MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Reel Lube

Boolit Master

Fishing Reel Lube

Cold weather is here so decided to do maintenance on my fishing gear. Took apart my old Mitchell 300 and the grease inside was looking pretty sad but realized I don't know what to use as a replacement. Only grease I have on hand is Hoppe's but the label on the tube implies it is for rust protection not lubrication. Also have CLP and GI LSA on hand but was wondering what others use and recommend.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Cold weather is here so decided to do maintenance on my fishing gear. Took apart my old Mitchell 300 and the grease inside was looking pretty sad but realized I don't know what to use as a replacement. Only grease I have on hand is Hoppe's but the label on the tube implies it is for rust protection not lubrication. Also have CLP and GI LSA on hand but was wondering what others use and recommend.
    I use silicone lube. It's worked from 120° in the gulf to -45° at home. Yep, you have to clean your reel but it works!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The only time I regreased a reel I used a small plastic ampule of grease from a Moen Faucet Cartridge replacement kit.

I figured if it was designed to handle the water and high pressure it would do fine in my Shakespeare.

I do have a partial tube of Lucas Red and Tacky I bought for making Bens Red. So I would probably use that now.

I'm sure how it works in super cold weather, 'cause I don't go out in it,
    but I've always used the high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease I repack front wheels with.

It probably doesn't work any better than other things, but it works for me, and I always have some on the shelf.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-12-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The only time I regreased a reel I used a small plastic ampule of grease from a Moen Faucet Cartridge replacement kit.

I figured if it was designed to handle the water and high pressure it would do fine in my Shakespeare.

I do have a partial tube of Lucas Red and Tacky I bought for making Bens Red. So I would probably use that now.
    the faucet lube is silicon grease
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Honestly, I clean the crap out of my reels yearly and pack them with vaseline. Then I clean the rods once a year with furniture polish, knock of citrus stuff.

I mostly fish in brackish water so they get fresh water rinse after fishing.

Most of my gear is cheap. But its lasted longer than more expensive stuff my friends have. Every thing will last a long time and be reliable as long as you take care of it.

It probably won't matter what use or do. As long as use and do something.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Abu Garcia Silicote Reel Lube

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    Abu Garcia Silicote Reel Lube
    That is good stuff. I once lost a muzzleloader to a truck break in a few. years back. I had greased the insides with the Garcia Lube. The cops found it a year later in a river under a bridge under 5 feet of water during a training exercise. The thieves obviously didn't appreciate a T/C Hawken. All the parts with the grease on them were like new which was enough to build a new percussion rifle.

Boolit Master

Alchemy Oil, works really well!

Boolit Master
    Corrosion X

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    For many years, I have used Mobil 1 synthetic grease for lubing all of my fishing reels. It's red in color and impervious to heat and cold-stays the same viscosity despite whatever the outside temperature is. As a Wisconsin native, I KNOW how cold it gets back there and this grease is magic for that ice box!!

Boolit Buddy
    I also used Mobil 1. I have a grease gun full of it.

Boolit Master
    Lot of good info, will hit the local rod& gun store today for the Abu-Garcia lube, if no luck the auto parts store for Mobil 1. Actually moved from WI to KY last year to get out of the cold, although it is 20 outside with a dusting of snow right now. Not worried about the cold when fishing, if it drops to the 40's I stay inside.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    The mention of the old Mitchell 300 reel brings back a lot of fond memories from my youth. Spent a lot of time fishing with them.

Boolit Master
    Lubriplate is recommended by a lot of manufacturers, but honestly any good gun grease or even lithium auto grease from the grease gun will work fine. If you buy a tube of grease from the reel maker it’s almost always just a general purpose white grease. That’s a very low stress grease so almost anything else would be just as good.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

In ice fishing, you could probably get away with just a good oil. A couple of my reels do double duty in open water and ice fishing. You definitely want a grease on the gears if you are casting, most are brass and will wear quickly if dry.

I use Cal's grease on both the gears and drag washers, and as minimal as possible. I use CorrosionX on the bearings, line winder, and anything else that moves. Cal's is rather thick, but still works just fine for me in the winter. I've fished plenty when it was -20F, I can't imagine it gets colder than that in Kentucky.

Boolit Master
    The Abu-Garcia grease is sort of middle of the road for viscosity, thinner that auto grease but thicker than LSA. The little tube was about $6 and change and will be with the other fishing stuff that my son will get when I'm gone. Was surprised at the interior condition of the reels, expected a lot of wear but gears were still fine. Only loss was one line spool, corrosion on the aluminium where the finish had chipped was snagging line sometimes when casting, fortunately have several extra spools so replaced it with a new one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Lubriplate is recommended by a lot of manufacturers, but honestly any good gun grease or even lithium auto grease from the grease gun will work fine. If you buy a tube of grease from the reel maker it’s almost always just a general purpose white grease. That’s a very low stress grease so almost anything else would be just as good.
    I have to agree with this /\
    There's not much demand placed on that grease and it's probably more important to have some clean grease in the reel that what kind of grease it is.

A synthetic grease that tolerates temperature extremes would work but I bet plain old white lithium grease would get the job done too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quantum Hot Sauce reel grease is good stuff for all weather conditions.

I got a small tub of wolfs head bearing grease I pretty much use for everything .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast