Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Steel BB's

Question Steel BB's

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here goes.

I have read a lot and seen videos on using steel pins as a tumbling media to clean brass cases. I have never used them but I was wondering why steel bb's couldn't be used. Any ideas about that?

I have always dry tumbled my cases but have seen the light and am getting into wet tumbling.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    I started dry tumbling. Had good results. But didn't like the way primer holes came out. Got into wet tumbling and like it much better. I use SS pins right now. But thinking of changing to Southern Shine SS chips. I'm thinking that they will do a better job. I'm thinking BBs being round won't as good a job as media that has edges to it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    im a bit behind you, I gotta wait for Santa and he's slow. but I think the corners of the pins and only being 1mm wide reach into areas well, like into the primer pocket corners and in the gap above the rim, things like that. but maybe some bbs in also could benefit in some way.

Boolit Buddy
    The BB's would not clean the primer pockets and would be prone to rusting. Just my opinion, YMMV. But give it a try, experimentation is what drives innovation.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep the size of the BBs prevent them from getting into the primer pocket (if you need pristine primer pockets) and as Slugster mentioned they will soon rust; as soon as the copper plate is worn off. I "experimented" with wet tumbling and I didn't want to buy specific pins so I used stainless hardware like small nuts #4-#6 nuts, cotter pins, washers, and small screws (I was owned by a boat and had a bunch of stainless steel hardware). OD of the brass came out highly polished but the interior of the case and primer pockets was no better than just a citric acid/soap soak. I didn't like the mess and if I want shiny brass I just leave it in my tumbler (rotary) a bit longer...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Stainless Steel BB’s are your better option, and even then you’ll want to size them to get into all the nooks and crannies. Perhaps mix them with some stainless steel pins in order to get the detail the pins offer...

I am not sure I see the advantage of using bb’s over pins though.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Buddy
    I like these (https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor...-18&th=1&psc=1) mixed in with my dry media.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    I like these (https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor...-18&th=1&psc=1) mixed in with my dry media.
    That is what I'm talking about.

ACC

Banned
    I took some of the cheap zinc plated BB's along with some .042" zinc plated steel wire that snipped into 1/8" to 1/4" lengths and tumbled them in some diluted muriatic acid to burn off the zinc. It make a black zinc oxide on both the pins and BB's. I only used them a couple of times because I bought regular SS pins. But they worked just fine.
    I used them on 22lr cases and the BB's got stuck in the cases somewhat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-15-09h32m35s508.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	251280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-15-09h32m39s654.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	251281 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-11-15-09h32m24s602.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	251279