MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: .357 dia hollow base wad cutter for .38 special pistol loads

.357 dia hollow base wad cutter for .38 special pistol loads

Decades ago I shot for the Navy's rifle and pistol team. I was given a 1911 modified by Bo Mar / BARSTO to fire .38 special wad cutter ammo only ( As in Army .38 AMU) and the pistol was my "mid-range" target gun.
    We fired a swagged,hollow based, 158 grain wad-cutter the had thinned walls at the hollow base than what is offered today. The load was Bullseys but not much as you fired rapid-fire at 25 yards.
    The bullet obdurated very well in the pistols bore and was crazy accurate.( think Mine ball)
    After about 20 years I ran out of the bullets and have never been able to find another like it.
    Today's molds drop a bullet that has much thicker walls ( .357 Mag perhaps?) and they will not open up as the older bullets did at .38 Special wad cutter velocities.
    Does anyone here have a mold for this bullet they want to sell or know a manufacture of "reasonable" price that could make one?
    Thanks for any info.

Banned
    "............Today's molds drop a bullet that has much thicker walls ( .357 Mag perhaps?) and they will not open up as the older bullets did at .38 Special wad cutter velocities."

I'm not sure that statement is accurate. How would you know the skirt didn't expand ?

I believe a soft lead hollow base will expand with minimal pressure.

I've shot them, they provide very poor accuracy and a recovered bullet fired into my bullet trap did not show they obdurate well at all.
    At least at wad cutter pressures.

Erik at Hollow Point Mold Service will alter a WC mold to HB with a custom sized pin
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Buddy
    Try this: https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...al-148gr-hbwc/

2.7 gr. WST. Considered "the load" by bullseye shooters.

They are very similar to the ones I have used in the past. Midway USA aslo sells the Speer wad cutters and I have asked for details on the bullet.
    Thank you for the link.

I'm not sure this is a very good answer to your question, but I use the Speer hbwc in my old top break 38 S&W. You probably know the bore on one of these is over .360. I haven't slugged it but going by how they shoot compared to solid base bullet of .358, behind 2.2 grs Titegroup, they shoot very well.