Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front driving band jammed into the lands. Ok or not?

Boolit Buddy

Front driving band jammed into the lands. Ok or not?

The rifle is a new to me Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with a Microgroove barrel.

I just cast up a few different bullets to test fit before loading some ammo.

All of them show signs of the front driving band touching the lands.

The pic shows an Accurate mold bullet with a front driving band that is .060".
    It is sized at .359

I also tried the RCBS 358-200-FN and got the same thing, just a bit shorter because the front driving band is thinner.

Would these be safe to shoot?

I'm planning on using 18 - 20gn of Alliant 2400 which should get me around 1700fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.35 Rem touching the Lands.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	251223
    Last edited by CamoWhamo; 11-14-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    safe, I would say yes. people shoot jacketed with the jacket pressed to the rifling, and Ive shoot paper patch where they stay in the rifling if I unchamber them. so I wouldn't think its that weird to start out already in the rifling. especially if it takes little force to chamber them and make those little dents.

Boolit Master

I do it for My .38-55 Lever gun. It definitely helps accuracy.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I do it with cast in .308, .30-06, and .45-70.

I've seen articles, and I think on a article thing in a older Lyman book
    where they tell ya that you more or less have to do it with fat front ended 'bore riders'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have read that seating into the lands can cause pressure spikes. When I was determining max overall length for my 270, I actually pulled a bullet dropping powder all over inside of the action of my rifle. Seating just a little bit deeper eased loading and unloading of the rifle and I didn't notice any change in accuracy between the two lengths.

That much touching is a little much - you might want to seat your boolit so it JUST touches the lands...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Seating on the lands does increase the initial pressure required to get a bullet moving which in turn is affected by rifling angles and bullet hardness. It can certainly affect accuracy but each gun is on its own. Just to confuse the issue if the rifling has basically cut through the first band then this will decrease pressure (like a muzzleloader. The work is done).
    Generally touching or just off the lands gives best accuracy.
    How much pressure do the books say you will get with this load? Is it a soft bullet? How does that compare to the rifles specs? (Marlins are 40,000 from memory).
    Personally I would seat em deeper to just off then no reliability or pressure problems and well I can't shoot straight enough to note a difference on game.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    My experience has been pulled bullets, and high pressure. I recommend loading a dummy round then coloring the bullet with a black sharpie. The sharpie will make seeing the amount In the bullet is the lands easier. Just keep seating your bullet deeper until you a tiny line around the colored bullet, then seat a bit deeper just to be on the safe side.

Boolit Grand Master

Only your rifle/boolit combination will tell you. Safe, yes. Accurate, only experience knows.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Doing that, sooner or later, you will try to unload the chamber and the bullet will stick in the throat and your rifle action will be full of gunpowder and you will say bad words. Seat them to where you can easily cycle loaded rounds through the gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Safe? yes. Accurate? Usually is with the right powder charge. I shoot a lot of lever guns and I would want it seated a little deeper so as not to put undo pressure on the lever. Another 1000th to 2000th deeper should be fine. I like them to touch and not engrave on lever guns. On bolt guns I like them to engrave.
    I also noticed in the pic, it is not crimped. I would seat the driving band down into the mouth and crimp just enough for a tight grip on the bottom of the driving band. You do not have to crimp into the crimp groove. After looking at your pic real close you might want to try seating so the lowest engraving mark is right at the case mouth. It should close without resistance.

Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    I also noticed in the pic, it is not crimped. I would seat the driving band down into the mouth and crimp just enough for a tight grip on the bottom of the driving band. You do not have to crimp into the crimp groove. After looking at your pic real close you might want to try seating so the lowest engraving mark is right at the case mouth. It should close without resistance.

Tony
    Correct, the case in the pic is not crimped. It's just a dummy round with old brass being used to check the bullet fit.

I made up another one with bullet seated deeper and crimped on the front driving band using the Lee Factory Crimp. It looks good and seems strong enough. I'll make a few rounds and watch closely for any signs of the bullets getting seated deeper under recoil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36-215S Seated Deeper.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	251263

Banned
    I read somewhere that you get the best accuracy when the boolit is .009 - .011 off the lans, haven't tried it yet

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I read somewhere that you get the best accuracy when the boolit is .009 - .011 off the lans, haven't tried it yet
    I have. Not found that to be the case. Best accuracy with cast bullets in rifles has been with the drive band seated firmly into the lands..... just as in the OP's picture.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Doing that, sooner or later, you will try to unload the chamber and the bullet will stick in the throat and your rifle action will be full of gunpowder and you will say bad words. Seat them to where you can easily cycle loaded rounds through the gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I've done this. Sure enough, I said some bad words.
    WWG1WGA

Safe? At normal cast-limited pressures, probably just fine.
    Accurate ? Most likely as good or better as any other seating w/ that load combination.
    Troublesome ? Could pull the bullet/spill the powder upon unloading -- most likely not, however, at the engagement first shown.

FWIW: Moderate simultaneous Roll-crimp into the driving band works just fine w/ the seating die. No shoulder bulge if you don't orangutan it. All you need is enough 'dig-in' to anchor the bullet from being pushed further in.

PPS: How hard is your alloy w/ that microgroove? Contrary to conventional wisdom of softer-is-better w/ deep Ballard rifling, somewhat harder is needed to hang onto the microgrooves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Safe? At normal cast-limited pressures, probably just fine.
    Accurate ? Most likely as good or better as any other seating w/ that load combination.
    Troublesome ? Could pull the bullet/spill the powder upon unloading -- most likely not, however, at the engagement first shown.

FWIW: Moderate simultaneous Roll-crimp into the driving band works just fine w/ the seating die. No shoulder bulge if you don't orangutan it. All you need is enough 'dig-in' to anchor the bullet from being pushed further in.

PPS: How hard is your alloy w/ that microgroove? Contrary to conventional wisdom of softer-is-better w/ deep Ballard rifling, somewhat harder is needed to hang onto the microgrooves.
    This is very good advice, it is what I do with my Marlins.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Cammo, That looks much better. You can afford a touch more OAL to where the driving band kisses the rifling if you want to. If those are used for hunting and group well then I would leave it like it is. Like Larry said, all things equal, engraved produces the best accuracy most of the time. Leverguns don't have the mechanical advantage that a bolt does.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I have. Not found that to be the case. Best accuracy with cast bullets in rifles has been with the drive band seated firmly into the lands..... just as in the OP's picture.
    Larry's correct about this even if you'll get a CB stuck there on occasion (as per TX by God), spill powder, say bad words, etc. (Don't ask....!) However, whether your particular rifle, CB, load is more (or less) accurate with the driving band (or nose if it's a bore rider) stuck into the lands, is easy enough to test.

Boolit Master
    Plus 1 to what Maven and Larry Gibson posted.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast