WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2ADvertise here

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A Fantastic Little Toaster Oven for Powder Coating Boolits

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330

    A Fantastic Little Toaster Oven for Powder Coating Boolits

    This past weekend, Target had a sale on Hamilton Beach 6 slice toaster ovens. Regularly 130 bucks, on sale for 80. I went ahead and picked one up, and I cannot imagine an oven that is more suited to powder coating boolits. It's really a sweet deal. It comes with a perfectly sized "air fryer" mesh basket that'll hold 20 pounds (nearly 1,100 rounds) of my 9mm boolits. It comes with a non-stick "catch pan" that is really nice, too... You just set the mesh basket on the catch pan, dump your boolits out of the container that you used to coat 'em, then just shake the mesh basket a bit over the catch pan, pop 'em in the oven, and you're set.

    It appears to be PID controlled, too, as the indicated temperature was always within 5 degrees of my IR thermometer I used to verify the oven's temp.

    So if you're in the market for a toaster oven for boolit PC'ing, I can't recommend it highly enough. Here's a link to the actual product, and it looks like it's still on sale for 80 bucks. https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-be...n/-/A-54639402 That's not any sort of an "associate" link or anything.... I don't get any sort of kick-back, I just wanted to share a product that I think is probably the very best toaster oven you can get for the price to powder coat our beloved boolits. The web page shows that the normal price for the oven is 100 bucks, but the tag on the shelf at my local Target said that the normal price is $130.

    It does have "convection" ability... there's a fan that circulates the air around, as long as you have the "air fry" button pushed in.

    I've run about 30 pounds of 9mm 125gr boolits through it, and it does a great job. The wire mesh basket doesn't stick to the boolits very hard, and it doesn't really leave bad marks behind on the boolits, either.

    The old Black & Decker oven I'd been using (that I got at a local second-hand store) is going in the trash. I'd take it back to a second hand store, except that since it's been used to bake literally tons of lead, I think it should probably go in the trash, instead.

    Ah well, enough of my ramblings... there's shooting to be done today!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  2. #2
    Boolit Buddy


    thegatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York State of Confusion
    Posts
    301
    Nice find

  3. #3
    AKA: GRMPS Conditor22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,368
    It helps to have good tools

    I'd still check the temperature setting against a thermometer to be on the safe side.

  4. #4
    Boolit Buddy
    RedlegEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    200
    Hi. Thanks for the tip. I just went down and got mine. Ed
    ______________________________________________
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is totally optional!

  5. #5
    Boolit Grand Master RogerDat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Michigan Lansing Area
    Posts
    5,111
    If I didn't already have a large one and a small one that cost about $15 between them... I would brave the wrath of dear wife if I got a new toaster oven to cook bullets while she makes do with the old one. Just a small tip. Use it before she sees it, spill some PC on the inside. You might get to keep that puppy. Sort of like denting pewter in the parking lot if it is a heavy but attractive item so it doesn't find a place on a shelf in the house instead of in the casting pot.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

  6. #6
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    It helps to have good tools

    I'd still check the temperature setting against a thermometer to be on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    It appears to be PID controlled, too, as the indicated temperature was always within 5 degrees of my IR thermometer I used to verify the oven's temp.
    S'ok. My wife never listens to me, either.

    Edit: In case anyone needs to use an IR thermometer to verify their oven temp... I threw a charcoal briquet in the oven, and aimed my IR thermometer at it. IR thermometers don't like to give an accurate reading off of a reflective surface, and black is really the best color for them to read from. Once your oven reaches temp, give it a few minutes to heat soak the briquet, then open the door, hit the charcoal briquet with the IR thermometer, and you're done. Any black surface can be used for this, I just happened to have a charcoal briquet handy in the garage when it was time to verify the oven's temp.
    Last edited by Phlier; 11-14-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  7. #7
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the tip. I just went down and got mine. Ed
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  8. #8
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    If I didn't already have a large one and a small one that cost about $15 between them... I would brave the wrath of dear wife if I got a new toaster oven to cook bullets while she makes do with the old one. Just a small tip. Use it before she sees it, spill some PC on the inside. You might get to keep that puppy. Sort of like denting pewter in the parking lot if it is a heavy but attractive item so it doesn't find a place on a shelf in the house instead of in the casting pot.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that does that. There are a few pewter figurines that adorn the house that, by all rights, should have found their way into my pot a long time ago. When I bring back pewter figurines from the local metal scrapyard, I make sure they look nothing like house decor before they're brought in the house.

    She was a good sport about the oven, but now she wants her own for the kitchen.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  9. #9
    Boolit Buddy
    RedlegEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    She was a good sport about the oven, but now she wants her own for the kitchen.
    Hi Phlier,
    Seems the sensible thing would be to make your bride happy and keep peace in the household so buy her one. So far, I'm really liking mine. Getting ready to try some Hi-Tek and this should be doing a great job.
    Ed
    ______________________________________________
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is totally optional!

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi Phlier,
    Seems the sensible thing would be to make your bride happy and keep peace in the household so buy her one. So far, I'm really liking mine. Getting ready to try some Hi-Tek and this should be doing a great job.
    Ed
    Yup, I'll be getting one for her for sure. She keeps coming out to the garage when I'm powder coating and making little remarks about "that cool little oven."

    I'm 99% sure this oven is PID controlled. It does show the actual and set temperatures on a rotating basis on the display, and checking the displayed temp vs actual with an IR thermometer shows it to be *very* close. The temperature range that it maintains is also very narrow. You set 400F, and you *get* 400F, plus or minus five degrees throughout the cycle.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  11. #11
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    This past weekend, Target had a sale on Hamilton Beach 6 slice toaster ovens. Regularly 130 bucks, on sale for 80. I went ahead and picked one up, and I cannot imagine an oven that is more suited to powder coating boolits. It's really a sweet deal. It comes with a perfectly sized "air fryer" mesh basket that'll hold 20 pounds (nearly 1,100 rounds) of my 9mm boolits. It comes with a non-stick "catch pan" that is really nice, too... You just set the mesh basket on the catch pan, dump your boolits out of the container that you used to coat 'em, then just shake the mesh basket a bit over the catch pan, pop 'em in the oven, and you're set.

    It appears to be PID controlled, too, as the indicated temperature was always within 5 degrees of my IR thermometer I used to verify the oven's temp.

    So if you're in the market for a toaster oven for boolit PC'ing, I can't recommend it highly enough. Here's a link to the actual product, and it looks like it's still on sale for 80 bucks. https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-be...n/-/A-54639402 That's not any sort of an "associate" link or anything.... I don't get any sort of kick-back, I just wanted to share a product that I think is probably the very best toaster oven you can get for the price to powder coat our beloved boolits. The web page shows that the normal price for the oven is 100 bucks, but the tag on the shelf at my local Target said that the normal price is $130.

    It does have "convection" ability... there's a fan that circulates the air around, as long as you have the "air fry" button pushed in.

    I've run about 30 pounds of 9mm 125gr boolits through it, and it does a great job. The wire mesh basket doesn't stick to the boolits very hard, and it doesn't really leave bad marks behind on the boolits, either.

    The old Black & Decker oven I'd been using (that I got at a local second-hand store) is going in the trash. I'd take it back to a second hand store, except that since it's been used to bake literally tons of lead, I think it should probably go in the trash, instead.

    Ah well, enough of my ramblings... there's shooting to be done today!
    thanks for the info; I'm going to check this one out too.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Communism closing in!
    Posts
    3,059
    Great find!

    I am running cheap! A free hand me down for now but it is nice to know that if my freebie dies some day there are real nice models to buy!

    My wife is very protective of her counter space or I would have to buy two ovens, one for her and the other for boolits.

    Three44s
    Quit fretting about climate change. Itís how much stronger gravity is getting every day that is bothering me!

  13. #13
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330
    I see they're back up to a hundred bucks as of today. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

    My old Black & Decker toaster oven didn't have a convection feature on it. The new one does. I've successfully knocked 5 minutes off of the cook time with the new oven (I'm assuming that it's thanks to the convection feature), and the boolits are still passing the sledge hammer test.

    I'd still buy this oven even at a hundred bucks.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

  14. #14
    Boolit Buddy Phlier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    330
    OK, so bumping this, as it's currently on sale (last day today), for even cheaper than it was before. It's now 70 bucks!!! Get one quick!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check