RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: 7mm-30 Waters vs 7mm-30 Waters Improved

Boolit Bub

7mm-30 Waters vs 7mm-30 Waters Improved

When fire forming my .30-30 Winchester cases into 7-30 Waters I had a bit of a surprise. See the attached photo of a fired case vs a full-length resized cartridge. I suspect the rifle barrel for my Contender was re-chambered to an Improved cartridge without the barrel being re-stamped. Can anyone visually confirm this?

My Cartridges of the World book seems to validate this based on the photos in the book.

Second question. Assuming I am correct, will a standard 7-30 Waters neck-sizing die perform the same as an Improved neck-sizing die? All reloads will be in a single Contender barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F90CDB6A-F6BB-4EDF-A98B-DDF505FD56EB.jpeg  

Boolit Grand Master

The neck looks to be to short for an AI.

Some specs. here https://www.chuckhawks.com/7-30Waters_Imp.htm
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Looks like the 7mm cartridge that gary reeder made/touted for contenders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Looks like the 7mm cartridge that gary reeder made/touted for contenders.
    I think you nailed it.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...sl/print_topic

https://www.reedercustomguns.com/inf...cartridges.htm
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Lets go with the GNR assumption for a moment. How do you reload it? Where do you get the dies? If its a custom die set for $160+ I will return the $230 barrel that was mismarked. I do not mind a $50 problem but I do not need another project gun.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you'll get lucky and can neck size it with 7-30 die or a 7mm08 , flipping short neck tho! Case has very little taper,maybe a 30/30AI will size the body. CH4D might have a similar die reasonably priced. Happy searching. Best i can tell you for now. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

Wow thats a short neck!!

Yea I agree its def not a “factory” chamber! :

I like the lil Waters! I havent replaced mine yet. This last spring, I sold off a 30/30 to help fund it and it hasnt happened yet.

I made brass from 375 Winchester cases for mine.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I spoke to the owner at Reeder guns and he was very informative. If it was a GNR cartridge the dies are $125. It could be done but I would have to send barrel to confirm chambering. With the time and money it starts to become a project.

Reeder did indicate case life would be longer due to headspacing on the shoulder, 300 fps faster, form from .30-30 Winchester, and indicated that short neck was not a problem (.375 Winchester and .38-55 would decrease internal volume).

My two cents, factory cartridges exist for a reason. If this cartridge was on the cutting edge I think we would see it more. The GNR predates the 7-30 Waters by three years. If I need more 7mm power, the 7mm-08 or 7mm Magnum are called for calling for an Encore. Making a break action light magnum without factory printed and SAAMI support seems an unnecessary risk.

Called seller and they are a class act and will refund me. I will let them take on the project if they desire.

Boolit Master
    Was that a pistol or carbine barrel? A carbine would be a little deer stomper.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Bub
    Carbine barrel. Highly effective yes but looking for semi-custom wildcat, not full-on project. If I need a true deer stomper I have bigger guns and calibers. Our 100-150 lb deer in SC do not require significant firepower.

As a side note, my understanding is the Contender (particularly G1) is known for stretching if you get too wild with the energy and pressure.

Boolit Bub
    As a future note for anyone else reading this, Reeder confirmed that a standard neck-sizing die would push the 7mm GNR shoulder back if used.

Boolit Master
    Hornady makes universal neck sizer dies based on caliber. With that tiny neck I'd want specific dies though.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle