Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hi-Tek Supercoat coating

Boolit Master

Hi-Tek Supercoat coating

Have any of you used Hi-Tek Supercoat coatings with black powder guns? I just ordered some for my
    semi auto pistols & plan to try some with my muzzle loaders & cap & ball revolvers.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I have powder coated round lead balls just to mark them for size or to gain ,.002" diameter to fit the bore better.
    But on a Patched Projectile it don't mean Squat for accuracy.
    But it could " Maybe" help with some leading if you shoot a Projectile or unpatched ball.
    But to me , it ain't worth my time.
    Now for a revolver it might work for conicals.
    But round balls , I don't think so because you are shaving a lead ring off when loading.

Boolit Master
    Yep Lags you are spot on almost. I ream my cap & ball cylinder .001 under bore size & use a felt wad under bullet mostly to keep chain fire from happening.
    I,m talking conicals in muzzle loaders. This stuff is pretty tuff not like powder coat they say. I just thought maybe some one had tried it. I have always lubed
    bullets. This stuff is not sticky & the Assies down under have used it for the past 20 years I have read. I will report back if anyone wants to hear my findings.

Fly

Boolit Master

Hi Fly. In addition to preventing leading, I thought a major function of the lube when shooting Holy Black was to keep the fouling soft enough that it let you shoot more than a few rounds without cleaning. I know that's the way it works on BPCR, not sure about front stuffers. Ed

Boolit Master
    I did Powdercoat some REAL slugs for my .45 TC once.
    I was not happy because the increases the diameter and we're really hard to load , even when lubed.
    I guess maybe I should have run them thru my sizer and see if that would have helped

Boolit Master
    Yes I tried the powder coat also & was not to impressed. Ed you bring up some great point I did not consider. Well I did
    get it for my 9mm semi autos any way. But I will give it shot (so to speak) & tell you what I think. Thanks fellows for your
    thoughts as always. That's the fun part of our hobby.

Fly

Boolit Master
    It might make an interesting test. As far as lube and fouling, those of us who paper patch bullets use a lube soaked felt wad under the bullet (I also use a card wad between the felt and the powder). I have thought that powder coating would be a viable alternative to paper patching. Since I PC my cast rifle bullets I may have to try it in the ML.

As mentioned, I would not try it on REAL or such bullets. Instead, size the coated bullets to be a slip fit in the bore (using soft lead for the bullets, eg, 8bhn). Then use enough powder to 'upset' the bullet so it engages the rifling. With 385gn Plains bullets I use 100gn of powder. With 440gn S&W bullets I use 80gn.

Boolit Master
    Charlie report back when you get a round to doing that. My powder coating was a mess but most likely me. This new coating is much thinner.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    I recently powder coated some .50 maxiballs for a renegade. I have a .501 Lee push thru sizer and used that after PC. There was very little sizing needed. I lubed them just like you would do with uncoated lead bullets. At the range I saw no difference in accuracy between the coated and un coated. I can only speculate on whether it would have any effect on possible leading. Not everyone agrees with me but I have seen leading in a .50 TC left by maxi balls. I was able to find it by pulling it out with a undersize jag wrapped with copper chore boy.

All in all I won't be doing any more experimenting on it. I'm a round ball shooter. I only cast the maxis for grandkids who were hunting this year and wanted to shoot conicals. I didn't give them the coated ones for the sake of keeping it simple.

The Hi-Tek coating is not like PC, it will add minimal thickness. I coated some round balls for my revolver once, it made them look pretty but there's no real value in doing it otherwise.

Boolit Master
    C&B revolvers should not use PC as it won't do anything. The PC will be shaved off on seating in the chamber, which means you still have bare lead engaging the barrel.

The purpose of PC is to not lube the bullets and eliminate leading. Like stated above, it serves the same kind of purpose as paper patching.

I shoot a 405 gr cast from SNS out of my Marlin 45-70 and they are Hi-Tech coated from what I know and have read with the Hi-Tech coating it helps with leading and you are also supposed to be able to shoot them at higher velocity's than just a lead slug. Love the bullets from SNS and they are good priced and super fast shipping as well.