RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble With A CZ 527

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Found some of my old posts with before and after groups and how i prepped my rifle for glassing

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...my-ruger-77-44

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...man-devastator

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Once a gun is shooting well...best not to dink around with it.

BTW, my first bedding job was on an old Anschutz and boy was I nervous. Used Accraglas and paste wax as the release agent; and it came out fine. Cut my groups size by about 50%. The stock was very rough and had cracked between the magazine and trigger. That was 40 years ago and the old girl still shoots well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    “Consistency = Accuracy. One doesn't exist without the other.”

That’s for sure!

Besides handloading and shooting as a hobby, I also mentor shooters into becoming handloaders.

One of my “students” is my oldest nephew. I helped him find a 300 RUM for his elk rifle as he is hunting in Montana (going to Montana State) and is into long range. He began to understand what all the jazz was about when he witnessed his groups shrink over 50% of handloads he assembled compared to his factory ammo.

Much of my shooting revolves around coyote hunting. I also hunt general varmints, for fun and as an extension (practice) to hunting coyotes. It was not a leap of faith in my opinion to extend various practices discovered and honed in the pursuit of coyotes and varmints over into loading ammo for larger than normal cartridges or in seeking improvements upon those guns.

Casting for me was first seen as an ends to a means. In handguns it was logical to create my own bullets to save money for practice. Little did I know that casting would become more central to firing handguns in their end use than jacketed. Save money and achieve better terminal performance? Who would have thunk it?

But it all comes around full circle .... if you invest more time to research a matter and practice it, you get more out of it.

My brother’s friends come to the ranch to practice with their rifles prior to hunting season. There are several that handload. I snoop around their stuff and offer advice. Some look at me when I call out a practice that would assist them in their ammo creation like I just fell out of a banana tree and others take note.

An example: There sits a 50 round block of 7 Rem Mag handloads. There are 2 maybe 3 different head stamps! Now the guy is blazing away with too warm of a barrel and he gets neither of my objections! He has to fire a bunch because he has not hit like he wants too but he has no time listen to someone with much more accuracy experience than he has.

My youngest nephew, brother to the 300 RUM shooter is of the opinion that the big guns do not benefit from handloading as much as varmint calibers and that you do not need the added accuracy there anyway.

Well he has not met my Rem 700 SS manufactured in 2004 that puts the Speer 145 BT Spitzer into .460” for three shots three times in a row ..... nor is he a seasoned shooter enough to reason that CONFIDENCE is invaluable in long range work.

Browning used a worthy phrase in their rifle adds for the BAR when I was a kid: “Accuracy that won’t alibi”

Best regards and thanks

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-12-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Once a gun is shooting well...best not to dink around with it.

BTW, my first bedding job was on an old Anschutz and boy was I nervous. Used Accraglas and paste wax as the release agent; and it came out fine. Cut my groups size by about 50%. The stock was very rough and had cracked between the magazine and trigger. That was 40 years ago and the old girl still shoots well.
    Hello Don,

Yes, as to the 204 I will just fully correct the overly long screw issue and take my lessened learned to heart and make sure that my 527 in 223 is not suffering from this same fate.

I plan on messing with a rifle that I am not as worried about, a Mossberg 342 (?) in 22 rimfire and see how that turns out with glass bedding.

A side note: That CZ 527 in 204 printed .185” for three shots at 100 yds. The next charge at .1 gr. more (Max) measured .205”

I have not switched out the washers yet. It is still red necked!

Thanks and best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Rescued a bubba special. 1903A3 with cruddy barrel and fajen stock. Over a period of about a year I found a nos new A3 barrel, lyman steel 57 rear sight. Took the whole mess down to bare metal and the smith installed the new bbl. Then sanded and polished all the metal work. Smith charged me about $250 including the D&T for the rear sight and a nice Redfield banded front sight. The Fajen stock was saveable so did glass bed it before refinishing the wood. Usually about 2" at 100 yds. Also saved the buttstock on a Marlin 444 which started cracking do to poor inletting.Did a Savage 110FP in 308 as the el cheapo rynite stock flexed too much. Mixed up the acra glass gel and using pop sticks fed it into the stock where the front receiver ring is. From 3" to 3/4" with some 7.62x51 Lake City National Match. Took the buttplate off and stuffed plastic freezer bag in with the mouth open. In went a bunch of lead shot sealed it off with duct tape. With the heavy lead weighted stock shots were more consistent. Shot way better than my Rem 700 Sendero in the same caliber. Frank

I’ve got a 300 and 375 RUM. Bought both around 1999 or 2000 era when they first arrived to the scene. I got into reloading the same year. I’ve never got better than .5” groups with my 300 RUM even with an HS prescion stock and timney trigger on it set at 1.5lbs. To be honest I never really put any time into load testing except for 125 grain ballistic tips that shot half inch groups at 3950 ft./s. That gun heats up the barrel so bad on the third shot my group opens up. I even had it cryogenically treated. I shot a pronghorn with it at 1000 yards... Just to say I did. Other than that 99.9% of everything else that I’ve harvested with it has been within bow range. Ive harvested two Black bear with it and one 10 pointer. One bear dropped stone cold dead with a 180 grain swift scirocco and the other bear did a somersault with the 200 grain partition. That 7 foot two Boar went about 40 yards after a double lung shot and let out about eight or nine gurgling death moans and was kicking brush all over the place while it expired. I sure wish that gun had about a 16 inch barrel and no optic when I went to look for that bear on the dark. lol The deer I shot was with 180 grain ballistic tip I load it up. It was running directly underneath my tree stand and I think I burnt the hair off its back from the fire coming out of my muzzle. Literally there was a spot on its back missing here where I shot it. It was so close all I could see was a brown blurr in my scope. The deer of course dropped instantly at the shot and it looked like a bomb went off inside of it and literally wrecked half the deer. My buddy shot a really small black bear with the same load I’ve never seen so much blood come out of a bear. We were hunting with hounds at the time. He dropped the bear out of the tree with one shot and blood came shooting out both sides of its lungs like a garden hoses cranked at full throttle and also its mouth at the same time. It couldn’t get back up but lifted it front half up with its front legs and was making the death moans so he quickly finished it off with another shot.

I’ve shot two deer with the 375 RUM with a max load pushing a 260 grain Accu bond. One deer dropped with a double longshot and then got up and ran 100 yards down the hill. The other one with the double longshot acted like it wasn’t even hit and ran almost a 100 yards before dropping. Too hard of a bullet that just zipped right through them like an arrow....and just like my first cast boolit experience on deer last year using way to hard of an alloy with zero expansion. I have shot many deer with a very small calibers that drop deer like lightning compared to my 375. They always say the 375 is used to stop charging brown bears and dangerous game in Africa... After I shot two deer in the Lungs broadside and they both ran 100 yards I sure would think there’s better options out there to trust your life on. I’m sure it was my bullet choice and not the caliber causing the zero energy transfer imo. I did shoot a rabbit with a 260 grain ballistic tip full throttle. It blew the rabbit itself 15 yards up in the air and away from where I shot it. It was completely gutted and the gut pile was laying where it originally shot it and the heart was still beating in it, Nasty! Quick cleaning. Nosler needs to start making those again.

Both guns are basically safe Queens now.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-13-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    There is a fine line between having a RUM grenade an animal and efficiently kill it. Factor in short range vs long range and bullet placement and it’s construction play a big part.

My nephew shot an elk broadside with his 300 RUM at say 150 yds broadside with a 180 partition but did not factor a quartering shot. The slug struck the far shoulder and basically destroyed it. The handload was set at half way between a 300 Win Mag and a Weatherby 300 in power.

The following year he hunted Montana but was using the heaviest 30 cal Barnes TTSX in a factory load. Hit and dropped a bull at about 500 yds? and dropped him cleanly. He is quite impressed with the Barnes bullets.

Do you suppose the RUM’s are so fast that the super hypersonic projectiles partially cauterize as they pass through? Lol!

If the RUM’s are not fast enough how about this: I play with Savage rifles some and one of my long actions is wearing a Savage stainless varmint weight barrel that has been reamed from 25-06 out to the 257 STW. This is the 7 mm STW necked down to 25 caliber. I have more work to do with this one but was working with the 100 Nosler ballistic tip. Not for game mind you but coyotes.

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-13-2019 at 03:19 AM.

Yeah, imo with the right bullet that 300 RUM acts the same way on big game as a 70 grain ballistic tip out of my 243 dose on a coyote if hitting bone. Instant death but holes you can clap your hands in. I shot another and will put that 125 brain ballistic tip at 200 yards. I could’ve threw a tomato soup can through the whole. I actually saw daylight through the pronghorn before it hit the ground.

Boolit Master
    Triplebeards,

You might want to dust off your RUM’s and look at those Barnes j-words. My nephew was seriously impressed with the way his TTSX performed on his nearly 500 yd bull he harvested last year.

Three44s

Boolit Bub
    I have a 452 that often won’t eject spent cases; hammer though accuracy wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Update:

I had the barreled action out of the stock a few days ago and finished floating the barrel. No other work. No bedding or pillaging, just final floating as the barrel was brushing against one side of the inside stock channel.

I have always done this work by hand but this time I tried something different. I used my small hand held belt sander. It runs a belt 1/2” x 18” long. Real handy for tight places and great on wood or metal. I had the side of the barrel channel where I wanted it in no time! Smooth too.

I reinstalled the barreled action into the just refloated stock and went back to 100 yds.

Put 2 rounds right on the money. No scope adjustments necessary.

I am having a bit of cartridge hang ups with my washer trick (magazine rides lower) due to some bullet tips catching the upper side of the chamber entrance however. Shortening the screw or chasing the threads on the existing one is going to be needed to cap off this phase of the project.

Color me happy!

Three44s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12