RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: What's up with my rifle.

Boolit Buddy

What's up with my rifle.

Picked up a 94 Big Bore Winchester a few months ago and finally got time to work up some loads. Was becoming very frustrated because I was getting 10" groups at 100 yards with all different loads. They seem to be stringing horizontally.
    I finally discovered that if I let the barrel cool down between each shot, the groups would shrink to about 3". (acceptable with my eyes)
    Anyone have any Idea what I can do to rectify this ?

I think you're going to have to tinker with it and maybe try a couple of closely related things. The problem could be in the bedding of the fore stock. As the barrel heats and expands it may press against an area of the stock's barrel channel, a problem you could relieve by either free floating the barrel so it doesn't touch the wood, or by full length glass bedding the fore stock so that pressure will remain constant. Try the free floating first. Second, the problem may lie with the barrel band. Once again, it's a matter of contact and pressure. First thing to check, is the screw tight.
    That having been said, most rifles will have a group difference between a cold and hot barrel, but stringing is usually related to one or both of the above.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I think you're going to have to tinker with it and maybe try a couple of closely related things. The problem could be in the bedding of the fore stock. As the barrel heats and expands it may press against an area of the stock's barrel channel, a problem you could relieve by either free floating the barrel so it doesn't touch the wood, or by full length glass bedding the fore stock so that pressure will remain constant. Try the free floating first. Second, the problem may lie with the barrel band. Once again, it's a matter of contact and pressure. First thing to check, is the screw tight.
    That having been said, most rifles will have a group difference between a cold and hot barrel, but stringing is usually related to one or both of the above.
    I was thinking along the same lines as you. Just not sure how to free float the fore stock without making at a rattling mess

Boolit Master
    4th post on this old thread has a list of articles that might be useful.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uilt-lever-gun
    Last edited by rking22; 11-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos