MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK if patches are a little big?

OK if patches are a little big?

I prefer to use precut and lubed patches. Have to look, but if I can't locally source patches meant for a 30-39 cal ball, can I get away with the next size up (40-49 cal)?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Only your rifle, ball, patch and load can really answer that. Shoot them....see what happens?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah. I might just order some appropriate patches online.

Get some scissors or a knife and cut the excess material off at the muzzle after you start the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Get some scissors or a knife and cut the excess material off at the muzzle after you start the ball.
    I'm not a BP guy, but I've seen that done a few times by guys with a large greasy piece of cloth.
    I didn't know they even had pre-made patches.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

as always, allow the gun to report what it likes to be fed. testing is always a requirement. have at it!

i'd rather use pre-lubed patch strips, and cut the patching at the muzzle, for a perfect fit to the ball and rifling.

better yet, particularly for match events, i'd rather employ a ball board, where it's fast one step loading of already patched balls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02606.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	251227

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40bb.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	251228

I don't see what it would hurt using an oversized patch , long as your rod tip is small enough dia. not to be a tight fit with the extra material above the ball when you ram it home . The edges/corners of the square cut patches I use are above the dia of the ball can't tell the difference between that and a "proper" sized round patch . Give it a try I'm betting there's no decernable difference in accuracy .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

patch size OR shape won't matter for the most part. all that matters is the right cloth material and thickness, the lube, the ball diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

I do all the time. Way over sized might effect it a little. I cant see anything noticeable in the difference. As long as they aren't too small.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I bet too small patch causes way more strife than too big - however way too big (patch material right over the front of the ball) has caused me grief one time

Boolit Buddy
    If you like pre cut, it works pretty well to cut squares of a uniform appropriate size. Gives you control over your patch size and quality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I bet too small patch causes way more strife than too big - however way too big (patch material right over the front of the ball) has caused me grief one time
    i agree on both accounts, joe - a good reason to cut at the muzzle or ball board.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i agree on both accounts, joe - a good reason to cut at the muzzle or ball board.
    ya know ....I always cut one on the muzzle to get the size -- I never thought to cut a patch on the ball board!!! thats a way better way of establishing the correct size to pre cut patches - just to darn simple I guess

thanks for the tip

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    ya know ....I always cut one on the muzzle to get the size -- I never thought to cut a patch on the ball board!!! thats a way better way of establishing the correct size to pre cut patches - just to darn simple I guess

thanks for the tip
    That's what I do too. It works fine. It's nice to have the bard firmly held while doing it so as to keep all your fingers. The other thing I like to do is to use a board thicker than ball size. That way everything is inside the board and not subject to rubbing or getting (as) dirty. My boards are for three to five balls and only for hunting. They easily fit into the shooting bag and don't add much weight. When it comes to plinking or match shooting I cut at the muzzle.

So many ways to do these things!

Banned

if allowed, i always use a ball board during matches - this just allows more time for aiming and is pretty much mandatory for timed events.

Do you guys make or buy your ball boards?

Banned

far too easy to make ...

.36 caliber patched ball--------------------> 3/8 inch drill bit
    .40 caliber patched ball -------------------> 13/32 inch drill bit
    .45 caliber patched ball--------------------> 15/32 inch drill bit
    .50 caliber patched ball--------------------> 1/2 inch drill bit
    .54 caliber patched ball--------------------> 35/64, 17/32 inch drill bit
    .58 caliber patched ball--------------------> 19/32 inch drill bit
    .62 caliber patched ball--------------------> 5/8 inch drill bit

How about 32? That is the one I had in mind.

Boolit Master
    Here are the various patches I have tried:
    - round pillow ticking for 45 and 50 caliber round balls; they are 0.015 thick, worked okay with 0.90 round balls, not with 0.44 round balls
    - square pillow ticking for 45 and 50 caliber round balls; exactly the same as above, no difference in the shape.
    - OxYoke pre lubed patches I got as part of my purchase of my Pedersoli Gibbs? Two sizes 40-45 and 60-70 and two thicknesses 0.005 and 0.010. I never tried any of them in my 50 caliber rifles as I win matches with 0.90 balls and 0.015 pillow ticking all square cut. No reason to change now.
    - I tried the 0.005 prelubed patches in my new 45 caliber pistol, they were too loose, tried the 0.015 pillow ticking, too tight and the 0.010 pre lubed patches seem to fit just right! Wednesday to the 50 yard target I got 5 shots within 3 inches with the pistol resting on a set of cross sticks. I did add a tad bit of Bore Butter to each patch and tried cutting off a tad bit of excess material with my antique straight razor but that seems to make no difference.

I stopped at Supper Walmart on the way home and they still have pillow ticking and I measured it at 0.018 before washing it. I did buy a few yards of linen that was 0.012 before washing and after washing last night it now measures 0.010 inches so we'll see how it works. I'll try to remember to let everyone know as A builder of one of my more accurate 50 caliber off hand rifles swears by linen and sent me a sample AND the antique razor!

As was noted earlier, shoot each and every type you can think of OFF A REST to see what works best for your gun.
    John
    Last edited by oldracer; 11-16-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Exact patch size isn't too important in actuality. There can be lots of overlap. For instance; .32, 36 or .32, .36 and .40 can often use the same patch size. Then there's .40, .45 and even .50 can use the same size. As long as your seating rod doesn't get trapped by the patch inside the rifle bore then it's usually okay.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast