Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1884 Trapdoor? Let it ROAR, Let it Roar, Let it Roar. First BPCR experiences

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!

Cool 1884 Trapdoor? Let it ROAR, Let it Roar, Let it Roar. First BPCR experiences

After a 2 month wait got my hands on my Trapdoor and following advice from this forum took it out for the first time today.
    Had 50 BP loads and a couple of accomplices (husband and wife) who had never shot BP before. One, the husband very disinterested. "I am not interested. I only like modern firearms " he said.
    His wife was keen as mustard. Had a shot out of the Lyman Great Plains. Husband had a 223.
    Wifey damn near left him for the Kentucky rifle. She was all giggles and video clips (Davy Crockett gun now on the xmas list). Him? Mah not interested. I am not buying one. It won't fit in the safe! He had a new ss 22 savage.
    Shot the Marlin 27S, shot the Marlin 39A, shot the 1895, the Win 92 and the Remington 25. Wifey happy. Hubby mah....

And then!
    And then!!
    And then she ROARED! The 1884 let out a roar and a cloud of acrid smoke. The dust cloud that resulting from the bullet strike could have enveloped a truck!
    And I now know the feeling of where has this been all my life? I am hooked!
    And so was wifey. I think we went through about 30 rounds.
    Hubby is asked wanna shot? "Yeah I suppose" he answered "Is it safe?" "Not if your a buffalo." I replied

Wifey watched as he chambered a round and videoed his glee as 1 after the other was chambered.
    She says it was the happiest she has seen him. Like a kid with a new toy.

Oh Happy days for all! Already planning next trip.
    And I never had to wipe the barrel.
    Cleanup was great. I only needed about 6 patches.
    Have not touched the shells yet. That will have to be tomorrow.

All is good in the world.

Please tell me about your first Black powder experiences?

Banned

very cool indeed - congrats!

but do attend that brass ASAP, or at least leave it dunked in some soapy water!

Boolit Master
    I remember the first black powder round that I fired about 1955 or 56. I was at a friends house where his father and his fathers friend were getting ready to shoot a model 1874 Sharps in 50-70. They had purchased 20 rounds of original ammunition from a guy in New York. They snapped several rounds with none going off. They offered to let us boys try one shot each. I'm sure they expected the same result, snap but no BANG. WOW, everybody jumped when mine actually fired, the only one out of the 20 that did. I was given the empty case and I still have it. That started the passion for old guns that continues to this day.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I've only played with black powder substitutes a little bit. Someday soon I WILL get some real stuff. As a friend of mine described it "a whole lot of smoke, a whole lot of fire, and a whole lot of noise" It just don't get much better than that.

You got something started
    rfd is right. Take care of your cases as well as the rifle.
    If you can't get at the cases when you get home for a day or so or when your on the road at least put them in a zip lock bag and squeeze out the air or a air tight container.
    This will keep the moisture from working on the fouling and edge the brass.

Boolit Master
    Hi Lawrence!

Thanks for sharing your experience, and asking about others' first BP adventures...
    I worked up to BP by firing light loads of smokeless (4198 and then 5744) in my guns, notably my 1868 Springfield (genuine, real .515" .50-70!).
    I use a 350 grain Spencer mould that drops about .518", which I then size and lubricate.
    Loads tend to be recommended starting weights or just over.
    Those went well, other than having position issues with the 4198.
    Using a filler (TP) helped, but wasn't the best thing, so I gravitated to the 5744.
    That worked quite well (no filler needed, so no danger of ringing a chamber).
    Then I loaded up several shells with 70 grains of KIK 1.5F: It was simply amazing when I touched the first one off!
    There was this hellacious BOOM and very, very loud report.
    Then there was a reflection off of the woods, off the buildings, and this went back and forth several times, most impressive!
    Suffice to say, EVERYONE within hearing distance knew that a BP rifle had been fired!
    Truly a fun experience... Recoil was quite tolerable with both the light smokeless and BP loadings...
    I'm saving up for an 1873 Springfield... Had a "near miss" at the LGS: Saw an affordable 1873 on the rack, and the initial evaluation was good.
    When I went back to take a much closer look, I saw that the last 3" or so of the rifling had been scrubbed away (the rest was in great shape).
    I'm looking for a shooter, not a wall hanger, so I politely handed the rifle back, thanked the shop owner for letting me look at it, and walked away.
    Still looking, will eventually find the right one. Enjoy yours!

-Tom

Tom a lot of those rifles with the 3" scrubbed out is from improper use of the cleaning rod. That could make a really fine what I call a chopper. cut down to a carbine and they will shoot just fine.
    I would go back to the shop and tell them what you see as an issue and make a fair offer.
    I have shot choppers and they shoot just fine and look good also if the stock and trigger guard is worked over and a front sight soldered on, not using a dove tail like I see a lot.
    I would have no reservations if I saw one with a bad muzzle and get it at a fair price.
    Kurt

Boolit Master
    Kurt,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!
    I was wondering if the barrel could be cut down and not look too out of place...
    Yes, I figured someone got way too aggressive with a cleaning rod!
    That poor gun could definitely be the poster child for aggravated careless use of cleaning rods...
    Not sure if he'd deal or not. I'll consider the possibility, but then I would have to price what the job would cost.
    Another possibility would be to have the bore relined.
    I saw the Tradoor Collector had several like that for sale, but the prices were hellacious!
    If I was going to spend $1300-1600 on a TD, I'd do that on a very high grade original, not a relined rifle.
    Makes me wonder if there was something special about the person that did the reline job (they stated the barrels are OK for modern jacketed bullets), or if it's just that expensive to have the job done (I can't imagine it would be several hundred dollars for a reline).

-Tom

Boolit Master
    If it can be bought at the right price have it lined. Done properly it will shoot great and it wont show on the outside and will preserve it more like it was when made. I'm getting much more conservative about modifying old guns as they're only original once and the more of them that we preserve I think the better it is. Just think about all the cut down military rifles you see today.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Tom,
    Here is my chopper, bottom one. I saw this in a Pawn shop that has several rifles usually and I asked what he needed for it and he said $250 plus tax. I didn't try to bargain with him for that price even it was a chopper. The bore was perfect, only three little pits in the throat but the rest was clean. That rifle off the bench at 100 yards will hold 2" with a full load of 1F and a Lyman postal bullet. The serial number puts that rifle with the 10th PA Infantry.
    My intend when I bought the rifle was to pull the barrel and fit a .40-65 on the action and restock it but it shot so well I left it as it is.

Attachment 251715

"Is it safe?" "Not if your a buffalo." I replied"

That made me giggle.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Elk Hunter and Lead Pot,

Thanks for your posts! I'd also jump on the sporterized Trapdoor for $250 in a heartbeat!
    My 1868 Springfield was sporterized, but the price was right. Barrel is OK, but the stock was substantially cut down.
    If I got the wallowed out 1873, I'd probably reline it. Agree on leaving it as original looking as possible!
    I checked, and it looks like about $250 for a liner, plus whatever the work costs and the shipping.
    Unles I could talk the shop owner down into the $250-300 range, it's a dead issue.

Tom that was back in the last century when I got it LOL.
    I don't think you can find a action for that price now.

Boolit Master
    I was in Alaska during fire season this year, and spotted an 1886 TD in a gun shop: Price was $400, but it was a Frankengun!
    The stock was bad, the sights were some modern kluge, it was a mess.
    The bore, however, was absolutely pristine!
    It was basically good only for a barreled action, so I passed on it.
    Last edited by Tom Herman; 11-25-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    We told you so The first time shooting BP in a trapdoor is almost a religious experience. Be sure to clean your brass as soon as possible when you're done shooting you can put the empties in a container with soapy water or white vinegar for the ride home and that will kill the salts .

Yup... You've done it. Now it's time to start contemplating all the other really, really cool BPCR offerings. You'll definitely NEED a Peabody and a Werndl, maybe a Snider too. Needham conversion of a Bridesburg Musket? Absolutely....you'll need one of those too.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I shoot my trapdoor with a Lee 457-405-F 70gr. pyrodexRS by vol , cast slug weighs 412 gr. powder coated, measures 459.5 . Smoke and loud boom get the attention of all on the line. impact on steel sounds like a large hammer. lots of fun wife loves it , she has her own 45-70 in a lever action.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    They are addictive. I plead guilty to owning four now! This is one I built up from a trashed out old movie gun.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rebirth/page2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003-002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	251939
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    We told you so The first time shooting BP in a trapdoor is almost a religious experience. Be sure to clean your brass as soon as possible when you're done shooting you can put the empties in a container with soapy water or white vinegar for the ride home and that will kill the salts .
    I use Starline nickel in the trapdoor. First to distinguish from the Marlin loads and secondly hoping it will help with corrosion. I cleaned and reloaded them next morning so all good.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    They are addictive. I plead guilty to owning four now! This is one I built up from a trashed out old movie gun.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rebirth/page2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003-002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	251939
    That is awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast