MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I use to flair rifle cases for cast?

If you already have a 38/357 die set you can use the belling die if you can adjust it up high enough
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use my Toolman needle nose to stick in a case mouth and give it a twist.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    What RU Shooter said...I had a spare set of .357 dies, set the expander to do my 35-338 brass
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master

I agree the Lyman M-DIE is THE CAST BULLET shooters best friend!!

Proper and consistent neck tension is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your reload.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Both the Lee universal and a caliber specific M die are nice to have around. I keep the Lee die around for stuff I don't load much of or if I want to try something new but once I get into casting for a caliber the M die is nice to have so it can be set up and left for the right amount of flair. I've used the Lee die on the progressive press to get a little flair on a case mouth to help set flat base bullets when using a bullet feeder as well.

Lyman M dies works for me.

Boolit Master

I too used a pair of needle-nose pliers (press in and turn) and a self-centering Starret punch (used the tapered portion bumped into the case mouth).

I learned quickly that the Lee Universal expander die was the way to go. I know there are others on the market, but the Lee has done everything I have needed.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    Can't go wrong with the Lee Universal expanding die along with NOE Expanders.

I used a tapered punch also before I bought the Lee flair die.

Boolit Master

I have used a .50 BMG bullet to good effect. The core of an armor piercing BMG bullet is also a good prick punch.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve always used Lyman M dies when needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I agree the Lyman M-DIE is THE CAST BULLET shooters best friend!!

Proper and consistent neck tension is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your reload.

CW
    +1 for Lyman M Dies.

Boolit Master
    Use a 223 case
    Maybe a steel one if you like, but a brass one should work for 35 cal.A 243 or 6mm case will work too. A round center punch.

Banned
    I also use the Lee universal expander with the NOE expander plugs. You can tailor the case necks to get just the right tension without downsizing the boolit.

The Lee Universal Expander opens the mouth to a funnel shape. You need to adjust carefully so as not to over expand. If you over do it the case mouth gets to big to fit up into the seating die and can crumple the case mouth.
    The Lyman M dies has a long expander section that has a step in it. The smaller diameter should be about .001 smaller than the bullet, After the step it should be about .001 over bullet diameter.
    When you expand with the M die You adjust the expander to enter the case far enough so the step enters the case mouth about 1/32 in. This lets you set the base of the bullet down into the case.
    The 1/32 in of the neck is larger than the bullet so it can't shave lead off the bullet.
    You don't really need to use a crimp die to remove this .001 expanded area unless you want to or need to.
    The NOE expander plugs are set up like the Lyman M expander but fit in the Lee Universal expander die.
    You can use one body then have expanders to fit all your cartridges.
    I have the Lee UE die with NOE plugs. The NOE plugs aren't expensive so having a selection of sizes for caliber gives you options.
    Like If you have several 30 cals but they need different dia. cast.
    I also like the M style expanders for doing jacketed bullets too. The step help start the bullets straighter.
    I also like the Lee collet Factory Crimp dies. You can get a good heavy crimp with out risking crushed cases.
    The 44 Mag lee dies I have came with the carbide FCD. I found it ok for jacketed bullets. In my Marlin 1894 44 Mag cast bullets need to be .432-.433 for best accuracy. The carbide FCD has the carbide ring that sizes the case after the bullet is seated. This squeezes the case enough to size the cast bullet down to small the shoot well.
    I bought the Collect crimp die for the 44 and it don't squeeze the cast bullets down.
    I like the Collet FCD's because if I don't seat a bullet to the crimp groove it has enough power to crimp into even a jacketed bullet where there is no crimp groove.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Lee expander is a good tool ,cheap enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo 5959 View Post
    The NOE expander plug in the Lee universal die is the ticket for me.

I have to agree with Pablo. Order the LEE Universal Expander and go with NOE's expanders later if the need arises. But that's just my 2¢ worth.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    To flare is one thing,to expand is another. Everything else being the same,expanding necks can make or break a load.

Lyman M-die is a solid & simple solution as long as it's large enough for your particular bullet. A large,soft bullet likes more expansion than a smaller dia hard cast.

It's possible to flare too much,sometimes a seater die size/plug shape start seating crooked and you get shaving even with a well visible "trumpet" flare. With M die you can easily adjust flare just right,expansion staying the same. Otherwise excellent Hornady seaters can be tight and the sleeve interferes with the flare. Ease up on the M flare part just a tad.

NOE plugs (with Lee die) work the same plus you have many size options. Buy a few adjacent sizes. Practical when testing different bullet diameters.

Amongst other mistakes,I overlooked proper expansion when I started out. Proper neck tension without swaging or shaving the bullet just makes life so good

Boolit Master
    I used a center punch out of my tool box for quite awhile, the taper on the shank flared the case just right. And I didn't have to spend any money!

Haven't used the NOE tools, I have used Lyman's M dies, I got started using RCBS expander dies, seem you can buy any size I've looked for, pretty reasonable, have a nice variety.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast