Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEI Molds

Well machined, rounded alignment pins instead of dowel pins, castle type nuts and threaded posts with radiused ends instead of a cap screw, the sprue plate looks die cut and then (well) finished. Looks like one of Walts molds to me Petander.

If I compared on my NEI's mold... Petander's mold looks much better I could guess that is made by Walt. All my NEI's mold looks similar what was posted.

My brother (Buddy) and I went to see Walt once in El Paso. He was a nice enough guy who was having trouble with Austin about taxes. He was a great engineer but a lousy business man and he took advice from other lousy business men. He was a perfectionist which isn't a bad thing. He did sell the company, then bought it back and moved to Oregon, where he had just as much trouble up there from what I have been told. His kids had less business sense than he did.

Like I said in the original post, my brother designed a lot of different bullets for people who then had NEI make them. I feel sorry for Walt as he was a good guy with a good idea, but very little business sense.

I have molds from NEI for every bullet my brother ever designed, some place.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Great history lesson,thank you ACC.

My plan came together real good : I just got this Rossi 92 , it is a warranty return with a chamber problem. The guys at my regular shop gave it to me for a song. It had all the other typical Rossi roughness as well.

I started working on it,got it to feed and shoot and eject everything 357/38 BUT I get leading no matter what. The barrel must be rough...? Larger,smaller,harder,softer,my Hi Tek coating holds with 500 S&W ,I don't know what's up with the Rossi.

I had no 357 GC mold so I decided to try one, then saw this NEI on Evilbay,it came with RCBS handles and some checks from a nice gentleman in South Dakota.

I just fired about six dozen VV N110 full house rounds, four dry VFG patches and CLEAN!

Still using a Walt mold, a #388-198 PB used in a 9.5x52.
    Getting a muzzleloader barrel made to use it as a maxi, Ideal #386178 as a minie and patched round ball.

When Walt's daughter (was it Patty?) and son in law took over the business they were just out of their league. They gave it a rum go and did do some decent work for me, including modifying blocks with larger cherries. The last I got was this (ignore the red arrow)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.41 pointy nose.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	252008
    that I got specifically to have mods subsequently done to create the hunting wadcutter.

Boolit Master
    That looks like The Ultimate Hunting Wadcutter to me.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Now there you go,that's the name of the magic material indeed.

I'm at 1000 bullets,four short break-in sessions.

I've been buying NOE and Mihec lately , no comparision for ease of use and bullet quality. Need to tap many times to drop the bullets. Hard to open with the bullets in,too.

Try some graphite from a spray can. Make sure the carrier is evaporative; it should be so if it is designated for use on locks.

Makes a great mold release.

Old thread, but question for the experts here. I have a NEI mold with no logo. The numbers reflect a NEI mold though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEI_540-490(steel).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	321770
    Last edited by Hondolane; 01-06-2024 at 09:37 AM.

Can anyone tell me about the mold above...

Vendor Sponsor

It is for a 54 caliber percussion Sharp's rifle. ---I think. I have not owned one. I stick with BPCR rifles.

I believe the rebated tail is for making the paper cartridges. Christmas tree bullet.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    It is for a 54 caliber percussion Sharp's rifle. ---I think. I have not owned one. I stick with BPCR rifles.

I believe the rebated tail is for making the paper cartridges. Christmas tree bullet.

Thanks, I have a good number of them, but I'm trying to find out if this is indeed a NEI mold. It has the numbers that NEI used and looks like a NEI, but it doesn't have the NEI logo. Does anyone know if this is a NEI mold.

The finish machining looks all wrong to be an NEI, and the sprue plate attachment is all wrong. The numbering system is similar, but a lot of small production makers simply mark the blocks with the nominal bullet diameter and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 20:1 View Post
    The finish machining looks all wrong to be an NEI, and the sprue plate attachment is all wrong. The numbering system is similar, but a lot of small production makers simply mark the blocks with the nominal bullet diameter and weight.
    Thanks, I was leaning towards it not being NEI. Just wanted confirmation. If I sell it, I'd like to be up front with the buyer.

Boolit Buddy
    Sure looks a lot like some of the NEI molds I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17045966679552465048752933731501.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12