Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Mi-hec 155 g. SWC .45 boolit

Boolit Master

Mi-hec 155 g. SWC .45 boolit

I recently got this mold on a group buy. I have been trying to get it to shoot in my Bullseye pistols. I have not been able to get it to group as needed in Bulleys competition. My best groups are between 3 to 4" at 50 yards with 4.5 g. Of Bullseye powder.
    I have only tried BE and WST powder. I am thinking about dropping down to 4.0 or 3.8 g. Of BE. and try that velocity.
    The boolit is listed at 155 g. but mine casts at 167-168 g.
    Has anyone got an accurate load for this bullet?
    This mold has a long slender nose and not a button nose.

I have a Lee mold that appears to be a clone of yours. While it feeds fine, I haven't been able to get mine to group as well as my 200 grain boolits either.
    I finally stopped using it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not aware of one person that has got the 155 gr SWC, in any flavor, to shoot well. I don't know if it's the balance or what, but it's not a bullseye level design.

You're doing better than I did. I was in the 8" range at 50 yards with the 160 gr SWC from Matts bullets. The H&G #68 will stay inside of 3" from the same gun.

Boolit Master
    That is my experience with the 155 gr SWC also, I always went back to the H&G #68 200 gr SWC.

Boolit Master
    Please indulge me on this question. Why would anyone want or need a bullet this light in a 45 caliber handgun? I dont understand and may want to try some myself. But it really baffles me as to why. One of the winningest bullets in the Military Matches that used to be held at the range I belong to, was the 185 gr Federal target load.
    Another bullet that was used and has an impeccable track record was the H&G 68. Why mess with success?
    Bonnie Harmon and most of the top Military Bullseye shooters at the time shot at the club I belong to.
    I have to be careful with what I say due to upsetting people as I have been warned by a moderator, so please,dont take my question as a disparaging remark. I am really curious as to why use a bullet this light.

For me, it was the ability to use less lead per shot, nearly 25% less than the 200 grain boolits. The design was somewhat similar in appearance to the H&G 68 and might shoot as well. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Less lead, maybe less recoil. Always fun to play with something new.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Have the NOE version, drops about 160 grs with range lead. Advantages are less alloy needed and slightly lower recoil. Load is 3.1 grains of BE with a 10# recoil spring. Have not needed bullseye competition accuracy for the steel plate shooting I do now, and minimizing recoil is a consideration due to arthritis. Smallest targets at the club are the 3 in plates at 15 yards and if I miss its not the load.

Boolit Master
    I guess after having been reloading for extremely close to 50 years most or almost all the fun has disappeared. Now it is done to further shooting because of reduced??? cost.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have a H & G S242 mold, it is supposed to be 160 gr. with Lino, with my alloy (pretty close to hardball) it weighs out to about 168 to 170. I know that is quite a spread but
    I haven't weighed them in a while. With that said I push it with 4.5 gr of Bullseye. It has less felt recoil than a 200 gr. bullet pushed with 3.9 BE. They shoot great out of a wadgun.

I have shot tons of Valiant 160'S made with a Magma Clone of the S424 H&G, but after coming across and 8 cavity S242 and grabbed it up and haven't looked back.

Boolit Master
    You’re shooting 3” groups at 50 yards and want something that can do better than that?

I’m not sure any random load from the internet is going to help much.

4.5 grains of BE is a real light load for a bullet that weight. I try upping the powder charge before lowering it. Id also try varying the OAL, different crimp, different primer, or more likely you’ll need to go with something in the 185 to 200 grain range. If going for 2” groups at 50 yards, skimping on 20 grains of lead isn’t the best way to do it.

Boolit Master

Yes, you need to be at least at 2 1/2" for the Bullseye game. I have heard that the 160 g. bullet can do that with ease. The competitors that use it like the results. The 160 g. bullet with enough powder to work the slide gets the bullet out of the barrel quicker. If you cast you get about 25% more bullets for the same amount of lead.
    This bullet will be for target use only. Less bullet drop between 50 and 25 yards.
    I need a project to keep me busy.