WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Filled my last doe tag on my birthday today, with a cast boolit in a vintage firearm!

Boolit Master

Filled my last doe tag on my birthday today, with a cast boolit in a vintage firearm!

I think I had posted on here I wanted to fill my last tag with my original Trapdoor, made in 1884. I also used a 350gr Lyman/Gould HP I cast with 15 grs of Unique behind it. It was a 60 yd offhand shot, hit a little high due to shooting up at a steep angle. Went thru both shoulders, and the spine, DRT. I must confess to being a little concerned about the loads effectiveness, but I needed not have worried. The bullet performed perfectly, and I am a happy camper. I will be gifting this doe to a needy family down the road from me, I have it all boned out and iced down till tomorrow. This has been my easiest year of deer hunting in my 57 years, 5 trips and 4 deer down. The wife also killed a nice doe in ML season, and we have 4 already in the freezer. This was the high light of my season, getting a deer with the Trapdoor. I will see if I can get some pics posted here and in the CB Hunting forum. Just though I would share.

Boolit Master

Fantastic; what a way to close the season!! This season is proving a difficult one for me; lots of deer but. No shot opportunity; and had trouble with dogs chasing deer at best stand location. I’ve had easier seasons but none like your 4 for 5 ! Glad you kept us posted!
    Last edited by nagantguy; 11-10-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Good shooting, Amigo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Koger,
    Great story and a chance to use the Old Warrior. Happy Birthday to you as well! Ed

Boolit Bub
    Good job! It is a challenge to shoot on a steep grade as the bullet knows only horizontal trajectory. I hope to harvest deer with my old Remington RB in 43 Spanish. Heavy bullets have a whole lot going for them.

Congratulations on a successful hunt, and with a wonderful old single shot! Does it get any better than that!

Awesome report. Just want ta say happy B day and congrats on a great hunting season.

Boolit Master

Good going. I took one Monday as well in Todd County. The gun was a parts gun made from a 1871 Swedish Roller in 40-65. I used home made BP though along with a 325gr cast boolit.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Boz 330, that is one sweet looking roller. Did the wood come from Treebone? We need to get together some time and shoot some rifles. I think I am about 3 hours from you, I live 2 hours from Bowling Green. Are there any good gunshops/pawn shops in your area.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Boz 330, that is one sweet looking roller. Did the wood come from Treebone? We need to get together some time and shoot some rifles. I think I am about 3 hours from you, I live 2 hours from Bowling Green. Are there any good gunshops/pawn shops in your area.
    Yes it is. He took good care of me on that stock. I have 3 rifles with stocks from Treebone. The one above and these 2.
    KY Gun Company is real close. It has more guns than any shop I've been to. I shoot USPSA matches there on occasion in their indoor range.
    My deer hunting area is about 10 miles from Ft Campbell, been hunting down there since 77.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357 Martini 001.jpg   357 Martini 003.jpg   Small frame Martini 001.jpg   Small frame Martini 003.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Koger, you hit a soft spot in me with your story about the Trapdoor. I have promised myself to walk the woods with a Trapdoor any year I had already collected at least 2 deer, and let the luck follow me with a 45-70. Am half way there now, going out again this weekend and hoping to open the mandate for an old-timer's reunion.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations great birthday !

Next year work your way up to one with legs.