WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ready for Firearms Season

Boolit Buddy

Ready for Firearms Season

I did my last morning of archery hunting today, no dice. After coming out of the woods, I checked the zero on my 627. Was shooting a few inches left at 25 yards so adjusted and confirmed zero with two shots. I haven't gotten a mold for hunting with the .357 yet so I will be using 180gr Grizzly WFNGC factory ammo. They should produce two holes at the ranges I plan on shooting (50 and in). Anyone else taking a wheelgun to the field for gun season, or already doing it if the season has already started? If I get one with the .357, my Ruger .44 SBH is on deck.

Boolit Master
    I will be hunting with my Clements 41 Special this year. I made me a walking stick with a hand loop, gotta see how I like the combination. It makes for a nice walk in the woods
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I will be hunting with my Clements 41 Special this year. I made me a walking stick with a hand loop, gotta see how I like the combination. It makes for a nice walk in the woods
    Had to look that one up and found a post by yourself with pics. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am very pleased with it. Best I remember it was about 9 months, but well worth it. I now have a 44 special 5 inch factory Ruger as well. Love the medium frame revolvers, especially those starting with a 4 I will probably hunt with the 44 some too. I have both sighted in the same and both share a holster.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Yea buddy!!

I loaded hp some last night!! 100 Lyman 160g SWC for my buddy. (He likes that bullet) and 25 for me with a NOE 165g HP. I have a nice WFN but this darn HP outshoots it!! Both on top of 10g BlueDot powder shot 1” 25 and 2.5” 50 yard groups.

His is a 6” Highway Patrolman with a 4x Leupold and mine a Colt Whitetailer 8” with a dot.

I have tested both in wet magazines and both expand. The SWC not allot but the HP with my allow expands to the bottom and about 25% tears off the nose. So I could drop powder a bit, but its laser accurate and in twenty five years I never got this gun to shoot so well!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I'm carrying my 6.5" Blackhawk .41 magnum along loaded with 10grs Unique and the Lee 210 TLSWC 50/50. Irons- so past 40-50 yards- up comes the carbine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'll be using a 6.5" blackhawk in .357 for alternative season.
    Lee 358 158 rf over unique.

Firearms season will be the ruger predator in .308.
    Lee 309 170 f over 2400.

Good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm carrying my 6.5" Blackhawk .41 magnum along loaded with 10grs Unique and the Lee 210 TLSWC 50/50. Irons- so past 40-50 yards- up comes the carbine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I'm using irons as well. It'd be cool to shoot it with a small dot sight but I like the holster I have for now and I shoot USPSA with .38 SC and that has to be open sights or I'm in open division and I wouldn't do too hot with an 8 shot .357 against 28+ round autoloaders.

Boolit Master
    The ever present new Vaquero in 45 colt has put several deer on the ground in the past. My main weapon this year is a Swedish rolling block I built into a 40-65. Still plan on taking at least one with the 45 though.
    Last year I only shot one deer. It was with my 12.7x44 rolling block. It was the first year I hadn’t killed at least one with the 45 since Ruger introduced them.
    My load in the 45 is the NOE 454-255RF with a cup HP pushed by 8-1/2 gr Unique. 950 fps. Handles MO deer very well.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

I shot some 8.7g Unique loads under a 300g RD bullet last night thru my Contender 10”. Very nice loading. I didnt chrono but isnt much diff from my light BD 454424 load in POA. A 20g 296/225 FTX bullet was sharper recoil and impacted 3” lower. But out @ 50 yards I had more of the 300’s touching.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

I'm having oral surgery tomorrow so, rifles are put away. I'll be using a pistol for a few weeks.

Boolit Master

I bought an old Vaquero I had picked up as a companion for a 20" 45 single shot rifle. The Vaquero had never shot real ammo through the gun, just wax for quick draw competition. The springs were changed so the trigger is light, I plan to replace them with factory springs. I also have an old Vaquero in 38-40 with a 40S&W spare cylinder. Changing the springs on the 45 should make the trigger pull the same.

I shoot magnum handguns but rarely load more that 1200 fps, mostly around 1000 fps, which matches the original load with black powder load with the 1873 Colt. The Vaquero can handle more than that and 45+p loads are more than adequate.

The most fun I have with the 45s has been a light load under a 45 round ball at 900 fps. It reminded me a lot of shooting a reproduction 1858 Remington. The difference is that out of the carbine it is quiet like a 22lr but hits like Thor's Hammer. A lot of people forget that a lot of the CA Grizzly bears were wiped out with '58 Remingtons and '60 Colts using round balls at about 900 fps. Soft round balls really mush out and make big holes on meat targets.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!