Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: need help picking sights

Boolit Master

need help picking sights

I'm building a light weight single shot rifle using single shot 12ga "stub" method. I've got the barrel to the chamber and sight stage but I'm kinda confused about the sights.
    The bore to top of barrel at chamber is .410 (not yet chambered)
    The bore to top of barrel at muzzle is .175
    If my math is correct I need a ramp about .245 So what do I do with this info? I want a Buck Horn style rear sight and I think a fiber optic front dovetailed on a ramp to make up the difference in height. How are sights measured? Over all height or to the bottom of the bead? Is the dove tail included? I really need some help here! Any recommendations?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

There is a formula for determining sight height- Brownells had a chart and Williams probably does as well.
    What are you stubbing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thanks TBG! I had no idea about a chart, I started looking on Brownells and saw all the different heights and got kind of lost real quick. I used an old Savage with a squished barrel and cut that down and inserted a .35 cal blank turned down to fit the 12ga chamber and bore. You are the one that inspired me to try this. I think it will make a nice walking around rifle. I post up some pics when its done.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington