meat has no gaminess.

BUT, sometimes its Inevitable. When I have someone who dosent eat venison regularly or Im worried they might not like it Ill marinate in Teriyaki.

You can cook up like liver n onions. You can bread and fry. You can cook with onions and peppers over rice with gravy.

MOST IMPORTANT. DO NOT OVER COOK! To heck with your preferred here, Med Rare is how you cook lean meats like Venison. Rare ok too if you like but well done is shoe leather.

Also it smokes very very well.

Im doing a smoked loin for our thanks giving dinner.
    CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I never notice a gamey taste in deer,including rutting bucks,but I was taught,and have taught my kids to quickly deal with the privates,and to cut them scent glands off the back of the rear legs.In that order,because once that is done I either clean,or change knives.We are always careful gutting them as well,and while I have hung them from the rear legs,I usually hang them from the head,and not only is it necessary to split the pelvis,but I always cut a deep ring around the lower joint on the rear legs,and let all that dark blood run out.I have skinned them while still hot,as well as let them hang for a while depending on the weather,I like to spread the rear legs as wide as possible,and tie them to something to keep them spread.I have also tied the front legs spread on hefty deer because they cool better..

In Remembrance

I brine a whole backstrap overnight and then smoke it with applewood low and slow. Delicious. My rub is 3 tbs brown sugar, 1 tbs each of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and Everglades seasoning, and 1tsp salt.

Here in the land of 80 degree deer hunting, we must be quick with the gutting and skinning. My family will eat ground venison in soup, Mexican food or Spaghetti. So I get the entire deer except the back straps and tenderloins ground with no additives. Same day fresh back strap chicken fried is a delight. But usually I pan sear back strap in olive oil/ cast iron. I only coat it with McCormick steak rub and cook to medium rare. I make a sauce comprised of whipping cream, wild plum jelly, and Tony Chacheres cajun salt. EVERYONE at the table eats it, even the little ones.
    I cooked Sandhill Crane that way yesterday and it is superb!
    I have raised cattle all my life so beef is what's for dinner mostly, but I love wild game from elk to bullfrogs.
    Edit to show another option. Served with home made Salsa Verde( very hot)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 11-26-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It makes the best quality pieces of jerky you’ll ever have. I also have cut it in long strips and soaked it in Worcester shire sauce and Coca-Cola for a day and then wrapped in bacon. I’ve got it up in the butterflies and fried up in a pan with cream of mushroom soup as well. Best part of the deer. I’ve also broiled it in the oven to see or the outside and keep it pink in the middle like Texas shows above...that’s my favorite! I think I need to get an internal temp thermometer though Because when I make it it always cleans me out instantly.

Boolit Master

I smoked two half loins for new years. 8 people DEVOURED IT in minutes. I had to work most of the morning. Got home fired the smoker. Was able to get meat in by 13:30. Pulled last pieces off after my shower @ 18:00 and off to my buddies up the road. It was gone before 20:00!! Some new the rest never asked but everyone enjoyed it. It was gone BEFORE the Scallops or shrimp! Just salt and pepper and smoke.

Loins need a NOTHING but a lil fire.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234