Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzleloader Bucks

Boolit Master

Muzzleloader Bucks

My first double with a muzzleloader! Ranchdog 270 432 (ACCOWW) in a Hornady Sabot over 80 grains of Blackhorn 209. First was at 125 yards or so. Stopped him with a "hey" and let fly. Hit him high on the shoulder. Dropped him, but he managed to get up and make it to woods before I could follow up. Gave him a bit then got down to look for him, he was just inside the woods, probably a 50-60 yard run. Smallest 8 pt ever! Damage wasn't as much as I would like. I might try soft lead next year, should work fine with the sabot.

It was early, so I figured I'd get back in the stand for a while. Wasn't 15 minutes before the second buck showed up. He was headed away at 30 yards or so though light brush. I tried to stop him in a gap with the same "hey", but he took another step before he stopped. All I could see was his head, but I had a rock solid hold on it, so I let it go. DRT.

One's in the fridge, and the other is skinned and hanging. Its going to freeze hard tonight, so I'm going to try and get him put up before bed, but in the meantime I need a nap!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 11-09-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    My first double with a muzzleloader. Ranchdog 270 432 (ACCOWW) in a Hornady Sabot over 80 grains of Blackhorn 209. First was at 125 yards or so. Stopped him with a "hey" and let fly. Hit him high on the shoulder. Dropped him, but he managed to get up and make it to woods before I could follow up. Gave him a bit then got down to look for him, he was just inside the woods, probably a 50-60 yard run. Smallest 8 pt ever! Damage wasn't as much as I would like. I might try soft lead next year, should work fine with the sabot.

It was early, so I figured I'd get back in the stand for a while. Wasn't 15 minutes before the second buck showed up. He was headed away at 30 yards or so though light brush. I tried to stop him in a gap with the same "hey", but he took another step before he stopped. All I could see was his head, but I had a rock solid hold on it, so I let it go. DRT.

One's in the fridge, and the other is skinned and hanging. Its going to freeze hard tonight, so I'm going to try and get him put up before bed, but in the meantime I need a nap!
    Excellent! well done.

Boolit Man
    Nicely done, congratulations. Keep yer powder dry...……...robin

Very nice. What would you think they weighed on the hoof?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Very nice. What would you think they weighed on the hoof?
    My guess is around 120. I've shot a couple 160s (verified) out of the same field.

Banned

Congrats, good shooting.

I forget how small deer are down south even though I grew up there. By the time they're a year old, our does here are all at least that big.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Congrats, good shooting.

I forget how small deer are down south even though I grew up there. By the time they're a year old, our does here are all at least that big.
    They get even smaller towards the coast! Many years ago, I was at the beach and I hit a very mature buck with my car, he was certainly under 100 lbs. I was near Omaha a while back and couldn't get over the size of the tracks!
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 11-09-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Banned

I had been living in Kansas about three years when I went hunting with some guys and saw my first really mature buck up close on the ground. The thing looked like a horse to me. And yet, no one freaked, the other guys were like "nice one! Throw him in the truck".

I've shot a few pretty good ones, but it's been a while. Killed one with the cross bow about three years ago, rack was OK, but body size he was a four+ year old midwest buck. I butchered him out myself and it had been a while since I'd done a full grown one myself, thought I was never gonna be done cutting meat. They grow them big here in the heartland.

Yeah, I asked because they looked small to me. The 2 or 3 year old mulie doe I got last year was around 150 on the hoof. The whitetail yearling I shot this year looked to be close to 100 pounds.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Nice job, should be some prime eating there.

Boolit Master
    do you know muzzle velocity?

Boolit Master

Excellent!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Great Job. That will be some good eating.

Great shooting , that messes with you to watch them hit the ground like then get back up and take off any where .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    do you know muzzle velocity?
    1700-1800 fps if I remember correctly.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Great shooting and Congrats!

Is the RD .432 270, cast with TL grooves or regular grease groves? IMHO, I would use nothing softer that your ACCOWW and I would water drop them for a harder projectile.

I believe SF is remembering the velocity correctly. Not knowing rifle or barrel length he is using. The testing I have done with BH209 indicates that 80gr Volume measure of BH209 will give the equivalent velocity of 105 Gr Volume of 2F black or Pyrodex RS. 80 gr Volume measure of BH209 will push the smooth sided .452, 265 gr projectile I cast at 1750 FPS from my 24" barrel using Harvester sabots.

Aim small, hit small,

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Thanks!, but why harder? Only reason I could see is to harden up the edges of meplat for better cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    Great shooting and Congrats!

Is the RD .432 270, cast with TL grooves or regular grease groves? IMHO, I would use nothing softer that your ACCOWW and I would water drop them for a harder projectile.

I believe SF is remembering the velocity correctly. Not knowing rifle or barrel length he is using. The testing I have done with BH209 indicates that 80gr Volume measure of BH209 will give the equivalent velocity of 105 Gr Volume of 2F black or Pyrodex RS. 80 gr Volume measure of BH209 will push the smooth sided .452, 265 gr projectile I cast at 1750 FPS from my 24" barrel using Harvester sabots.

Aim small, hit small,

Ken

USMC 77, USRA 79

awesome kill... a double is a beautiful thing, till the work starts... what a blessing.... I have just one more to get and I am done for the season....

i like em a bit softer for expansion purposes..

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Why Harder, for the same reason Harvester sells hard cast in all there bullet sabot combos. it was my findings that softer cast than 50/50 with grooves would obturate unevenly in a 452/50 cal sabot when shot.

Recovered sabots and projectiles from snow banks showed sabot pedals stressed unevenly and lopsided projectiles. That is why I contacted Verel Smith more than 10 yrs ago and ordered my first smooth sided mold. 452-320-LFN. Veral recommended hard cast,( Verel Smith made the molds for Harvester Hard cast projectiles ) water droped boolitz and 12 or 15 yrs later I now have 2 other smooth sided molds. One, I modified an old 45 cal maxi mold by cutting the grooves out and shortening the block with my lathe.

Hard cast water dropped has shot great and the large meplat has harvested many deer from the many rifles of many friends and my family that I have provided projectiles for.

Ken

PS: lube grooves or regular groves on your Ranch Dog?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Tumble lube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast