WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: A story of the 40x(s)

Boolit Buddy

A story of the 40x(s)

I got to thinking on one of the Taurus raging bull threads, I should write down how I got into the Remington 40x.

My first rifle purchase was 40x.
    It was the late 1990’s and I owned a few revolvers ( king cobra= wedding present, old army and a Taurus ranging bull.)

This was well into the 454 craze. Taurus had just come out with a raging bull. I was unable to afford a freedom arms at that point in time and Taurus was a great option.

One day at the local gun store I came across this beautiful rifle, blued action, stainless barrel, wood stock and Olympic sites. It had all the accoutrements for high power shooting( I knew nothing about that at the time.)

I had to have it but I couldn’t afford it. I could not trade my wedding present in and the black powder pistol really wasn’t all that valuable. Thus the Taurus went up for trade and that plus cash I brought home my first 40 X. 7.62 x 51.
    (Now with Unertl programmer)

I shot it for a year or two with the open sights and decided it was time to own another one of these rifles. I then came across a 22LR Again with an Olympic set up but also in an unertl programmer on it. This was also my foray into these programmer scopes
    I swapped the scope onto the 7.62 x 51 and kept the open sights on the 22 after a while. Eventually I added the Womak front tube

Years later I began to think of getting a third one. I came across a nearly new 22 -250 from the 1960s. A risk, as this cartridge would tend to burn the barrel. The condition of the rifle appeared near new, I took the risk. Again, I topped it with an another programmer. To this day it shoots my best groups including my all time best.

Years later, I was browsing GunBroker one day. Of course searching for 40 X rifles, I came across a sporter style 40 X. I did not know much about them but there were no bids on the rifle, new in box in the $1500 range. I bought the rifle. I was happily surprised, it was better in person. Light, nimble and new. This was the single shot version. I didn’t really understand the rarity of this rifle at the time, but it didn’t matter I was going to shoot it anyway. I topped it with a Swarovski scope and off to the range. I started using the same rounds that my other 40X 22 rifle liked and right off the bat it was dialed in.

Likely, the journey would’ve ended there, fast forward may be another seven years or so. An older friend who had always remark that he loved my rifles at the range and told me that he owned a .222 that he had a shot in years and what I like to own it. It was just too heavy for him at this point in time. Enthusiastically I said yes, topped with a Lyman All-American, another 40x in the stable. I admit, I have slacked off and I haven’t worked up a load for this piece at this point in time. It has sat in the gun safe as I have moved forward with other projects.
    I do have a programmer for it but I may keep the Lyman, time will tell

Likely I will add one more someday, probably a composite stock, 220 swift.( Don’t judge me, LOL!) I have a beautiful Swarovski scope that needs to go on something and what better than another 40X!
    Last edited by Plastikosmd; 11-10-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Boolit Master

My name is Bill and I'm a rifle-holic……..
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Mighty fine looking and shooting collection.
    Tablets are so much easier to clean than keyboards, no place for the drool to go!

Moderator Emeritus

Very, very nice

Boolit Master

The 40x and the 700 are basically the same.
    Just like the Chevy Impala is like a NASCAR racing car. One has been reworked and fine tuned over the production line model.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    I just fell in love w the look back in the day. 700’s or full custom, they are all great. Once I find something I like, I tend to focus on it. (I buy sneakers 3 at a time also!)

Banned

Do you shoot cast through any of the 40Xs?

I wanted a dedicated cast target rifle, Remington makes their "Long Range" in .30-06, which I think is the only commercial factory heavy barreled .30-06 anymore. I'd rather have an '06 than a .308 for cast shooting and as stated, the 700 and 40X are basically the same.

I could never warm to the 700, like Model 70 Winchesters better as sporting rifles, but I may have one of those bull barreled .30-06s in my future.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t, I have a Schultz-Larson that was a cast gun. I went back to jacket but likely will be going back to cast
    It is a beast, runs on rails and bearings on custom sled
    Last edited by Plastikosmd; 11-10-2019 at 01:11 PM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Why stop at five if ya like them so ..................

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

As Darth Vader would say, "Impressive".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Why stop at five if ya like them so ..................

Jack
    Agree!

Boolit Buddy
    Good thread, I am not familiar with these rifles.

Remington also chambered the 40X in the wildcat cartridges 6x47mm, 6mm International, and 30-338 magnum. I almost got one in .222 Rem. Mag because it was a sweet deal but the walking hunter in me chose the 700ADL 22-250 right beside it in the Used gun rack. Donn Heath gun store 1981 Ft Worth, Texas-with my first big oilfield paycheck burning a hole in my pocket. Seems like yesterday.

Boolit Master
    I've had two in my career with guns. 1st was a 40x in 222 Remington, blued receiver and barrel.Forget what scope I had on it most likely a Unertl or Lyman Super target spot. Used to shoot only the Remington 52 grain match bullet IMR 4198 was the powder for that cartridge. Man that rifle was accurate. Very small groups. One of my dad's fellow co workers heard about it and eventually bought it. Second one came many years later. All laminated stock with thumb hole stock. This one was marked as 7.62 Nato on the barrel. Stainless steel action and barrel. Jury is still out on this one as I haven't fired it enough to form an opinon on it.Think I have some 60's era match and national match once fired cases somewhere. First choice would be the Sierra 168 match king. Might spring for a box of Lapua brass. Probably use IMR 4895 as a start. if anyone has any suggestions regarding bullets,powders or primers I'm all ears. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I will check my load, it looks like I got clipped off. If memory serves it was 38.5 grains of varget that I was shooting as noted in the picture. I will check bullet :case length etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one in 22-250 that was a very good shooter, but let it go when I got distracted by something else. I recently picked up an early US Property marked 22rf 40x on the 722 action with standard weight barrel. It came in a 700BDL stock, but I bought a used 40X stock for it as well. It's showed a lot of promise so far, but I have not had time to thoroughly wring it our yet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-05-18 U S Remington Model 40X Custom, 22 cal bolt action rifle, 28” barrel, “US .png 
Views:	12 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	251080

Boolit Master
    Only thing I didn't like on my 40x single shot was the very high comb on the stock. Some years back I bought 3-4 ex military single shot 40 stocks. Picked the best one and scraped ( have some wood workers scrapers you rub on the edges of the scraper),Use a hardened rod to create a burr and that edge does the scraping. Had the deepest penetration of stock finish I ever saw. Once down to bare wood, made a dutchman to fill the long slot where the Anshutz sling rail went. Glued everything and used some soft faced clamps too hold everything in place until the glue cured. A little stanley block plane brought the wood down to almost stock level. And sanded it level with the stock. Spare trigger guard now all I have to do is make up a set of pillars and a escutchon for the front receiver screw. Buddy comes over and sees it and wants to buy it. Talk about low buck offers. Showed him one of the other stocks and told him this can be yours with some work. I had at least 30 hours in mine not included were the trigger guard, bedding pillars and making the escutchon and the glass bedding, and refinishing the stock. When I pointed out that this was for a single shot rifle didn't seem such a good offer. Frank