Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Winchester 30 GOV mould

Banned

Winchester 30 GOV mould

This beauty just arrived this morning. I found it on ebay listed by a re-seller of dishes and glass figurines. I was the only bidder.
    Just what it actually is I don't yet know. I have reached out to a Winchester collector for help.

From it's appearance It may not have ever been cast with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7910.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	251105

Name:	IMG_7907.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	251107

Name:	IMG_7906.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	251108

Boolit Master
    I've got one marked 30 W.C.F. S.R. , but the cavity appears slightly longer, and has a single lube groove very near the base of the bullet.
    Yours having no grease groove seems odd, maybe used unlubed with a pinch of bullseye for indoor gallery use in a N.G. armory? Krag1902 will probably know its history.

Great find!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I've got one marked 30 W.C.F. S.R. , but the cavity appears slightly longer, and has a single lube groove very near the base of the bullet.
    Yours having no grease groove seems odd, maybe used unlubed with a pinch of bullseye for indoor gallery use in a N.G. armory? Krag1902 will probably know its history.
    More information has been located. I now know what to look for in a 30-30 mould as a companion for my 30-30 tool, it is the mould Gewehr-Guy has. Winchester never made anything heavier than these short range, light bullets in .30 caliber. The idea was the light boolits would serve as an excellent small game cartridge in the hunting rifle. If large game were to be pursued the hunter was expected to purchase factory ammo more suitable for the task. Winchester also offered factory ammunition loaded with these light, lead and jacketed boolits.

My mould has an unknown extra cavity added post factory for ??? reason. It casts a 100 grain boolit. The WCF version was 117 grains with a flat nose. There is also a 150 grain ARMY marked RN that saw very limited production in 1897 only.

My mould was to use the be used with reloading short range cartridges with the Model 1894 Reloading Tool chambered in .30 Gov. S.R. The Winchester Model 1895 Rifle was chambered for .30-40 Krag.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Great info !