Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New(to me) M1 Garand Rebarreled to .308Win(7.62 NATO)

Boolit Master

New(to me) M1 Garand Rebarreled to .308Win(7.62 NATO)

Per the title, I just acquired an M1 Garand that has been rebarreled to .308 Win. When I say "rebarreled", the description does not include that word. It says "mfg by Springfield Armory in April, 1942 with Criterion 5-18 .308 barrel".

My first question is: Can I use information in the BruceB thread concerning the M1A? If not, any information about reloading for this rifle would be appreciated. The description also includes a note that the "magazine has plastic insert to allow for either 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester ammo to be used". This confused my because I could not understand why the use of either would involve the magazine. Does this mean that enbloc clips can or cannot be used?

I haven't really sat down and examined the rifle or compared it to the other Garand that I have had for a few years. I haven't done any reloading for the .30-06 Garand yet but don't expect the .308 to not have unique requirements.

Any insights would be helpful and appreciated.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I rebarreled a garand to 7.62 / 308 some years ago using a med heavy douglas blank. Yes you still use the enblock clips if its still a full garand. BM59 conversions used an m 14 mag I believe. The block mentioned is in the front of the mag well to compensate for the difference between length of 307 and 30-06. I never put one in mine and it feeds and functions fine. On garands with this conversion I would really recommend the use if a sled clip for single loading. the shorter case losses some drag slowing the bolt when chambering and the sled may help with this.

Loads for the m1A M14 are good use loads designed for the service rifles. Remember that the garand was not meant for powders slower than 4320, The old stand by in high power were 4895 and 4064.
    My match duplication load was LC match case fed fold medal primer 41.5 grns 4895 IMR ad a hornady 168 grn bt hp match bullet, this load duplicated LC M852 both velocities and zeros in my rifles. Start low and work up for safety reasons.

Boolit Master

Thanks! That answers my first questions.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I barreled my one m1 to .308 years ago when 06 brass was hard to get and .308 was every where. the block was to keep some one from trying to load .30-06 in a converted rifle. I did not put in the block and have not had any trouble at all. I use load specs. for the m14.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    RL15 and Varget are also good powders for the Garand in either cal. .30 or 7.62mm.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    RL15 and Varget are also good powders for the Garand in either cal. .30 or 7.62mm.
    I have a 8 lb jug of DP85, which is supposed to be close to Varget. Would it be suitable if I started somewhat low and worked up to be sure it actuated the bolt? I also have H4895.
    John
    W.TN

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No clue on the DP85.

Being a surplus powder and knowing nothing of its origin, age or conditions of storage I would avoid it and use only new, fresh powder. H4895 is OK.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Something sits cross-wise for me here. If the rifle was rebarreled in 1942, keep in mind that the 308 Winchester/7.62 x 51 was not in existence until c. 1952. I would be sure of your chamber length before proceeding. "308" may be its nominal groove diameter--NOT its chamber spec.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Im thinking this is a CMP / DCM rifle assembled and the barrel replaced with a new criterion barrel ( criterion is a division of Krieger Barrels) The CMP/DCM has rebuilt some of the rougher garands by mixing matching parts and barrels. The Springfield Armory referred to may be the original armory not todays manufacturer.

Criterion wasn't there in 1942 either so this is another reason for my thoughts.

Look over the paper work if any and see if the CMP / DCM logo shows on it or is mentioned. Also a lot have been done by gunsmiths over the years. I also believe some VFWS have used the insert to convert to 308. 308 blanks are easier to find now than 30-06.

I was told years ago that many M1 grands was rebarreled to the 7.62 by the army in the transition to the M14, but have never done any research on it.

Boolit Master
    Here is a little information for you I don't use the spacer block in my 308 Garand guys. The firing pin does not have any form of spring action or retention between fully retracted and fully extended. The firing pin is retracted by bridge in lower receiver about the time the extractor contacts rear of rim before bolt rotates into battery. Nothing will (should not) occur using only 308/7.62x51 ammunition, although there have been reports of an occasional slam fire in a single feed scenario.
    THE DANGER IS IF ONE WERE TO INSTALL A CLIP FULL OR A ROUND OF 30-06!!!!!! The neck will seat with exposed cartridge in an open breech and the potential for an inertia fire is very real. Your gun, your face, your loved one, your call.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Im thinking this is a CMP / DCM rifle assembled and the barrel replaced with a new criterion barrel ( criterion is a division of Krieger Barrels) The CMP/DCM has rebuilt some of the rougher garands by mixing matching parts and barrels. The Springfield Armory referred to may be the original armory not todays manufacturer.

Criterion wasn't there in 1942 either so this is another reason for my thoughts.

Look over the paper work if any and see if the CMP / DCM logo shows on it or is mentioned. Also a lot have been done by gunsmiths over the years. I also believe some VFWS have used the insert to convert to 308. 308 blanks are easier to find now than 30-06.
    The rifle arrived with a CMP hang tag. I'm not in the shop so I can't quote what is on it. Stock has CMP eagle cartouche embossed. A little faint and I almost missed it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    CMP has converted many Garands to .308 Win. Basically a simple conversion, since it only involves changing the only the barrel. CMP even sells Criterion barrels alone, for those who want to change their rifles.
    Since it's chambered in .308 Win, you can safely fire Military Surplus 7.62x51 NATO ammo in it.
    The .308 Garand will have slightly less recoil than a standard 30/06 Garand. But will probably be more accurate.
    As was stated, it really doesn't need the spacer in the mag well to function. The spacer only serves to prevent loading 30/06 ammo in the magazine.

Have one of the "tankers" in 308 ...
    Really enjoy using it on occasion with my cast.
    Been quit a while tho ..will have to start over, working up.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    it was the navy that went with the .308 grand. it was cheaper then buying m14 rifles. h&r did the work. if the barrel was good the rifle got the sleeve which some times came out. if the barrel needed replacement the new barrel was chambered in .308.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Per the title, I just acquired an M1 Garand that has been rebarreled to .308 Win. When I say "rebarreled", the description does not include that word. It says "mfg by Springfield Armory in April, 1942 with Criterion 5-18 .308 barrel".

My first question is: Can I use information in the BruceB thread concerning the M1A? If not, any information about reloading for this rifle would be appreciated. The description also includes a note that the "magazine has plastic insert to allow for either 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester ammo to be used". This confused my because I could not understand why the use of either would involve the magazine. Does this mean that enbloc clips can or cannot be used?

I haven't really sat down and examined the rifle or compared it to the other Garand that I have had for a few years. I haven't done any reloading for the .30-06 Garand yet but don't expect the .308 to not have unique requirements.

Any insights would be helpful and appreciated.
    Alamo,

I think perhaps you should have asked your questions of the Seller of your rifle??

Adam

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Alamo,

I think perhaps you should have asked your questions of the Seller of your rifle??

Adam
    He is a dealer and sells almost exclusively to collectors. He has always treated me fairly but does not claim to know anything beyond collector value. I'm probably one of a small group of customers that only buy what I can shoot.

Besides, I've learned everything I wanted to know from previous posters. They have been very generous with their knowledge.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Alamogunr,
    Your rifle sounds like a fine piece of equipment to work with. It should be a very accurate reliable rifle, but may need a little break in. If your rifle was on of the cmp assembled ones the cmp armorers are pretty good from what I have seen. You may be surprised how well it performs.

The navy converted were done mostly in the armories and selected fir the conversion from what I have been told. The Navy also accurized these rifles for their teams. The Garand was a fine rifle in both calibers. I believe Patton labeled it "the Finest battle rifle ever produced"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    I was told years ago that many M1 grands was rebarreled to the 7.62 by the army in the transition to the M14, but have never done any research on it.

The Navy did the early conversions, as they didn't want to spend the money for M-14's. The 7.62/.308 conversions shot really well, the Navy team used them for many years with great success.

I had several M-1 that I rebarreled to 7.62/.308 and shot highpower service rifle competition for many years with it. Standard load was 41.5 gr IMR4895, Sierra or Hornady 168 or 173 bullets in LC brass. The heavier bullet would be good to 1000 yds, the 168 up to 600, they would loose stability & tumble at long range. Since the 7.62 is about 1/2 inch shorter than the .30 cal, as the throat wears you can seat your bullets out longer. Lots of little advantages of the 7.62 over the .30 in the M-1 Garand.

Load the clips just like the 30 cal. You don't need any spacers or gadgets. For rapid fire, just drop in an empty clip, load your 2 rounds & let the bolt slide forward. Advantage is you don't have to drop the magazine like the M-14. After you shoot your first 2, the clip flies out and you just push your 8 round clip in and continue. Saves you a few seconds that can be better spent concentrating on your position & natural point of aim, sight alignment & trigger control.

You're gonna love that M-1 in 7.62! Earned my Distinguished & Presidents with mine, (that was over 30 years ago).

Boolit Master

Kind of a resurrection here. I would like to find a book on the Garand so I can learn more about disassembly and reassembly. It has been almost 60 years since I did anything with the Garand in ROTC. Those rifles must have been almost smooth bore with all the cleaning we had to do without ever shooting them. I can't remember if we did any disassembly or not. I suspect we did not.

For some reason I keep getting emails from Scott Duff publications. Are there better ones?
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast