Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Off the wall question

Boolit Grand Master

Off the wall question

While reading Shifts and Expedients of Camp Life by William Barry Lord, I've came across some very peculiar sections on hunting, and bullet casting. One that really stood out to me was when describing what to bring on a long trip. While going through things like caps, molds, of course lead, the author also stated to use some kind of lead hardener. Tin and antimony were no surprise, but he also listed mercury.

This really got me thinking. I can't imagine dumping cold liquid mercury into a very hot liquid lead pot, that just sounds like a bad idea. How else would you mix them? If you could get them to mix, would it really harden it?

Boolit Master
    taufledermaus has a video mixing lead and mercury, but it says mercurys boiling point is very close to leads melting point. also it was an ugly goopy liquid and said its very weak. so idk about all that. would be cool though to have have a hardener that increases density instead of lowers it

Boolit Master

Yes, mercury hardens lead. It's in my metallurgy manuals. The down side is it contaminates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

It's just another tid bit of information that makes you wonder how much information we have lost on shooting in just 200 years.

Boolit Master
    Mercury vapor is very bad for you. Elemental Mercury isn't much better.

Hence the saying "mad as a hatter". Hat makers used mercury too. Also used in smelting gold.

Boolit Master
    Mercury also Disolved lead.
    But it will seperate other material from Gold when smelting.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Mercury vapor is very bad for you. Elemental Mercury isn't much better.
    I've heard your body will readily absorb, or take it in much like it does iron.
    Once in there, its very toxic.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I think at this point I would rather carry arsenic instead of mercury if I didnt have antimony or tin. I dont know which one works better though but I would imagine arsenic would be easier to control and clean up.

Boolit Buddy
    I once had a 1911 barrel come across my counter that was leaded so badly that there was no rifling to be seen. Tried soaking in several different cleaning solutions, but nothing would dislodge the leading. I finally taped up the muzzle end of the barrel, held it in a vise, and poured it full of mercury. (had a pan under vise in case of drips) Next day I poured the mercury back into it's container and proceeded to run a patch on a jag through the barrel, the jag pushed a huge glob of lead out the muzzle. Then ran a brush dipped in solvent through bore, and several patches. The barrel cleaned right up and looked like new.
    The guy was a new handloader and didn't realize that he should lube the bullets when he sized them. Said he fired the pistol until the slide wouldn't go into battery. Hmmmm, wow.
    He was happy with the cleaned barrel and went on his way. I expected for him to be back in a day or two with a Bag-O-Gun for me to put back together for him, but he must have gotten it back together by himself.

I still have my 15 pound bottle of mercury.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Buddy
    Hm... Mercury...

Added to the list of things like arsenic that while could be useful in alloying I'm not stupid enough to mess with on its pure form.

Boolit Grand Master

I've always heard about using Mercury on badly leaded barrels but I doubt that I will ever try using it as a hardner. There are things that are safer and easier.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    I once had a 1911 barrel come across my counter that was leaded so badly that there was no rifling to be seen. Tried soaking in several different cleaning solutions, but nothing would dislodge the leading. I finally taped up the muzzle end of the barrel, held it in a vise, and poured it full of mercury.…
    I still have my 15 pound bottle of mercury.
    Dropped mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk