Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox

Thread: A Fantastic Little Toaster Oven for Powder Coating Boolits

A Fantastic Little Toaster Oven for Powder Coating Boolits

This past weekend, Target had a sale on Hamilton Beach 6 slice toaster ovens. Regularly 130 bucks, on sale for 80. I went ahead and picked one up, and I cannot imagine an oven that is more suited to powder coating boolits. It's really a sweet deal. It comes with a perfectly sized "air fryer" mesh basket that'll hold 20 pounds (nearly 1,100 rounds) of my 9mm boolits. It comes with a non-stick "catch pan" that is really nice, too... You just set the mesh basket on the catch pan, dump your boolits out of the container that you used to coat 'em, then just shake the mesh basket a bit over the catch pan, pop 'em in the oven, and you're set.

It appears to be PID controlled, too, as the indicated temperature was always within 5 degrees of my IR thermometer I used to verify the oven's temp.

So if you're in the market for a toaster oven for boolit PC'ing, I can't recommend it highly enough. Here's a link to the actual product, and it looks like it's still on sale for 80 bucks. https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-be...n/-/A-54639402 That's not any sort of an "associate" link or anything.... I don't get any sort of kick-back, I just wanted to share a product that I think is probably the very best toaster oven you can get for the price to powder coat our beloved boolits. The web page shows that the normal price for the oven is 100 bucks, but the tag on the shelf at my local Target said that the normal price is $130.

It does have "convection" ability... there's a fan that circulates the air around, as long as you have the "air fry" button pushed in.

I've run about 30 pounds of 9mm 125gr boolits through it, and it does a great job. The wire mesh basket doesn't stick to the boolits very hard, and it doesn't really leave bad marks behind on the boolits, either.

The old Black & Decker oven I'd been using (that I got at a local second-hand store) is going in the trash. I'd take it back to a second hand store, except that since it's been used to bake literally tons of lead, I think it should probably go in the trash, instead.

Ah well, enough of my ramblings... there's shooting to be done today!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Buddy

Nice find

Banned
    It helps to have good tools

I'd still check the temperature setting against a thermometer to be on the safe side.

Boolit Master

Hi. Thanks for the tip. I just went down and got mine. Ed

If I didn't already have a large one and a small one that cost about $15 between them... I would brave the wrath of dear wife if I got a new toaster oven to cook bullets while she makes do with the old one. Just a small tip. Use it before she sees it, spill some PC on the inside. You might get to keep that puppy. Sort of like denting pewter in the parking lot if it is a heavy but attractive item so it doesn't find a place on a shelf in the house instead of in the casting pot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    It helps to have good tools

I'd still check the temperature setting against a thermometer to be on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlier View Post
    It appears to be PID controlled, too, as the indicated temperature was always within 5 degrees of my IR thermometer I used to verify the oven's temp.
    S'ok. My wife never listens to me, either.

Edit: In case anyone needs to use an IR thermometer to verify their oven temp... I threw a charcoal briquet in the oven, and aimed my IR thermometer at it. IR thermometers don't like to give an accurate reading off of a reflective surface, and black is really the best color for them to read from. Once your oven reaches temp, give it a few minutes to heat soak the briquet, then open the door, hit the charcoal briquet with the IR thermometer, and you're done. Any black surface can be used for this, I just happened to have a charcoal briquet handy in the garage when it was time to verify the oven's temp.
    Last edited by Phlier; 11-14-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the tip. I just went down and got mine. Ed
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    If I didn't already have a large one and a small one that cost about $15 between them... I would brave the wrath of dear wife if I got a new toaster oven to cook bullets while she makes do with the old one. Just a small tip. Use it before she sees it, spill some PC on the inside. You might get to keep that puppy. Sort of like denting pewter in the parking lot if it is a heavy but attractive item so it doesn't find a place on a shelf in the house instead of in the casting pot.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that does that. There are a few pewter figurines that adorn the house that, by all rights, should have found their way into my pot a long time ago. When I bring back pewter figurines from the local metal scrapyard, I make sure they look nothing like house decor before they're brought in the house.

She was a good sport about the oven, but now she wants her own for the kitchen.

Boolit Master

She was a good sport about the oven, but now she wants her own for the kitchen.
    Hi Phlier,
    Seems the sensible thing would be to make your bride happy and keep peace in the household so buy her one. So far, I'm really liking mine. Getting ready to try some Hi-Tek and this should be doing a great job.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi Phlier,
    Seems the sensible thing would be to make your bride happy and keep peace in the household so buy her one. So far, I'm really liking mine. Getting ready to try some Hi-Tek and this should be doing a great job.
    Ed
    Yup, I'll be getting one for her for sure. She keeps coming out to the garage when I'm powder coating and making little remarks about "that cool little oven."

I'm 99% sure this oven is PID controlled. It does show the actual and set temperatures on a rotating basis on the display, and checking the displayed temp vs actual with an IR thermometer shows it to be *very* close. The temperature range that it maintains is also very narrow. You set 400F, and you *get* 400F, plus or minus five degrees throughout the cycle.

Boolit Bub
    This past weekend, Target had a sale on Hamilton Beach 6 slice toaster ovens. Regularly 130 bucks, on sale for 80. I went ahead and picked one up, and I cannot imagine an oven that is more suited to powder coating boolits. It's really a sweet deal. It comes with a perfectly sized "air fryer" mesh basket that'll hold 20 pounds (nearly 1,100 rounds) of my 9mm boolits. It comes with a non-stick "catch pan" that is really nice, too... You just set the mesh basket on the catch pan, dump your boolits out of the container that you used to coat 'em, then just shake the mesh basket a bit over the catch pan, pop 'em in the oven, and you're set.

So if you're in the market for a toaster oven for boolit PC'ing, I can't recommend it highly enough. Here's a link to the actual product, and it looks like it's still on sale for 80 bucks. https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-be...n/-/A-54639402 That's not any sort of an "associate" link or anything.... I don't get any sort of kick-back, I just wanted to share a product that I think is probably the very best toaster oven you can get for the price to powder coat our beloved boolits. The web page shows that the normal price for the oven is 100 bucks, but the tag on the shelf at my local Target said that the normal price is $130.

It does have "convection" ability... there's a fan that circulates the air around, as long as you have the "air fry" button pushed in.

I've run about 30 pounds of 9mm 125gr boolits through it, and it does a great job. The wire mesh basket doesn't stick to the boolits very hard, and it doesn't really leave bad marks behind on the boolits, either.

The old Black & Decker oven I'd been using (that I got at a local second-hand store) is going in the trash. I'd take it back to a second hand store, except that since it's been used to bake literally tons of lead, I think it should probably go in the trash, instead.

Ah well, enough of my ramblings... there's shooting to be done today!
    thanks for the info; I'm going to check this one out too.

Boolit Master
    Great find!

I am running cheap! A free hand me down for now but it is nice to know that if my freebie dies some day there are real nice models to buy!

My wife is very protective of her counter space or I would have to buy two ovens, one for her and the other for boolits.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I see they're back up to a hundred bucks as of today. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

My old Black & Decker toaster oven didn't have a convection feature on it. The new one does. I've successfully knocked 5 minutes off of the cook time with the new oven (I'm assuming that it's thanks to the convection feature), and the boolits are still passing the sledge hammer test.

I'd still buy this oven even at a hundred bucks.

OK, so bumping this, as it's currently on sale (last day today), for even cheaper than it was before. It's now 70 bucks!!! Get one quick!