Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Range Friendly PC

Boolit Man

Range Friendly PC

Have any of you ever had your ammo rejected by a range because they called your PC bullets "lead"? After 3 yrs at my local range I had the owner check my ammo and cut me off every chance I had to explain what powdercoat means for bullets. He didn't even want to hear it or scratch test it, like his employees would sometimes do. Idk if it was a bad day of his or because my PC is a smoked chrome color so it sort of looks like its straight cast lead with a distressed look.

Just to make sense of this subject, ranges dont want straight cast shot indoors because of the fumes of lead it leaves behind in the air out the barrel right? but the PC acts as a jacket to prevent that from happening right?

Uh, IMO, it's still a lead bullet, just with a micro-thin coating of baked on paint. When it hits steel it splatters and vaporizes like an uncoated bullet. I highly doubt the "fumes of lead" theory.

The PC only acts as a replacement for the bullet lube. It's not a magic "jacket".

Again, JMHO.....

If they are concerned about lead dust, then they are probably correct to reject the PC Bullets. The PC does not stay together like a jacketed Bullet might. Often jacketed bullets will fragment depending on what angle they hit the steel.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Banned

I hate indoor ranges, just despise them and try real hard to never darken the door of one.

That said, had to endure one to take my Dad shooting where he is a year or two back and took some gallery loads for a High Wall rifle he is fond of with cast bullets which were very obviously lubed lead and they looked at them and had no problems. All they were looking for were AP type rounds.

If I were you, I'd find a better place to shoot. It's this "problem" today, it'll be something else later.

No they want to sell you ammo, nothing simpler than that. FMJ with exposed base is fine? Lead primers are fine? Yeah its about your indoor range. I shun them like a liberal politician. I gave an indoor range 10m from my house but choose to drive 1hr to an outdoor range/club where I can shoot what I want, how I want.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    If they are concerned about lead dust, then they are probably correct to reject the PC Bullets. The PC does not stay together like a jacketed Bullet might. Often jacketed bullets will fragment depending on what angle they hit the steel.
    I fail to understand this logic. A jacketed bullet will come apart on any metal backstop, just like a coated lead bullet. A PC covered bullet really acts no diff on hard surfaces vs jacketed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Indoor ranges are a very well known source for excessive lead exposure. Employees must undergo routine testing and may be sent home for extended time periods if they test higher than the specified limit. As such, employees/owners will cook up any untested theory possible to reduce lead exposure (and sell ammo). In reality, things that may actually help are rubber backstops, enhanced ventilation, automated wetting systems to control dust, etc. All cost $$$. It is a lot easier to harass one or two customers that use cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    Shooting plated or exposed based jacketed bullets is also going to result in lead splatter all over the back splash. My biggest concern about shooting PC indoors is that some of the powders stink.

The range is either ignorant or trying to force you to buy their ammo. One of my local ranges doesn’t allow any handloads. The other range allows anything other than bullets attracted to magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I fail to understand this logic. A jacketed bullet will come apart on any metal backstop, just like a coated lead bullet. A PC covered bullet really acts no diff on hard surfaces vs jacketed.
    I mostly agree, but I have recovered many a jacketed bullet that was smashed up, but did not shatter on impact. Depends on the angle of the steel and speed of the bullet.

Either way, I agree with you about indoor ranges. Thankfully I do not have to use them.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I manage a little shooting range that uses a steel trap to stop rounds & collect the lead...lube sized lead, PC coated lead and all the various jacketed up to FMJ's...

It may be like the larger traps commercially used at indoor ranges but I wouldn't know...I can't abide by their rules and reg's...haven't since 1974....but a steel trap is a steel trap.

What comes out of these traps is universally the same unless a squib load exits the barrel & makes it into the trap and does not self destruct...this is what's behind the scenes at the local range...it is shreaded & smeared into oblivion and little pieces...there's what is left of a jacket right in the center of this picture...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    looks like it is time to find another place to shoot or just buy their approved ammo.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    looks like it is time to find another place to shoot or just buy their approved ammo.
    i already have a membership at an outdoor range, i only went to this indoor one as a guest because my dad has a membership at the local indoors. Oh believe me i bet he wanted me to buy their ammo, $30 for a box of 45 is one way they keep their lights on. I have some berrys plated i can put away for these rare occasions i visit that place, but thanks everyone for their input.

Boolit Master
    There is a BIG difference between indoor ranges, just as there is a big difference in outdoor ranges. I have been to outdoor ranges that were so hobbled with rules it was really a PITA to shoot there. Same with indoor. Yes, some ranges are hyper about lead. Most indoor ranges (or outdoor with metal conserving bullet stops) will ban any type of steel bullets. One I stopped at did not allow solid copper bullets. Many have caliber restrictions, including some outdoor ranges.

I was lucky to be near a good indoor range when we lived at a previous address. But, now I am close enough to one of the best public outdoor ranges I have ever been on.