Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee dippers

0.17 cc Lee dipper?

0.17 cc Lee dipper? I see this one in my Lee manual but don't have one in my dipper kit. Does or di this dipper ever exist?
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

The 0.17 dipper only comes with a select few die sets. I got 1 in my 25 ACP die set and the other I think was in my 32 ACP dies.

Boolit Grand Master
    I make dippers for specific powder charges by trimming discarded brass to the correct length, then soldering a handle on.

Robert

Boolit Bub

32 s&w

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I make dippers for specific powder charges by trimming discarded brass to the correct length, then soldering a handle on.

Robert
    Hi. The 32 H&R mag. set I got for .327 Fed.Mag., doesn't have it. I got a 32 acp seating die as the 32 lee set is too long for seating. The flare die for 32 H&R will work for 32 acp if you take the stem from the seating die and put in the flare die. The fcd is for a roll crimp (revolvers), and so you need a taper crimp die. I got the RCBS seating die, which has a taper crimp in it for 32 acp. Saved a lot of money not having to buy a whole set for 32 acp. Anyway, all that to say, you can't get a .17 dipper by itself unless you find it on ebay. Lee, Titan, Midway, etc. do not carry it. I have one red dipper that says 190 on it and it came with my lee handloading 12 Guage set. I have no idea what size it really is. I think they used Drams or something like that??

Rodney

Boolit Master

A comparison of both old and new dippers is here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-dippers

Go down to post #11 for the chart giving CC's for both
    John
    W.TN

Do you have a friendly relationship with your doctor? Or maybe your vet. Ask if they have an old syringe of 5cc or so that you can have.
    Use the syringe to check your dippers. Fill syringe to 5cc mark. Squirt into measure till level full. Read the level in the syringe. Subtract the after level from before level to get capacity in cc's.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

I did it the hard way: I made my own chart.
    I use dippers a lot , some are Lee's and some I made and needed to know what they measured out.

I got out all my powders , all my dippers and my scale....worked out my dipping "technique" and went to dipping and weighing . Recorded everything in a binder . Listed the powder and then what each dipper measured out.
    Sometimes the Lee chart didn't agree with what I dipped....but now I know exactly what they dip.

Took awhile but gave me something to do on rainy cold days.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Gary, I did that for some surplus pistol powder. It does take awhile, especially if you are extra conservative and need to refine your dipping technique. Now I need to go thru some homemade dippers that were included in an unrelated buy from a member here.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A chart is available for download from the Lee web site:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf
    That is for the new (yellow) dippers.

Boolit Master

I use the charts that came in the 2 plastic sets that I have, one black and one red. They are close enough for me as I dip the correct dipper onto a scale and then adjust one way or the other. I notice that no one mentioned the old metal dippers. They are number differently from the plastic. Metal dippers that came in the Lee Loader kits were number according to gauge in the case of shotgun(10,12,20,410, 16) and rifle and pistol had numbers assigned to them, 30-06= 12m. Interesting enough the 12 gauge number and the 30-06 number were the same (12). But the 30-06 is marked 12m, not just 12. Studying Lee and his methods is both interesting and exasperating at times. But he did know what he was doing and he certainly helped a lot of us get into reloading when maybe we didn't have money to afford it any other way. my experience anyway, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 01-27-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    i have an old WHACK A MOLE 12 gauge with a black dipper mkd. #127 but no load chart. how do i find what it throughs of what shot gun powder?

Boolit Master

I have in the past just gone the old "try and see" method. I pick the powder that I want to use and don't have on the list and one of the scoops that is listed for that gauge or caliber and throw about 10 charge on the scale and average them until I find one that is close. Then I just trickle a little powder on a scale or remove a little to get the correct charge. I never trust a thrown charge from either a powder measure or a Lee scoop. I had weigh each and every powder charge I use. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    james, so you say if i want to use RED DOT or UNIQUE or GREEN or BLUE DOT. for a shot gun load in my hand loader just dump loads of a given powder with the dipper onto a scale and see how much it weights?

Boolit Master

What I am saying is that I have 2 complete sets of Lee powder scoop measures. I look at the load chart for the number of grains that is recommended in a given gauge/caliber to find the load in grains. I then look on the Blue Dot or Green Dot or Red Dot powder listed on that chart and see what number of scoop that I need to try to get on or close to that powder charge. I then do 10 separate weighs of that powder with that scoop, record each one and then divide by 10 to get an average. If it is close, I can then dump a scoop of that powder from that scoop onto the scale and adjust it up or down as needed to get the correct charge. As I said, I do not trust any scoop or powder measure to hit the charge weight on the button each and every time, so I hand weigh each charge before dumping it into the case. If you only have one scoop (say from a 12 gauge Lee Loader), then use it and just adjust up or down as needed by the scale reading. My method takes longer to load but I am retired and an ol man and in no hurry. Others may find my method too slow or would drive them nuts. If I have not explained this very well, I apologize and plead ol timers disease. Take Care, james

Boolit Master
    james, thanks for going and taking the time to explain it. toot.

Boolit Master

I don't always say things in the correct way that leads to understanding but I am always willing to try again. james

Boolit Master
    TNsailorman, trying again is a good thing. sometimes the first time it some times gets muddied.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Looks like I need to find me some red and black dippers. Unless the red and black are the same except for color. Nice to have a well rounded out scoop collection for when the recipe calls for it.

Boolit Master
    MOA, no they are not the same. the black are the oldest i be leave and red came next. and now they are yellow in CC'S. i never thought of getting them both. i think you may have turned a light on in some of the old re-loaders, me for one.

Boolit Buddy

I have the old black set with the chart. Says 1966 on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180128_070725.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast