Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What boolit for a 1 in 12 twist for my 35 Whelen?

Boolit Master

The FCD is a collet style crimp. Case length is no matter. I like them, but not for everything.

A Taper crimp works well for me if I feel the need but not many offered For rifle cases. Generally The M die, when properly adjusted, dosent Leave a large bell. You only wanna open the case enough for the heel Of the bullet to fit. Any more is over working your brass.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Thanks for the tip. I was getting nervous because when I went to order that dye from leave last night I put it in my cart and then I procrastinated and tried to Google it to see if I could find it cheaper at a retailer instead of direct. I went back on their site and they said they were out of stock!!!... But my cart still said one so I place the order and they said they shipped it today and gave me a tracking number. I would assume somebody wanted it made and never paid for it? They said it was a custom size overrun. I’ve only been loading for pistol bullets the last two years out of the 25 years of reloading everything else is been rifle so I’m still pretty green in my crimp styles. I found this out when I went to shoot my 77/44 loads that were 5/6” plus at 100 yards the first couple of times at the range. I then ordered that factory crimp Collett die in my average group shrunk to under 2 inches with cast with my best be in .6 and .8 with two different loads. For a green pea like me I think that Collett crimped I really helps. As far as my 450 bushmaster I use the hornady factory taper crimp on that. I would assume I can’t get away without a crimp on the 450 bushmaster? Never tried it but I would assume my boolits would shift with the extra rounds in the mag from recoil.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-14-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The collet crimp die works great for what you want to do. It's what I use whenever possible. It can close the brass as you want no problem, or you can put a serious crimp on it, or anywhere in between.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12