Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Recommendations Please- Long range

Boolit Mold

Scope Recommendations Please- Long range

Just picked up a Tikka T3X TAC-A1 6.5mm Creedmoor 24″ Barrel Precision Rifle. Looking for a good long-range scope. I will be shooting up to about 1000m. Any suggestions?

Boolit Buddy
    Your budget needs to be known to narrow down suggestions. For reasonable priced glass I really like my 6.5-20 power Burris scopes $220 tyd. My highest end scopes are Leupolds and yes they are a little clearer at dawn and dust than my Burris’s of equal power. I never jumped on the vortex wagon. They are priced similar to Leupold and not made in USA. I have a couple 20 power Nikon monarchs with fine crosshairs I bought used that clarity wise fall between the Leupolds and Burris’s. I prefer the fine crosshairs when shooting to 1000. I have friends with vortex scopes that prefer my nikons. I don’t have enough experience with scopes of higher quality than these above to make any recommendations.

Boolit Grand Master

Need to know budget before suggestions can be made. Yes, quality glass costs, but your time and energy, ammo expenditure is also important.

Boolit Grand Master

For long range clarity is not your major concern tracking is. Good tracking scopes tend to start at about $1,000.00 and go up from there. Your need and budget will determine what your options are.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/...opes-pros-use/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-10-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If your budget allows Night Force is one of the best but-they’re not cheap. I shoot 1000 yds with a 5 X 20 Nikon. I also use a Vortex HS and a Vortex first focal plane at 1000 yds. At a know distance you can use apps to dial in your numbers after applying weather and wind conditions. My Vortex scopes have been less than $400 and have served me well but I’m just a casual shooter and not a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by hawke View Post
    Just picked up a Tikka T3X TAC-A1 6.5mm Creedmoor 24″ Barrel Precision Rifle. Looking for a good long-range scope. I will be shooting up to about 1000m. Any suggestions?
    Athlon Argos 6-24x50 would be a better option for this purpose. It has a great review from here: https://ioutdoorpursuit.com/long-range-rifle-scope/
    Lots of elevation adjustments available and illuminated too. Mystic Precision in Summerland BC stocks it.

There's a sign over the door in an Automotive Machine Shop in my town, It says,,,

"Speed Costs Money,,, How fast do you want to go?"

It applies to many things.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Schmidt and Bender

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Schmidt and Bender
    you're going to get the bsa and leapers fans all upset. LOL with no budget id tend to lean that way myself. a budget is really needed to give advice on optics. im a nightforce guy myself, and for one with a little extra money to burn an NXS is a great scope, for slightly smaller budgets, the SHV does 95% of what the NXS does.

No doubt, if you do not want to spend a lot of money, you can ask SWFA for one of your scopes. Already the 10X42 is suitable for what you want to do.
    If I could buy it from Argentina, I would do it without a doubt. The next line the HD I have seen and have very good lenses. I recommend you in the foreground and then you will decide whether a thousand dot or a milirad. I am more familiar in the metric system, so it serves me more in miliradians.
    For 300 Us dollars come into the game.

Boolit Grand Master

With out naming any brands. And as said with out a budget to work in. Naming a cope is almost imposible. So....

Things to look for are 1) parallax adjustment, you need to be able to set parallax to the range so head position / changes don't affect impact.
    2) power / magnification, this can be a blessing or a curse depending on conditions. to much and mirage becomes an issue to little and fine alignment becomes harder. Also as magnification foes up eye relief gets smaller.
    3) Eye relief, Here you want enough to use in all positions from bench to prone
    4) adjustments, target turrets and fine adjustments are a plus when correcting for wind light temp humidity. Repeatability is also important. Easily readable graduations. 1/4 min re good and a lot use these 1/8 moa are finer but a lot more adjusting running wind. 1/4 moa is 2.5" per click at 1000yds 1/8" is 1.25" at 1000yds.

I used a lepould 6.5-20 long range scope for 1000yds. This was on a fast twist 243. Depending on conditions some days would be turned down around 12X due to mirage and weather. On good days I could use it a the full 20X. Parallax also varied slightly from match to match. This scope did great all around service for me .

Most overlook the mounting system on a long range set up. This is almost as important as he scope is to reliable ease and function. a bridge mount properly mounted and with 20 moa built in to it will help a lot in the it will have the crosshairs closer to center at longer ranges and make the lenses clearer. The mount needs to be solid strong and stable. It needs to position the scope in the right place. and if shooting matches needs to be repeatable so when going from Iron to scope the scope can be mounted reliably when the time comes.
    My 243s scope rail is set up with 20 moa in it a mount for the aperture rear sight and cross bolt alignment slots. the scope and rear sight repeat under 1/2 moa.

Boolit Grand Master
    BTW, this is likely not the right forum to ask IMHO. There are very few who have shot 1000 yards. I used to be a member of a sniper forum and they will have more people doing what you want to do.

When I purchased mine, the Vortex Razor HD 5-20 was well thought of; but that was 5-6 years ago and there are likely better choices now. I have never shot at that distance so cannot give a recommendation.

Good luck
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    BTW, this is likely not the right forum to ask IMHO. There are very few who have shot 1000 yards. I used to be a member of a sniper forum and they will have more people doing what you want to do.
    I can name you at least a dozen castboolit members that are 1,000 yard competitors. I do agree that places like Benchrest Central or various F-Class or Highpower or long range forums may better address your question. The PRS forums may be a good source but they are the new kids on the block and lots on there are just keyboard experts but not like the sniper forums. The sniper forums have a very large keyboard commando problem. Disseminating truth from fiction can be a challenge.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-17-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I can name you at least a dozen castboolit members that are 1,000 yard competitors. I do agree that places like Benchrest Central or various F-Class or Highpower or long range forums may better address your question. The PRS forums may be a good source but they are the new kids on the block and lots on the are just keyboard experts but not like the sniper forums. The sniper forums have a very large keyboard commando problem. Disseminating truth from fiction can be a challenge.

Banned

Schmidt & Bender.......you'll never look back!
    Last edited by smithnframe; 11-17-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawke View Post
    There are many "tacti'cool" scopes priced from $200 +/- up to $4000+ that will get you to 1000m. You get what you pay for with optics in quality, durability and tracking ability, as mentioned by M-Tecs. Really need to know your price range to make a recommendation/suggestion.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I can name you at least a dozen castboolit members that are 1,000 yard competitors. I do agree that places like Benchrest Central or various F-Class or Highpower or long range forums may better address your question. The PRS forums may be a good source but they are the new kids on the block and lots on there are just keyboard experts but not like the sniper forums. The sniper forums have a very large keyboard commando problem. Disseminating truth from fiction can be a challenge.
    A couple of dozen is not many IMHO. Not putting down members here...just think the OP would benefit from a forum more aligned with his needs.

When I frequented the Sniper forum it did not take long to weed out the chaff. Same as most forums.

BTW, I belong to a tractor forum and see the same thing. Not the best forum to get advice on selecting a rifle or caliber but it happens.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

good thing we have someone to tell us who is qualified to give advice.

Boolit Grand Master

I think we scared the OP off.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I think we scared the OP off.
    This is why I make it a point never to ask for this kind of advice. I've used the cheapest and the most expensive I can afford and I've had the pricey ones go bad and cheapies work out well. I've also had the cheap stuff take a dump on me in pretty short order.

If price was not a consideration I'd most likely buy the most expensive but I've found that this is not really necessary. A loose analogy would be Snap-On tools vs Harbor Freight tools. In the right hands even the cheaper tools will do the job. Some of today's cheaper scopes are the near equivalent to the high end scopes of yesteryear. Still, if you can afford it the logical thing to do is buy the expensive stuff and hope it gives you no trouble.

HollowPoint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast