Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front driving band jammed into the lands. Ok or not?

Boolit Master
    Accuracy should be good, probably better than off the lands when using boolits. Pressure should be OK with indicated load. Biggest concern is extracting live round and leaving bullet stuck in chamber, dumping powder inside action and rendering rifle out of action until bullet removed. It is unlikely that another round would chamber with a bullet stuck in throat but I suppose a real hammer mechanic could manage to load another round so two bullets were in front of the case. THAT would cause serious, maybe catastrophic problems if fired. Snugly into rifling GOOD, stuck in rifling on extraction, not so much. Breech seating in single shots is a whole other discussion.

I'm using the Lee 358-200 in my Marlin 35 rem and can just feel it touching as i close the lever . It's cast from coww and using IMR 3031 powder sized 358 . Shot a nine shot group at 100 yards that was just about 2 inches .

Boolit Master
    whether a boolit would get stuck should be testable. if your normally gonna crimp a little test a few with no crimp. or if you don't crimp maybe polish a bit and oil the inside of a neck and see if it pulls in worst case scenario then you could have peace of mind in normal scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Accuracy should be good, probably better than off the lands when using boolits. Pressure should be OK with indicated load. Biggest concern is extracting live round and leaving bullet stuck in chamber, dumping powder inside action and rendering rifle out of action until bullet removed. It is unlikely that another round would chamber with a bullet stuck in throat but I suppose a real hammer mechanic could manage to load another round so two bullets were in front of the case. THAT would cause serious, maybe catastrophic problems if fired. Snugly into rifling GOOD, stuck in rifling on extraction, not so much. Breech seating in single shots is a whole other discussion.
    I've had this happen where I had a boolit stuck in the barrel and I just used a cleaning rod to push it out - you could use a coat hanger or a stick - they're generally not stuck that bad. No big deal. With the action, I dumped as much powder as I could out and then I just shot the gun - stick powder will just break up and if it catches on fire it isn't a big deal because it isn't contained in a cartridge...
    WWG1WGA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I have. Not found that to be the case. Best accuracy with cast bullets in rifles has been with the drive band seated firmly into the lands..... just as in the OP's picture.
    So it's supposed to be hard to get the gun into battery? on my 32 WS I have to grip the lever with both hands to get it into battery.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CamoWhamo View Post
    Correct, the case in the pic is not crimped. It's just a dummy round with old brass being used to check the bullet fit.

I made up another one with bullet seated deeper and crimped on the front driving band using the Lee Factory Crimp. It looks good and seems strong enough. I'll make a few rounds and watch closely for any signs of the bullets getting seated deeper under recoil.

Attachment 251263
    That looks better than the rifling engraving as much as you started with, I think I would seat out enough to just show engraving on very front of the drive band also and test both ways for accuracy. You have to have a combination of both accuracy and function, nothing worse than de bulleting in the field.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    So it's supposed to be hard to get the gun into battery? on my 32 WS I have to grip the lever with both hands to get it into battery.
    Guess your definition of "firmly" is a bit different than mine. On both my M94 Winchester 30-30s finger pressure while gripping the stock is sufficient, easily done and all the "firmness" needed. when operating the action fast for a follow up shot the cartridge is slammed home with normally cycling of the lever/breach bolt.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    CamoWhamo, if you post that picture and question over on the ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Association) forum, you will be likely to receive encouragement to shoot it like that. The hot shoe shooters in the single shot game frequently seat their bullets all the way into the lands and grooves, up to .125” or even more ahead of the case mouth. If that round will feed without problems and you don’t see excess pressure signs (with normal posted loading data you shouldn’t) you should get gilt edge accuracy out of it, and if the loaded round can be ejected without pulling out, you’ve hit the jackpot!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Yes, shoot it. Best accuracy is normally when the bullet is engaged as others have posted. When shooting targets it is a normal practice and it is my preferred method.

BUT, if it is a hunting gun that you may have to unload in the field then I would seat them deeper to make sure the bullet comes out of the rifle when cycling the action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12