Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 7,65x54 powder advise

7,65x54 powder advise

Hello everyone, when I started making my boolits for the mauser 1909, I was recommended to use IMR 4895. Unfortunately in Argentina there is a shortage of variety of powder. But some importers have imported three, of which I have no experience. They are Win 748 and 760, and hodgdon hybrid 100v.
    From what I was reading, the Hybrid for 7.65x54 suits me, but I wanted to hear if anyone has an opinion about which one should buy.
    Thank you

I have used a lot of W760(H414) over the years in cartridges similar to the 7.65 and it has always delivered speed and accuracy. Use Magnum strength primers for it. I've used W748, but not enough to have formed much opinion of it. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Of the 3 powders you mention, W748 is the fastest, 760 next, and the Hybrid100V is slowest. The Hybrid seems too slow to me for your 1909, even for jacketed. I looked at Hodgdon for loads for the 308, which is similar in size to your 7.65, and they list none for the Hybrid100V. The 760 works fine in 308 with jacketed bullets, and I'm sure it would do the same in the 1909. I have no data for cast bullets with 760 in the 7.65, but I'm thinking it might take close to a full case to get a clean burn, even with a heavy boolit. That might result in more velocity than you need or want.
    An old Lyman manual, #46, lists no loads for the 7.65 with 748, but it does have some cast loads for the 308. The starting load listed for a 170 grain boolit is 32 grains; for a 178 it is 30. Both those loads give a velocity around 1850 fps, which probably means using gas checks. You haven't told us which boolit you are casting for the 7.65. Do you have access to any fast pistol/shotgun powders? Those might be better for your purposes than slow rifle powders.

Thanks for the answers
    I am using lyman 314299, double pc, sized .314 (my barrel is .313)
    The boolits weigh 190-192 grains BHN 18 using approx 60% pure lead and rest linotype. I add 1% tin, despite the linotype.
    I have used gun loads, and even H2400 with good results, but I would like to continue testing to improve speed without losing precision.

Boolit Buddy
    In your place I would still buy a pound of W748. If it turns out it goes too fast for your purposes with cast, it can still be used for j-words. And it works great in 223, 308, 30-30 and many others. Try that 190 grain boolit with 29-30 grains for a start and see how it works. The old Lyman book shows loads as stout as 44 grains with the 178 grainer, but that gives over 2250 fps in the 308. Too fast for me and more pressure than I want in my 1891s.

36.5gr of the Hybrid 100v shot some pretty good groups for me with NOE 311365 @ around 2000fps. Fired with a magnum primer, pressure was fairly low, cast bullet friendly. That was out of my Krag, capacity is fairly close between the two cartridges. I only had a lb of it to play with, pretty close in burn rate to RL19, which also gives me good results.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

+1 on what Madsenshooter said. W760/H414 is my 'go to' for the Krag. 37 gr. under a powder-coated 200 gr. Lee 309-200R comes pretty close to matching velocity of the original 200 gr. jacketed round from my carbine.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon lists data for your cartridge (7.65X53 Mauser), but they only list data for Hodgdon powders. H414 is listed in their data, so I would start there..
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

it seems that I will have to experiment with slow powder
    thanks for the tips