Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Weaver to Picatinny adaptor question

Boolit Master

Weaver to Picatinny adaptor question

Hi,
    It wasn't until I went to mount a Vortex prism sight onto a Beretta NEOS .22 pistol that I realized that I had a problem.

Since I have had no experience with "Picatinny" rails before, I thought that the sight base that came with my Vortex sight was the standard Weaver style mounting system.

I assumed that the term Picatinny Rail was a clever term coined by the G.I. Joe Tacticool crowd to describe a Weaver mounting system.

There is more to it than that I found out.

Due to the fact that the weaver slots are cut for a round thru bolt/screw and the "Picatinny" ones are square, I'm going to need an adaptor to fit this sight onto my weaver equipped NEOS peestola.

Upon looking for an adaptor, I am getting lots of hits for standard 3/8" or 11 mm dovetail to Picatinny but not actually what I am looking for.

Does anyone know where I can get an adaptor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Tried Vortex and having no luck with ebay either.

Maybe J.C.Whitney?

If the Neos base is removable, get an extra one to file on to make fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yeah , Too much $ into an already cheap gun. OK gun but not worth putting much money into. Thanks for the advice though!

Boolit Master
    Found a place that has them in stock and not too bad of a price. After doing some shooting this afternoon with the gun, decided to put the money into it. Turns out there's some spacing differences and slot width differences too so looks like some file work is in order.

Boolit Buddy

And where is this place ? I am thinking of placing a picatinny unit on my SW 657 PC which has a , you guessed it, weaver mount
    Last edited by ga41; 01-27-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Not familiar with Beretta's version of Picatinny rails. However, I use both Picatinny and Weaver, interchangeably on a lot of different firearms. The only firearm, that I own that has true Picatinny rail is my Armalite AR-10 carbine. I use Luepold QD rings, made for Weaver bases, for conventional scopes on that Armalite. When I switch to a red dot, I use a Trijicon reflex with their Picatinny base.

That same Trijicon reflex and base will fit on any of my other firearms that have Weaver style bases. My Marlin 1894, for example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2323.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	255588

I have never ran across a Weaver base with round cut slots. However, I have ran across, rounded thru bolts............ they will work on a square cut case. Not the case, the other way around.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I simply file the round Weave slots square...…….some newer Weaver bases already have the slots squared.

I believe the "Picatinny" name comes from the Arsenal where the first ones were made for military M24 and M40A1 sniper rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

I’ll have to check what Smith&Wesson did on the PC guns, but I’ll pass on modifying a gun that was a limited run... I think ?

Boolit Grand Master

My bad, didn't know the rail was integral. Thought it was just a Weaver type base screwed on...….
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

This may sound dumb, is there a way to stick round bolts thru the square sights holes to fit the base on the gun?
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy

Possibly.