Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tulu HP

Boolit Buddy

tulu HP

am considering using Tulu HP ammo for hog hunting. I am wondering if it will give enough expansion? I have used a lot of this for plinking but have not tried to shoot game with it. It's cheap and I wouldent have to worry about picking up brass.
    BD

Shoot a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of mud and see what happens. I want to try them on deer and pigs but I haven't had a chance yet. If they do work, my reloading days for that cartridge are probably over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My experience is that they don’t expand much on deer. Hope you have better results this was 7 years ago

Boolit Master
    For hunting with the 7.62x39 , I pull the bullets and replace them with good quality soft point bullets on the Steel Cases.
    That way I don't have to hunt down my brass.
    I found that the steel cases ammo , even with Hollow points did not expand very well.
    I do the same thing with most mil Surp ammo.
    If you use the same weight bullet and you can use the same powder charge.
    I also pull the bullets ,save the powder and reload the steel cases with Lead Boolits and a proper powder charge for that boolit.
    The powder and Boolits that I saved then get loaded in Brass cases for use at the range where it is easier to find the cases
    Last edited by LAGS; 11-14-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Take a magnet to the boolit itself. I found out the tula 7.62x54r ammo is steel core with a copper jacket boolits.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    The Range I go to , won't let you shoot Steel Core ammo.
    They said they had a brush fire start from the Sparks it gave off when it bounced off rocks and stuff.
    That gives me a better reason to buy cheap steel core ammo and pull it down for reloading

Boolit Master
    Usually the cheap Tula, Barnaul, etc, that is hollow point, ( thats a keyword here, HP) is not steel core, its all lead but... They still tend to use copper washed steel jackets. Even with the higher quality stuff with scored lines inside the jacket meant to encourage expansion tend to perform poorly. There are a small handful seem to work. If you are implicating 7.62x39, I think the Uylanovsk 8M3 "effect" ammo was a winner. Ammosmith on YouTube has some steel case HP testing videos on it.

Short of that, I'd probably "mexican match" a solution. Buy some cheap steel case, yank the bullets, average the charge weight of a few, dump & recharge with the same powder and stick a good hunting bullet of the same weight in and go. You can skip the dump & recharge if you dont care but you may get an accuracy improvement if you uniform the charges. Cheap steel isn't known for being terribly uniform in most cases.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replys.
    BD

I’m working on this, you have me curious . 5 gallon stack of wet gun magazines ought to tell us something.

Boolit Master
    Not recommended for game. I would use a designed "Hunting bullet".. Either a lead tip hunting bullet or a ballistic tip (hornady).

Often as not "Hollow points" are really just open tipped cup and core bullets.... The little hollow nose of the jacket is simply an artifact of swaging the bullet into the core from the nose end first.

If you section one - you will find they aren't a proper "Hollow point" like pistol bullets use...

I personally *Really* like the Hornady SST's... Generally very accurate and reliable on game.

Boolit Master
    depending on caliber it might yaw and do decent damage anyway

Boolit Master
    My experience with 7.62x39 HP ammo is that Wolf used copper-washed steel tubing bullets with a lead core and plastic plug in the boat tail portion, which was open, by the way. I never could get that stuff to group decently, but the effect on a row of water-filled milk jugs was dramatic. The first jug was obliterated, the second split wide open, the third split on the front and was perforated with nothing left of the bullet but fragments in the third and fourth jug. Great for varmints, but not much else. The HP "Bears" by Barnaul (Brown Bear polymer coated cases, Silver Bear zinc plated, Golden Bear brass plated) were vastly better in terms of accuracy, 2" at 100 yards out of an SKS I had. No expansion on the one deer I took with it, but that's insufficient data to make a judgment. The Barnaul softpoints didn't show much expansion either.

As other have noted, the better option, if one must have expansion is to put together some "Mexican match" by replacing the bullet with one of known performance. My favorite load is a 150gr JSP designed for the .30-30 Win seated just short enough to fit in the magazine and backed by 26gr of AA 2015. Yes, they're .308 diameter but the jackets are thin, the core is soft and the bullet will obturate to full diameter with a full power load. Accuracy with this load was at or just over minute of angle when I did my part. It still expanded on clay slurry at 100 yards.

Boolit Master

All they do IMHO is satisfy the law against FMJ. They are no better. Use a soft point or better bullet the game deserves better.

Boolit Buddy
    I am planing on using a sks for hog hunting, that is why I asked about the 7.62x39 HP's. A lot of the guys are using 223 on a ar15 platform, but I think that a 22 cal bullet is a little light. I've shot javalina with 223 but they are only about 40 lbs, and that worked well.

Boolit Master
    I just reloaded brass cases with a good bullet. I first started using .308 diameter 125 gr pistole bullets. Thinner jacket.Being to small they still shot good. I thank they where Sierra. Then I started using Sierra 30/30 bullets the 125 or the 150 gr open flat tip hollow point. Huge hollow point. They worked really good and never Jammed. My last dear I got after the first shot the deer went down. He got back up and my gun jammed. They never did this before. Then I grabbed my sons gun that was next to me to finish it. I never used them again for deer but they worked good. I noticed the tip getting bent with loading and unloading a few times. They are soft
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 11-20-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Banned

Get the 154gr soft points. They expand

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Get the 154gr soft points. They expand
    I’ve seen those- and PPU has a round nose 123gr - have you tried those?

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be looking for those PPU rn, I'll also be looking for a ATN thermal scope, have you or anyone you know had any experiance with the ATN scopes?
    BD

Banned
    I have shot hogs and deer with the hp 123 gr tula and the bullets blew up inside both the deer and hogs I mean in fragments these were shot within 75 yards so maybe farther out they will stay together better the bullets did the job but I couldnt even give my hound the heart out of the deer for fragments in it.

I recovered these from a 5 gallon plastic bucket with 16"or so of wet gun magazines in it. I don't know how they would do in a deer, but they shed their jacket and yawed to the side of the bucket with the cores slipping thru but not digging into the backstop. If I do hunt deer with the 7.62x39 I will use either the HornadySST or my home cast Lee C309150F. Pigs and coyotes with the Tula hps? Absolutely. Make your own call. Range was 100 yds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast