RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: problems with scope mounting

Boolit Master

problems with scope mounting

I have an older 30-06 mauser 98 action that was improperly drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
    I ran out of adjustment with windage dial on the scope so I bought a set of Burris Z-mounts and a set of their plastic offset ring inserts. One of the recommendation on the Burris package was to use a non-slip material between the plastic inserts and the mounts.
    My question: What type of material would you (all) recommend for this?
    note: I have used the system without this material and with heavy 165 gr J-s found no slippage so I wonder if this non-slip material is really necessary.

thanks for your thoughts
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I use cloth electrical tape to stop scope movement.I haven't had to use anything on the Burris mounts.

Boolit Grand Master

I would not and I do not use non-slip material per the specific Signature Insert instructions from Burris.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sites/d...nstruction.pdf

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/39/...ings_guide.pdf

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ation-changes/

If a ring has enough clearance for anything other than rosin is goes into the junk pile. This product claims to be 0.0010" so it may be usable.

http://www.highpoweroptics.com/ringtrue-tape-i-89.html

https://www.highpoweroptics.com/product-faqs-i-101.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have taken several Mausers that had the base holes drilled off center. (Mostly on the rear base.)
    I was able to put a shim under one side of the rear base where it mounts to the receiver to make the ring Cant over to one side and make the scope more centered to the bore.
    Most times it only took a shim .005 thick to bring the scope back to near center.

Boolit Master

problems with scope mounting

powdered rosin can be used to prevent scope slip, but I am having a hard time visualizing the plastic slipping in the scope rings themselves.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    I had a Mauser with a that problem,the shape of the rear mounting surface was off. I was using Weaver bases. The base needed to be shimmed to get the proper elevation. Ended up buying a set of windage adjustable rings and lapping them slightly. If I can I like to center the scope adjustment and go from there.

More than one way to do it, you just have to work through it.

Boolit Master
    I usually center the scope to zero both elevation and windage on V blocks before I start to try and mount any scope.
    Then I use a laser bore sighter or Thru the bore method to see how far the scope is off set at Zero.
    I then leave the scope dials alone.
    Then I decide if I need to shim the bases either for elevation or windage without adjusting the scope dials at all.
    Shims can be cut out of aluminum cans or brass .
    All of my scopes that I mount are on paper at 50 yards before I even touch any of the scope adjustments.
    It is a little more time and effort , but to me , the time spent is well worth it.

Switch to Redfield Jr or Sr mounts. After you reset your scope adjustments to zero as mentioned above. Then you can adjust windage with the rear ring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have no ring slippage on any of the Burris signature rings and bases I have installed on any of my rifles. In fact the rings that came with my Sako 75 have the same inserts as the Burris rings. That scope has never shifted or needed adjustments for either windage or elevation once it was sighted in. Burris even makes their ring sets for the Redfield junior bases. I'm kinda partial to weaver's grand slam steel bases and Burris's zee rings. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully not getting "busted" and sent to Federal prison for 35-years-to-life (or more), I have heard a great anti-slip/anti-mar substance is plain-Jane dollar bills. Currency paper indeed has many uses in addition to paying for beer -- e.g., as an electronics tech it was my "go-to" for relay contact and similar burnishing and similar -- and once again, it has (again, I've been told -- not me to break the law by defacing currency! ) been just the perfect thing to line scope rings with. Also, using one piece above or below the 'scope ring in rear, with a second just the opposite at other end -- does in fact move point of impact a bit, too.
    Remember, NOT what I'd dare to do... but what I have been told -- law-breakers purport it works well.

Boolit Master

Well, success...without no-slip paper.
    I put a -10MOA to the right side of the front mount and a -20MOA on the left side of the rear mount. Sighted in the rifle this morning and had lots of windage adjust left. So, yes the inserts do work.
    thanks all
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 11-19-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !