MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .475 Linebaugh

Banned

.475 Linebaugh

I have hunted deer and hogs for nearly 20 years with a stable of .44 SBH's

Am pondering picking up a BFR in .475 . Was hpoing for some insight on loads that have been used and tested in the field for this caliber.

Boolit Master
    Check out Max Prazac's book on big bore revolvers. He has several BFR's & has used them extensively on some really big animals both here & in Africa. You'll like it. You can just Google Max Prazac & I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Dick

I have a 7 1/2 inch BFR in .475 Linebaugh and shoot an Accurate Molds 48-395BG with H110. Chronographed velocity is at 1380 fps. I've taken 6 whitetails with it so far and is my favorite deer gun. The only DRT was a spine shot on a buck at 115 yds. from a less than stable shooting position. All the rest were double lung shots from about 65 yds. to 100 yds. and they ran for around 40 yds. and dropped.

Boolit Buddy
    No hunting experience with 475L. Have an older JT Model BFR. Tom at Accurate Molds designed a 48-420B bullet. With the crimp groove to match the BFR cylinder length. I load it behind 14.0 of HS 6, with the 420B. Very good mid power load. This load shoots extremely well. Miha from MP Molds recently completed a Group Buy run of a 477-640 350 grain HP. Overruns are available at his online store. Miha’s molds are a work of Art!
    As Sixgun stated above, Max’s Book is a wealth of knowledge. John Linebaugh also has loading data available online.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 11-11-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: I dislike auto correct

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 475 in a Encore platform with a 9.5" Mgm barrel
    have yet to kill anything with it however it will at some point
    I use a Mountain Molds boolit and most of the others already described
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I dont have a 475 Linebaugh but I do have and shoot the 480 Ruger. Both hit like big hammers with either Accurate or MP molds.
    Actually my Accurate 420gr pill came to me used from Mr. White Eagle.
    Its been a great bullet!
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 11-11-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    No hunting experience with 475L. Have an older JT Model BFR. Tom at Accurate Molds designed a 48-420B bullet. With the crimp groove to match the BFR cylinder length. I load it behind 14.0 of HS 6, with the 420B. Very good mid power load. This load shoots extremely well. Miha from MP Molds recently completed a Group Buy run of a 477-640 350 grain HP. Overruns are available at his online store. Miha’s molds are a work of Art!
    As Sixgun stated above, Max’s Book is a wealth of knowledge. John Linebaugh also has loading data available online.
    Rick
    I appreciate it fellas.

I took a doe last weekend. First deer Ive taken in about 6 years. Mainly shoot hogs and just want something different. My eyes are going to hell in a hurry it seems.

I have a sbh hunter 44 with a 4x Leupold on it that I hate. I used my shorter barrel and irons on the doe at 65 yards.
    Scope has to go. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of "44man". He was a crotchety old cuss but a wealth of knowledge.....and I see that he is banned. I haven't been on in several years.

He was always pushing on me to use a red dot set up and I would not listen. Anyone know how to get ahold of him or what his set up was? I know he used them on .44s, .475, and some other weapon and was quite successful with them. Like him or not, the dude knew his stuff.
    Thanks in advance,

Colby

Jack weigand makes several different configurations of rails for every kind of ruger revolver imaginable. I can attest to the quality. I have them with different red dots on several revolvers. My favorite red dot is an ultradot match ll. I use them on all my hunting revolvers. Google weigand and take your pick.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    I can tell you that the Ultra dots will
    not take the 475 Linebaugh recoil
    rite after I bought the barrel for my
    Encore I put on a new Ultra dot and it ate
    it and another one so I gave up on them
    It's strange because I have had them on some
    heavy recoiling rifles and never a problem
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I can tell you that the Ultra dots will
    not take the 475 Linebaugh recoil
    rite after I bought the barrel for my
    Encore I put on a new Ultra dot and it ate
    it and another one so I gave up on them
    It's strange because I have had them on some
    heavy recoiling rifles and never a problem
    That is strange as everyone was praising them on .475 and .500s a few years back.

Was also a fella that went by the name Whitworth on here. I see he hasnt logged in for several years as well.

This is the first I have ever heard of any problems with an ultradot. I have one on a 480 ruger and have had no problems at all. I have also read many stories of people using them on 460,475,500jrh,and 500s&w, all with no problems.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    This is the first I have ever heard of any problems with an ultradot. I have one on a 480 ruger and have had no problems at all. I have also read many stories of people using them on 460,475,500jrh,and 500s&w, all with no problems.
    What model of Ultradot? I'm pretty sure thats the brand they all used.

I have the 30mm matchdot ll. Whitworth is Max Prasac, a well known gun writer and tv show host. If you have prime video, you can watch his show “Big Iron”. On this show you will see him shooting all the big bores with ultradots.

I don't recall the model Ultra Dot but 44man swore by them. Whitworth hangs out on the SingleAction forum.

Boolit Master
    I've had 2 of the Ultra Dots & they held up very well on 44 magnums. I got rid of them but not because they weren't good, it was because out here in the west I needed some magnification so I went back to Leupold scopes.
    Max & some of his friends have used them on 480's, 375's & 500's for quite a while now & as far as I know they've had great success with them. Not sure which Ultra Dot they are using but I think he might come along & fill you in.

Dick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I've had 2 of the Ultra Dots & they held up very well on 44 magnums. I got rid of them but not because they weren't good, it was because out here in the west I needed some magnification so I went back to Leupold scopes.
    Max & some of his friends have used them on 480's, 375's & 500's for quite a while now & as far as I know they've had great success with them. Not sure which Ultra Dot they are using but I think he might come along & fill you in.

Dick
    Hope so

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I have the 30mm matchdot ll. Whitworth is Max Prasac, a well known gun writer and tv show host. If you have prime video, you can watch his show “Big Iron”. On this show you will see him shooting all the big bores with ultradots.
    Will check it out. Had no idea. Sent him a p.m. but see he hasnt been on since 2012, if ai am reading correctly.

Boolit Master
    Another shooter of the 480 here (no experience with the 475 however). One thing that differs between Contender and revolvers is the lack of the cylinder gap. The single shot contains the pressure and thus would recoil more convincingly.

I celebrate that a member has mentioned a mid range field load using HS-6 in a 475, thank you sir!

The 480/475 family of HG cartridges is a very capable one. If you handload you save a lot of money but also get so very much more enjoyment and usefulness out of them.. Cast and you are taking that up several more notches!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master
    yes i had one as well on a 480 Super Redhawk and on a BFR 475
    that I got rid of
    that one held up and it was awhile ago when both Max and Jim were
    both here claiming the glories of the Ultra Dot
    however these last purchases were of a newer generation of Ultra Dots
    not sure if they changed something or the Encore is just to much of a good thing
    I to went to a Leupold scope
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Check out Max Prazac's book on big bore revolvers. He has several BFR's & has used them extensively on some really big animals both here & in Africa. You'll like it. You can just Google Max Prazac & I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Dick
    I picked up his hardback book while perusing Ollie's which is a new store to me. Glad I looked as it is a good read. There is no denying his experience.

I love the shortened version, ala, 480 Ruger. It does everything I need done and satisfies my need for a "big bore". I have not had the opportunity to use it on game, but have no doubt it would work on anything in the USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast