Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Yugo M48 8mm Mauser Bullet Mold

Boolit Grand Master

Yugo M48 8mm Mauser Bullet Mold

I've been looking at threads on one but can't find anything recent. Is the Lee 175gr mold working out for members or does someone have something better? I'm leaning that way
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    the Lee C324-175-R works real good in my Yugo M-48 with IMR-3031

Boolit Master
    I have a Lyman I sort of prefer because it pours a bit larger than my Lee. That the said Lee does fine, it pours on the heavy side of .324 and I add lube and a GC with a .325. Hard to beat for the price.

Boolit Master
    I too have had really good shooting with the Lee 175 in all of my Mausers.
    I am trying a out a NOE 325 216 GC.
    So far it has been working out great with 2400 and RL-7.
    I can't locate my loading data right now , but I am also shooting both Boolits Powder Coated

Boolit Grand Master

I'm seeing a lot of references for powder in the 2400 range I have a couple of kegs of it for pistol use but I might buy another keg at the gun show if I'm going to start using it in a Mauser.
    do you remember where you're starting load was somewhere around 15 to 16 grains maybe

jon, I have one of those Lee moulds and find it shoots surprisingly well in spite of an undersized nose. I.e., it drops into the muzzle of its own weight. Other moulds to consider are either Ly. 323470, which is getting harder to find (and mind the 323 prefix) or the Lee ~200gr. bore rider, which was a group buy here years ago. Btw, #323470 and/or the 175gr. Lee mould may need to be "beagled." Lastly, 12gr. -13gr. Unique is a nice starting load for the above CB's.

NOE has the 325470 and 325423?, that work great in 8mm Mausers. My M48 really likes the Accurate 33-205T mold. The Lee 175 shots well over Alliant 2400 in my brothers shorter throated 24/47.
    * Posted from the deer blind! Hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have a rack of Yugo Mausers / Gewer 98's, and started casting for them about ten years ago.........thanks to this site and the excellent sticky on using 2400 in most of the military calibers.

My mold is a Lyman, a Loverin design of about 200+ grains. I cast and size it to .325, pushed through a Lachmiller lubesizer with a copper gas check. The load started at the suggested 16 grains of 2400 and was accurate, but soon grew to 17.5 grains for more "oomph". The result is an easy shooting, but potent, round that is my standard for these guns.

On my first outing in the field, I shot at an abandoned chunk of old, rusty, riveted culvert from about 50 yards. That boolit went through both 1/8" steel walls like it was Jello.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 11-16-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    In my 24/47, I use the NOE molds 326407 & 326471. Both are sized to 325. The 471 is the most accurate. Lee mold did not shoot well in my rifle.

My nephew's m48 did well with the Accurate 33-205T and the 175 Lee at 40 yards. About my limit with barlycorn sights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "I've been looking at threads on one but can't find anything recent. Is the Lee 175gr mold working out for members or does someone have something better? I'm leaning that way"

It shoots very well indeed. TBH, I cannot recall reported dissatisfaction with it.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    The Lee 175 is the cheapest , but also one of the best.
    The NOE 216 gr. is great.
    It puts more surface against the bore but is a Spire point not a bore rider.
    But being pointed.
    I am unsure if I would use it for hunting.
    I like more of a Rounded nose for hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee seems to be coming up with good remarks so I think I'll put it in my wife's Christmas list for me along with some gas checks. We both start a list on Amazon and put stuff in it for ourselves and we then pick stuff out to buy. After a number of years together it sure makes things a lot easier.

Boolit Master
    jonp,

My several M48s like the Lyman 323471, 215 grain gc RN boolit and 25 grains of IMR4198. I set my rear sight to "500" and hit on point of aim at 100 yards. I have not worked up a load using 2400 in the 8mm.

Adam

In Remembrance

Jonp:

Check out Midsouth's 8mm Karabiner 215 grain flat point mold. I have found it to be a bit more accurate than the Lee 175 grain slug and significantly more effective for hunting. 17 to 19 grains of Alliant's 2400 or 20 grains of Reloder 7 results in about 1850 fps with my M48 Yugo-mauser. I cast from ACCOWW + 2% tin and size to .325, then seat to just touch the rifling leade.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4C44350-DFD5-4F71-B92D-BD49B4B0BC4F.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	251679Im in this boat myself!!

Been casting for ever but just started with the 8mm. I have had at least one Mauser in 8 since I started hunting. But always shot jacketed.

I picked up a single cav 323470 mold and cast my first bullets from it yesterday.

Im waiting on some NOE bushings and Sage GC’s. Then Ill powder coat them and size.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Those are some pretty boolits for having been your first boolits. Either you picked up a well seasoned mold or the force of Galena is strong with you! Although I have never shot the Great Eight I was recently gifted a 7.65 Argentinian Mauser. I am looking forward to casting for that.

I wanted to get a Mauser for Decades! Back when a 1896 Spanish Mauser, re-barreled for .308 was dirt cheap, I tried to get a buddy with an FFL to order one for me. He wouldn't because he thought the 1896 action was not strong enough for .308W. I tried to tell him it was going to be a cast boolit rifle. Oh well, decades later I received the 7.65, numbers matching, pristine bore, stock in great shape. The friend who gave it to me wanted to see me do a bluing restore I explained the bare spot on the top of the action was where the Argentine govt. removed the cartouche off all exports, something they only did for a while. This one came from the original order/shipment, I'm going to leave it as is.

I look forward to pictures of your loaded rounds (I PC too) and your range report(s). I make my own gas checks and can fudge the dies to make slightly bigger checks. I know I can do 7.65, 8 shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Once again, great boolits, good luck! Frank
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!