Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi loading gate problems

Boolit Mold

Rossi loading gate problems

[I have a new Rossi .357 and among other things the loading gate pops out and lets a cartridge back under the lifter and jams the gun. I've had it out and it seems to be made up of three pieces and rubbish metal to boot.Any answers?
    Having a heck of a time getting it to shoot ,tried about a dozen different loads and boolits after slugging the bore.
    The one load that works fine is 15 grs of BM1 with a cbe 172 gr boolit ,but I'm getting unburnt powder and if I reduce the charge the accuracy goes to pot. I thought I knew how to get Rossi's to shoot but this one is getting the best of me .If I had any hair I'd have it all pulled by now.
    Jim

I just picked up an older Rossi .357, mine has a 1-30 twist barrel and I wonder if it will have trouble with longer boolits. I have some 358156s loaded longer using the lower crimp grove and it has trouble feeding them - they would end up under the bolt like you describe.

It shoots and feeds 125 grain J words good and shoots 358156s good in single loading. On my next batch of the 156s I'll seat them shorter and they should feed fine.

My own 357 Rossi can be difficult to load as well--with 38s as well as 357's. After pushing in a couple of rounds, subsequent ones feel as though the cartridge rim catches on something. I've been loading this in the same way I've loaded model 94's for years, but it seems as though the model 92 process is best accomplished by loading each round in all the way, as opposed to pushing rounds completely in with the next round. My 357 is a newer one--my 44 mag is an older EMF that doesn't hang up during the reloading process. As far as feeding once loaded, I never had problems with 358156's or with Lee 125's when I've used 357 brass. I had real hangup problems with 38 special cases, though, until I started reloading them by seating the boolits farther out.

Boolit Buddy
    Wrangler,
    I had the same problem with the loading gate on my Rossi .I worked the lever while holding the gate in , it seemed to go back into synch . But the problem has since returned so not much help. Cheers Gerry.

The loading gate needs to be slid all the way forward, pushed inside the receiver. This will prevent the jams. You can remove some of the metal on the gate-spring to soften it.

The loading can be smoothed out further by replacing the plastic receiver with a metal one. Also, cutting some off of the magazine spring. I believe I cut it to 3X357 cartridge lengths longer than the magazine.

I recommend getting http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&products_id=7 the changes I mentioned are all described on the DVD, plus a replacement ejector spring and metal follower are included.

Getting the Rossi back together without the DVD was really tough. With the DVD it's much easier.

After doing everything except the work on the extractor, my Rossi is now a super-smooth error-free rifle. It did have the loading gate problem once more, but after softening the magazine spring it has operated flawlessly.

For loads and bullets: The best so far is a Lee TL358-158-SWC (now lapped and 168 grains) over 3.5 grains of HP-38 or 3.5 grains of 700X. In 357 brass, this 38 special load is super accurate. OAL of 1.60. Tied in accuracy is a 170 (lapped the mould to almost 180) Keith over 13.5 grains of H110, OAL of 1.620. 38 special brass isn't nearly as accurate, but it feeds ok.

Basically, for light loads in the 150-170 bullet weight range, the 3.5 grains of 700X can work well, try 3.5 with Bullseye if that's what you have. 5.3 grains of Unique in the same bullets is good, just not as accurate. 15.5 grains of H110 with at 158-SWC is a good load as well. Just not as accurate as the 180/13.5 load.

I did have to buy a impact-driver to get the trigger spring out and the magazine-end off. Lightening the trigger is just amazing in this gun.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 06-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
    [I have a new Rossi .357 and among other things the loading gate pops out and lets a cartridge back under the lifter and jams the gun. I've had it out and it seems to be made up of three pieces and rubbish metal to boot.Any answers?
    Having a heck of a time getting it to shoot ,tried about a dozen different loads and boolits after slugging the bore.
    The one load that works fine is 15 grs of BM1 with a cbe 172 gr boolit ,but I'm getting unburnt powder and if I reduce the charge the accuracy goes to pot. I thought I knew how to get Rossi's to shoot but this one is getting the best of me .If I had any hair I'd have it all pulled by now.
    Jim
    The loading gate is to short, there is a fine edge of metal at the front of the gate that catches the front of the LG opening keeping the gate in place. Remove the gate and with a small hammer and a flat piece of steel peen the front edge just very little making the gate longer.Check the gate OAL before peening and again after you need about .005(.1MM) added length for good function.
    If you make it too long the gate won't close far enough and the gun won't feed properly.
    Last edited by Calamity Jake; 06-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jlchucker View Post
    My own 357 Rossi can be difficult to load as well--with 38s as well as 357's. After pushing in a couple of rounds, subsequent ones feel as though the cartridge rim catches on something. I've been loading this in the same way I've loaded model 94's for years, but it seems as though the model 92 process is best accomplished by loading each round in all the way, as opposed to pushing rounds completely in with the next round. My 357 is a newer one--my 44 mag is an older EMF that doesn't hang up during the reloading process. As far as feeding once loaded, I never had problems with 358156's or with Lee 125's when I've used 357 brass. I had real hangup problems with 38 special cases, though, until I started reloading them by seating the boolits farther out.
    your loading problem is caused by that SWC(or FN) boolit hanging up on the back edge of the mag tube, you can remove the mag tube and chamfer/radius the edge a little to help feeding, while you have it apart cut about 3 coils off the mag spring and clean and dry lube the tube good.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks fella's, I knew someone here would be able to help me. Not worried about taking it apart and putting together again. Had lots of practice at that over the years .The first time took nearly 2 hours to re- assemble my daughters Rossi but have learned a lot of shortcuts since then. I'ts so easy once you know how
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    your loading problem is caused by that SWC(or FN) boolit hanging up on the back edge of the mag tube, you can remove the mag tube and chamfer/radius the edge a little to help feeding, while you have it apart cut about 3 coils off the mag spring and clean and dry lube the tube good.
    Thanks, Jake. The mag spring's already been shortened and the tube cleaned. I'll check the chamfer/radius. That feels like it may be the problem. If I push around in there with my finger I can move the cartridge a slight bit and it goes right into the tube. except for this little hangup, these are great little firearms, if, like me, you can't afford an original Winchester in 32-20.

Boolit Mold
    I've had the same problem, solved it by drawing out the corners of the gate by hitting it with a hammer on an anvil. This way the total length of the door was increased preventing it from poping out under magazine spring force. Hope it make as much sense in English as it does in Spanish.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
    Jim
    Jim
    If they goin in under the lifter its NOT the loading gate - its the cartridge stop - the little spring loaded bit attached to the front end of the left hand side cartridge guide - not the first Rossi that had a problem there -
    1)some new guns got enough gunk in the action to foul up that piece
    2) the spring in behind it is out of place and not pushing it across to block the incoming rounds
    make a couple of dummy rounds - feed em in the side - open the action most of the way so the bolt is near all the way back but the lifter is still down - push the last dummy up into the magazine with a screwdriver and that little cartridge stop should hold it - push the stopper aside with the tip of yr screwdriver and it comes back onto the lifter and the stopper pops back and holds the next round - if that stopper is not working right as soon as you complete the cycle (lifter goes up) then another round feeds in under the lifter and jams the gun.
    3) something else much worse that I havent quite figured out yet.

Accuracy? whats the twist on these new Rossis? I had a 357 it was killer accurate with the Lee 158 grain I shot it with Blackpowder and smokeless - your boolit might be a tad too long for the twist??

Boolit Master
    My Rossi shoots great with light bullets 130 rnfp in light loads ,the heaviest bullet I have used is the Lee C358-158-swc with the gc and lubed it winds up at 168 but I have only tested at 25 yards when working up loads for sp101 , in the Rossi over 16.8 grains of Power Pro 300-MP it would put 5 in 1 hole with tang sight ,I need to finish load work up ,and test at longer range .It feeds fine from the magazine and no issues loading through gate. The loading port on my receiver had a lot of burrs inside so I debured it and chamfered the mag tube and lightened the spring on the gate . My Rossi loaded stock but was stiff and hard on my finger. The directions for smoothing up loading were following instructions I found on the net.
    Last edited by onelight; 03-28-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Is there such a thing as Taurus/Rossi customer service Down Under? I mean, it's hard enough here in the States!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Is there such a thing as Taurus/Rossi customer service Down Under? I mean, it's hard enough here in the States!
    Finding someone that knows what they doing around a lever gun eliminates near all the sellers and most "gunsmiths" (we only have a handful of them anyway) lead time for the blokes worth letting work on a gun is months or years. We are such a small part of a small market - I have learnt to look after what I have myself cuz its less trouble in the end. Dont get me entirely wrong there are a few blokes that do work as good as it gets on bolt guns - barrel work etc and also trap guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Jim
    If they goin in under the lifter its NOT the loading gate - its the cartridge stop - the little spring loaded bit attached to the front end of the left hand side cartridge guide - not the first Rossi that had a problem there -
    1)some new guns got enough gunk in the action to foul up that piece
    2) the spring in behind it is out of place and not pushing it across to block the incoming rounds
    make a couple of dummy rounds - feed em in the side - open the action most of the way so the bolt is near all the way back but the lifter is still down - push the last dummy up into the magazine with a screwdriver and that little cartridge stop should hold it - push the stopper aside with the tip of yr screwdriver and it comes back onto the lifter and the stopper pops back and holds the next round - if that stopper is not working right as soon as you complete the cycle (lifter goes up) then another round feeds in under the lifter and jams the gun.
    3) something else much worse that I havent quite figured out yet.

Accuracy? whats the twist on these new Rossis? I had a 357 it was killer accurate with the Lee 158 grain I shot it with Blackpowder and smokeless - your boolit might be a tad too long for the twist??
    The twist on my 357 is 1 in 30 it shoots 125 - 130s good at from slow to fast but seems to shoot 158 to 170 grain best at close to max velocity

Boolit Master
    Bump.

Is that plastic magazine follower really such a big problem? And the tube spring?

I've been handling one lately, it works so-so, accuracy is there... but loading is tough. Impossible to find a "right" technique, I've fired 500+ factory and 700+ cast in a couple of weeks now.

Might be a keeper,warranty return,cheap...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Bump.

Is that plastic magazine follower really such a big problem? And the tube spring?

I've been handling one lately, it works so-so, accuracy is there... but loading is tough. Impossible to find a "right" technique, I've fired 500+ factory and 700+ cast in a couple of weeks now.

Might be a keeper,warranty return,cheap...
    My 357 Rossi would not even accept a cartridge right out of the box. The magazine follower was jammed. I removed the fore end of the mag tube, let the spring come out, and then had to use a stiff wire to make the follower move, and subsequently be removed. The spring was good. The follower was a bit rough, but not bad, but inspection of the mag tube revealed a whole lot of crud of some kind. I used some Hoppe's #9 and a brass brush to clean it all out. The rifle performed flawlessly after that.

I had my 357 lock up on me about 2 months ago and got it close after I remove the 2 plates and then was not able to fire it so I took it to my gunsmith and he had idea of a peace break on it and ask me about do I have a had time to load it I said no .He said there is a problem with it on some so I told him change it and also remove the safety on it the 2 of them while he had the gun to work on .I have not fire it yet but he test fire it with 25 rounds and no problems and shot 100 yrds with it open sight and hit the 6" plate. He was impress to see that on open sight on it. It is the 16" barrel on my.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    The loading gate needs to be slid all the way forward, pushed inside the receiver. This will prevent the jams. You can remove some of the metal on the gate-spring to soften it.

The loading can be smoothed out further by replacing the plastic receiver with a metal one. Also, cutting some off of the magazine spring. I believe I cut it to 3X357 cartridge lengths longer than the magazine.

I recommend getting http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&products_id=7 the changes I mentioned are all described on the DVD, plus a replacement ejector spring and metal follower are included.

Getting the Rossi back together without the DVD was really tough. With the DVD it's much easier.

After doing everything except the work on the extractor, my Rossi is now a super-smooth error-free rifle. It did have the loading gate problem once more, but after softening the magazine spring it has operated flawlessly.

For loads and bullets: The best so far is a Lee TL358-158-SWC (now lapped and 168 grains) over 3.5 grains of HP-38 or 3.5 grains of 700X. In 357 brass, this 38 special load is super accurate. OAL of 1.60. Tied in accuracy is a 170 (lapped the mould to almost 180) Keith over 13.5 grains of H110, OAL of 1.620. 38 special brass isn't nearly as accurate, but it feeds ok.

Basically, for light loads in the 150-170 bullet weight range, the 3.5 grains of 700X can work well, try 3.5 with Bullseye if that's what you have. 5.3 grains of Unique in the same bullets is good, just not as accurate. 15.5 grains of H110 with at 158-SWC is a good load as well. Just not as accurate as the 180/13.5 load.

I did have to buy a impact-driver to get the trigger spring out and the magazine-end off. Lightening the trigger is just amazing in this gun.
    What 357shooter said , I did the same with my Rossi 357 it works slick as can be.

Boolit Master
    I fired this one with no lube quite a bit first,to smooth the roughness. I then brakekleened it,shot some more absolutely dry,brakekleened again and lubed. Helped quite a lot imo. And the j-ammo diet for a new rough barrel never hurts. The factory sights are a matter of taste,to me ok and right on there.

But loading is the same. I'll check the tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast