Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cast Bullets And Buffalo

Cast Bullets And Buffalo

I have shot lots of critters with these old guns and very few animals will stop a big bore cast bullet. The bull shot with the 1886 had the bullet completely pass through and kill a cow standing behind him. The bull with the Sharps didn't even slow down 3-500 grain bullets. The third buffalo was shot with an original Sharps in 40-90 bottleneck...

Boolit Master
    I would like to hear what cartridge and the load details for that 86 Win
    Tx
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    Was Dall Sheep hunting, three Rams stood up and ran. Stopping several times. They finally spaced out, walking single file. When the last Ram crested a slight rise and was clear, I fired. Rifle was a Sharps Borschardt Sporting Rifle in 45 2 7/8”. Bullet was a 550 grain paper patch, with a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS plus. This shot was not the one I wanted, it struck the Ram about 3” below his anus, transmitted the entire body and exited lthe center of it’s chest. Ram tipped over sideways and never moved. Distance was 300 yards. Big heavy bullets are exceptional when it comes to penetration, even when the are really slowed down.
    Rick

Boolit Master

A two-fer on buffalo is pretty good!

I did it once on antelope when my 30 Herrett bullet came apart in the first buck and a piece took off in left field hitting a doe. Good thing I had 2 tags.

Last edited by Beerd; 11-13-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm jealous. I've always wanted to hunt free range bison with my Sharps.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    I would like to hear what cartridge and the load details for that 86 Win
    Tx
    beltfed/arnie
    I use hard cast 405 grain grease groove bullets with 5744 powder and they will pass through most anything in North America...

Looks like dinner to me! My first taste of buffalo was in the restaurant next door to to the Buffalo Saloon in Hamilton, Mt in 1980. It was the elk hunters breakfast special which had a buffalo t-bone, hash browns, 3 eggs and biscuits. Everybody in there was headed out hunting but me and I had to go to work, which is just as well because after I wolfed that breakfast down I couldn't have walked very far.
    Last edited by murf205; 12-02-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Anyone who says cast boolits won't take game is nuts. About 35 years ago my brother and I were chosen for a buffalo hunt in Wyoming. We took the primitive hunt (you had to go out and find your own buffalo no guarantees of getting an animal. They weren't in some one acre track). I took my mine with a .56 Caliber Thompson/Center Hawking rifle. 80 grains of Pyrodex rifle. Dropped in his tracks. My brother got his with , can you believe, a .45 caliber Hawking Thompson/Center. He used 100 grains of Pyrodex.

Those round balls were cast by us. I believe that when you shoot game with boolits you made, the meat just tastes better. By the way we donated those Buffs to a local Native American Orphanage.

ACC

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If you ever need somebody to tag along and drag it out let me know!lol