Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 429106 Ideal mold

Boolit Master

429106 Ideal mold

I recently bought an old single cavity Ideal 429106 mold. It's a small little round nose boolit, I think 160 grains. I bought it to load up small game loads to shoot from my 44 special revolver and maybe try it in my Marlin 94 44 mag or 1866 clone 44-40 if it will feed. Ive never seen this boolit before and just wondering if anyone else has played around with it. Single cavity molds don't usually attract my attention but this little boolit looks like it may be fun and possibly useful. If it works out well, a multi cavity mold will be on my wish list.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

Can't help you with that one but I got Tom at Accurate Molds to scale down a .45 cal. mold he had listed to .44 and it became #43-165B:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-165B-D.png

It works well in my 1894 Marlin. Use a fast powder though! I tried a 185 gr. load to start using IMR4227... didn't go well! There isn't much if any load data for the lightweights. I used 700X and that did pretty well. Low recoil with better accuracy than round ball.

Longbow

Vendor Sponsor

That early Ideal bullet was intended for use as a light target load in 44 S&W. Listed as 161 grains and elsewhere as 175grs. I think the hollow base variation is the one that is 161grs. It was one of a series of light bullets, the others even lighter. 429 104, 429 105, 429 106, 429 107 and 429 108, the last being a round ball. I am not sure I found much on why there were so many variations of these extra light bullets.
    They were also found on the Ideal loading tool (nut cracker tool with the mold built into the end)
    Chill Wills