Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning about Meopta binoculars

Boolit Grand Master

Warning about Meopta binoculars

This is just a heads up for those looking for new American assembled binoculars. Meopta used to be THE binocular after Leupold discontinued the gold ring. I finally broke down and bought the Meopro 8x42 HD. Well, they are no longer assembled in the USA. I called Meopta, and they claim they have been made in Czech for over 2 years now, even though they advertize as being American made on their website.

Hopefully this saves someone some time, the only American options anymore are used Leupolds, or Maven. I guess I'll pony up the $900 for the Maven B1.

Banned

So, are they good binoculars?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    So, are they good binoculars?
    Meopta Meopro's used to be if you can find used. I never even tried these ones. You don't advertise as American built, and then send something else. It's false advertising.

Maven seems to be fantastic quality. I ordered the B1 model 8x42, they are built in the USA of mostly Japanese components. I called to verify. They sure don't give them away at $900, but a lot of guys claim they are right up there with Swarovski ($1800).

Some guys get bent out of shape over made in USA vs assembled in USA vs built in USA of US and foreign components, etc. Meopta are flat out liars. I'll never own another item from them again in my lifetime. Maven is right out in the open with it. Even USA built Leupold scopes use glass from a variety of sources. The US doesn't have companies that can supply enough top quality glass to these big manufacturers.

Boolit Master
    Bought a DeWalt circular saw and they have it right on the box. Made from Globally sourced components". But they also say "assembled with pride in the U.S.A." Some of Kobalts products used to be made in China, lately now the ones I have bought (impact sockets) have been made in Taiwan. Thought I had a complete set of impact sockets in both SAE and Metric. Now I do. Frank

Banned

So you already bought them, haven't tried them and you're gonna give up on them because of that, then go spend $900?

I hope their return policy is good and you got a refund.

Banned

I have several Meopta scopes.......both US made and Czech made. I can't see any difference in quality or price! Excellent quality either in my humble opinion!

Boolit Master

This is one of the downsides of capitalism.
    The worse option would be to have the government dictate to manufactures that they have to build products to government standards so that all Americans can afford it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    The worse option would be to have the government dictate to manufactures that they have to build products to government standards so that all Americans can afford it.
    I don't consider it a downside. Meopta flat out lied. For it, they have lost a customer for life. It didn't cost me a penny thankfully, besides a little time boxing it back up. I bought through Optics Planet by the way, which offers free shipping and free returns.

@richhodg66, If you flat out lie to me for such a stupid reason, it's over. It doesn't matter if it's binoculars or an acquaintance . Close friends and family might get a pass.

I was shopping for binoculars either made in USA or assembled in USA. Meopta stated in the first sentance on their website "Perfect for any outdoor adventure, the American assembled MeoProŽ HD 42mm delivers the quality optics and HD performance rivaling binoculars costing hundreds more." It looks like they now took the American assembled part out after I called them.

It doesn't matter if you care where a product is manufactured, which I do greatly. Meopta was falsely advertising, thus the warning.

Meopro's are about $500, The Maven's (which are built in the USA) I just bought are $900, plus they are a binocular that many say they compete with brands twice the price.

Boolit Grand Master
    I appreciate the heads up and admire your commitment to honesty.

I prefer to buy American when I can as well. One reason I buy very little at Wally World.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. You got a better product at a price you can afford.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

i agree with the OP. if a company lies to me or tries to deceive me, im done with them forever.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    i agree with the OP. if a company lies to me or tries to deceive me, im done with them forever.
    Same goes for people as far as I am concerned.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Same goes for people as far as I am concerned.
    absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Or force us to only buy domestically produced products that cost a great deal more or are inferior to an imported option. What capitalism is good at is efficiently providing goods to people who have the means to purchase them. When forced to compete for that purchase the prices to the purchaser will tend to be lower or quality higher.

Exported items tend to be the better stuff or stuff where the efficiency of production is an extreme advantage. Otherwise the profit doesn't cover the transportation costs as well. Florida exports the biggest and best oranges because those will fetch the highest prices. Michigan does the same with apples. China ships auto parts to the US because low cost of production make them profitable to ship this far.

Ironic in a way, a higher cost of fuel and transportation would make export of less refined products less profitable and might well encourage domestic production.

I do see where if the company web site says US manufactured and they are not it would warrant some displeasure. Not disagreeing with that sentiment. Not that I'm going to spend even a fraction of $900 on binoculars unless the playboy mansion moves to the parcel across the street.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

this si why I will never buy a Snap-On Tool again. All their stuff is being made in the same factory as Harbor Freight tools and yet they proudly put their name, which used to mean some of the best hand tools ever made, on the Chinese Stuff but omit the part where they are made in China, and yet still charge the same money as if they were being made here. I had some serious strong words with the Snap On Distributor over this. I'll never go near them again and usually flip them off when driving by the truck on the Freeway!

I agree with Mega on this one. However I generally buy HF tools now because they have Snap On Quality and are way much cheaper!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Hate to high jack , but if you are referring to the Icon line of tools you are mistaken. Might look the same outside but lacking in substance. Lots of chatter on this whole Icon vs Snap on controversy. Personally I agree with the OP and go out of my way supporting American made or manufactured products. Won't buy foreign when possible. Totally understand the angst in false advertising. If we dont support American jobs who will. The job you save may be your own.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Banned

Ive had guys on here claim Toyotas are American. Guess if they can make that claim that why cant meopata

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This is just a heads up for those looking for new American assembled binoculars. Meopta used to be THE binocular after Leupold discontinued the gold ring. I finally broke down and bought the Meopro 8x42 HD. Well, they are no longer assembled in the USA. I called Meopta, and they claim they have been made in Czech for over 2 years now, even though they advertize as being American made on their website.

Hopefully this saves someone some time, the only American options anymore are used Leupolds, or Maven. I guess I'll pony up the $900 for the Maven B1.
    They just joined the countless other companies that manufacture their products in China, Vietnam, or the republic of gonoria. Its all about the almighty dollar. The profit that can be make by having stuff made overseas as opposed to here in the states.

Dude, who needs a pair of $900 binoculars anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    They just joined the countless other companies that manufacture their products in China, Vietnam, or the republic of gonoria. Its all about the almighty dollar. The profit that can be make by having stuff made overseas as opposed to here in the states.

Man!, you must be my long lost brother!
    Exactly what I was thinking!

Boolit Buddy

Pawn shop find

As likely with many folks here, I stop by the local pawn shops from time to time to see what interesting revolvers might turn up.

A couple of years ago, I found these: Bausch & Lomb Zephyr binoculars...made in Rochester, NY. Early post war production, they have coated lenses and a magnesium body. These are 7x35, easily the most common, as they were recommended as most useful all around. Not too much magnification to be steady handheld, not too bulky yet producing bright images. These are still astoundingly clear and well-collimated; a tribute to a time when American workers and factories produced a product equal or superior to any in the world!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post

That's not entirely true. Meopta was always a Czech company, but some of their products were made in the USA. Their binoculars are now made in Czech, and are likely as good as before.

As for $900 binoculars, are you guys aware of the prices on optics? Sure a Tasco rifle scope, or simmons binoculars, etc. work... kind of.

I'm not all that happy dumping that kind of cash, but great binoculars are something I've needed for a while. I've wasted too much time on cheap ones. Maven is up there with the top brands, and once you see their prices you realize it's not that bad. Swarovski always tops the lists, both in price and quality. The 8x42's run $1800. Zeiss runs just over $1000, Leica has one at $1000 and one at $2250! I beleive Leupold Golden rings were around $1000 when they were discontinued around 10 years ago, and most people didn't consider them to be as good as the european binoculars of the time. Sheesh, $900 is considered a mid-price rifle scope today.

As I said, I wanted made in usa binoculars which significantly shortened my list. I looked for a year for a good set of Leupold gold rings that were in great condition. Lots of old porro prism 80's and 90's styles, but not what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast